PDA

View Full Version : World of Sand (beta)

wraggster
December 31st, 2006, 15:37
New release from nornagon (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=12027)

Hi all,

World of Sand (beta 1)

I hacked this up over the last couple of days and the folks on #dsdev seemed to enjoy it, so I thought I'd link it here for your pleasure.

Note that the idea for the game isn't original; the code is mostly from a clone I made of the game by Dofi (written in Java, eugh).

The performance isn't great yet, but it's acceptable. The code will be released when I get around to dropping it on a version control system, under the GPL. There are a bunch more features I plan to add, including:

a title screen

more materials/combinations (steam, ash, snow, ideas welcome)

portrait view

a hideable toolbox instead of the arrow-key-selected icons

a way to stop/start the flow of individual sources

different brush sizes

timer and particle count on the top screen

save/load to png

Download Here --> http://2-2-dihexanol.net/worldofsand.nds

directive0
December 31st, 2006, 18:37
:thumbup:

Very very cool, I've waited for someone to make a decent homebrew answer to sand on the DS for a little while now. With some spit and polish this would be an EXCELLENT little piece of software.

lolmasta
January 1st, 2007, 13:05
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS
In the sand game forums someone made a sucky port.
I hope this is awesome!

souLLy
January 1st, 2007, 18:40
heh, I posted months ago that I'd love to see this ported to the ds. Glad to see someone gave it a try :D

kcajblue
January 1st, 2007, 19:05
this is better than the PSP one.
setting stuff on fire is fun. :D

JazW
January 22nd, 2007, 21:44
How about lava - hot and firey then cools to a solid, quenched by water, etc?

rawfodog
February 1st, 2007, 02:31
definitely add some EXPLOSIONS like in pyro sand, You know C4 dynamite, perhaps even fuse... nothing is fun without explosions!!! =P

Sigma83
February 1st, 2007, 06:12
This is nifty. Is there a point, or are u to just mess around and create pretty pictures? :)

Category
February 3rd, 2007, 17:07
One feature I would definatly like to see - a button to stop and start the sand flowing! Or am I just being stupid and missed one?

Either way, this is a lovely little toy, and could be brilliant with a little more work!

Retrophoenix
March 9th, 2008, 22:52
How about the added affect that when you burn sand it creates glass?

Killa-X
March 9th, 2008, 23:42
Better idea, Hows about you make it work with reading txt files like the normle game. >_>

DanTheManMS
March 10th, 2008, 00:02
Why the heck would a sand game read text files?

Killa-X
March 10th, 2008, 01:06
They all do. I got 20 mods downloaded for the PC version of falling sand game. From normle, to chemicals, batteries, hot plates, pumps, etc. Even made a few of my own mods.

They make a sand game that u can download to your PC, and download new elements (text files)

HCampbell
February 6th, 2009, 14:05
the links dead and this sounds really good.