PDA

View Full Version : e-Di Games: The Microtransactions Begin?

wraggster
December 29th, 2006, 17:06
via chubigans (http://blogs.ign.com/chubigans/)

Microtransactions sounds like a dirty word, perhaps because we associate it with things like paying for content we had gotten for free before (I’m looking at you, Madden) or perhaps paying for outfits that adds virtually nothing to the gameplay (darn you Viva Pinata!).

But there is a bright side to microtransactions...and that’s the ones that you actually feel like paying for. The Co-op for Blast Factor coming in January is a good example...if that runs at a good price, I’m all for adding it to my game.

It seems devs are ready to add content to their games, but there’s a huge, major factor in deciding whether or not to create more levels or add-ons to a network game...and that’s obviously the performance of sales. Gripshift for the PS3 is set to get some neat add-ons in the future such as a track editor, and of course I’ve mentioned the Blast Factor expansion. Heck, Go Sudoku already has several packs available to buy online. But what about future and present games already on your hard drive?

One team, Team 17 to be precise, is ready to dish out more content for Lemmings PS3:

“We're dead chuffed with it...hopefully it'll be so successful we'll get to do some more level packs/additions for it!”

flOw, set to release in January, has some plans to evolve over time, or as IGN reported:

“Future updates are also supposed to include multiplayer or other modes, and ostensibly the game will continually be updated on a monthly basis.”

What does that mean exactly? Well, here’s what Kellee (president of thatgamescompany) said earlier this fall:

”At launch only localized multiplayer will be available, but I will say I think it is soooo much fun! I can't wait until we can execute an online multiplayer mode - if people respond well to the local version, I think we will have a good argument for Sony to do it.”

That was back in October, and seeing as how IGN reported the future update part in December...perhaps Sony was convinced. They did buy the company, after all.

It’ll be interesting to see how these games expand...it seems to be heading in a different direction than Xbox Live Arcade. Whether or not devs pull through and deliver is something that we’ll have to see for ourselves.

Like I said...it should be interesting.