PDA

View Full Version : A Wii bit of a Overheating Problem

wraggster
December 26th, 2006, 23:32
via wiinis (http://wiinis.com/Wii_Overheat.htm)

So, Brie and I have been very happy with our Wii so far. It's awesome. But yesterday we started noticing something odd. Brie was playing Elebits when I got home and I quickly commented that there was some funny looking white static. Brie then said that it was REALLY bad in dark areas. She continued to play and I noticed what she was talking about. It was not so bad that you couldn't play the game, and maybe while playing it's not so bad, but for someone watching the game, it's horrible. My first thought was that it was the TV. We just got a 50" plasma and I figured it might be having some problems. So we switched the Wii over to our 32" CRT. Same problem.

Update:

Nintendo called me back. They said it was a problem they are aware of. They think the video cards are overheating and getting damaged. The only problem is that my Wii has never been in an enclosed space. It was under my entertainment center on it's side for a while, but the back fan was unobstructed. Also, I've started hearing about more and more people having this problem. This could turn out to be a big expense for Nintendo as it is a major "fix." I live in Seattle so I'm going to just take my Wii and get it swapped out for a new one (they have a machine that transfers all the virtual content and other stuff).

Anyone else suffered this problem ?

zorbas
December 27th, 2006, 00:34
whoa... and I thought I was the only person with a wii that messes up when it overheats... anything we can do to resolve this before it dies? :confused:

acn010
December 27th, 2006, 00:39
omg, thank god i haven't bought my Wii, thats a great aert for me, ill wait till the system is fully updated

orochi-x
December 27th, 2006, 02:42
My Wii is almost continuously on....Even when I'm at work , there's some relative or other round my house!

So far , I've had no such problem.

Demolition49
December 27th, 2006, 02:51
Thats not somthing i would like to hear... i hope this doesnt happen to mine, i used it pretty much all the time since i got it at xmas but no probs... i hope i can go back to hmv and exchange it for a new one.

shadowprophet
December 27th, 2006, 03:00
I took it out of its box, set everything up. and then I noticed it was over heating.
my problem seemed to be the disc shaped peice of plastic the stand sits on. it actually raises the stand up very slightly to allow heat exaust to escape.
Anyhoo. after placing it on a flat nonobstructed surface. my wii never heated up again.
in short the fan on the back of the wii is an intake. the fan on the bottom is exaust. make sure both are completely free of any obstructins at all times. and your wii shouldnt overheat unless you have a defective unit..

VampDude
December 27th, 2006, 13:01
my Wii overheats even when it's off, I've figured that I have to unplug it when not in use (overnight) which sucks cause I like to just press the power button and play when I get up

iniquitous_beast
December 28th, 2006, 20:09
my Wii overheats even when it's off, I've figured that I have to unplug it when not in use (overnight) which sucks cause I like to just press the power button and play when I get up

Anybody know why it does that? My wii is very warm all of the time - even after being turned off for many hours. It is weird.

VampDude
December 28th, 2006, 21:29
Anybody know why it does that? My wii is very warm all of the time - even after being turned off for many hours. It is weird.

have no idea, all I know is my Wii will be short lived due to overheating...

...thou I think it has something to do with the Wii not being able to be tuned off properly, it seems to always be in standby mode (not a real power on/off button)

cswallstreet
December 29th, 2006, 00:25
The Wii will be hot when it is in Standbye mode becuase the fan shuts off ( Standbye mode is when the light is orange) i would recommend shutting it down via holding down the button longer to get the red light if you dont plan on using you Wii for a while.

youdonotexist
December 29th, 2006, 04:57
I've found that the Wii runs a lot cooler when on it is standing on its side on a flat surface.

Accordion
December 29th, 2006, 12:39
The Wii will be hot when it is in Standbye mode becuase the fan shuts off ( Standbye mode is when the light is orange) i would recommend shutting it down via holding down the button longer to get the red light if you dont plan on using you Wii for a while.

it doesnt work like that.

orange light means Wii connect 24 is live

red light means Wiiconnect24 is also off

simply go to settings and turn connect24 to off when in standby mode...as far as i know when you turn the conole on then connect24 becomes live again until you go back to standby.

i have noticed the console is warmer than i would be comfortable with, so i just turned off wii24's standby mode...kinda kills the point...but oh well!
i guess the power consumption rae of the wii in standby is only so low because the fans are off, sneaky!

devdj
December 29th, 2006, 13:11
it's probably the size of the wii that's problem not enough air circulation i'd say, so nintendo have another thing to worry about as well as well as there crappy straps.