PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Gentoo Linux Released - Gentoo PPC64 PS3 LiveCD is in BETA

wraggster
January 2nd, 2007, 00:35
via brent baude (http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/ranger/2006/12/24/gentoo_ppc64_ps3_livecd_is_in_beta)

I'm pleased to announce that a BETA LiveCD for PS3s and PowerMacs is making it's way onto the Gentoo mirrors as I write this. The LiveCD can be found on the mirrors in the ppc64 experimental section. You can check out a screenshot from the LiveCD at:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/ppc64/ps3/beta.jpg

The LiveCD works on PS3s and G5 Apple PowerMacs. It contains a full Gnome desktop as well as:

Firefox-2x (Bon Echo)
Audacious
Xchat
Gaim
Evolution
Gimp-2
Among other things, we plan to add Thunderbird in the near future.

Please feel free to download and test the LiveCD; however, do not, under any circumstances, report bugs via Gentoo's official bugzilla mechanism. I'd prefer join us on #gentoo-ppc64 to report feedback.

Note to PS3 Users

The LiveCD contains a kboot.conf file which should allow you to boot the LiveCD. Choose the label that most closely matches your TV's resolution. This is an area where we plan to put some future enhancements.

Sound

Sound should be functional on the LiveCD. You need to unmute the master channel with the alsa-mixer application.

I would like to thank each of the following for their participation in the LiveCD creation: lu_zero, mtb, nickthecook, deadfall, wolf3l02, and mmschnei. Sorry if I missed anyone.

Merry Christmas,

Ranger

Links etc at the link above

mike03$$$
January 2nd, 2007, 17:50
So how do u get this to work because I have a cd burner not a dvd burner so can this go on the cd

F9zDark
January 2nd, 2007, 20:51
So how do u get this to work because I have a cd burner not a dvd burner so can this go on the cd

I doubt it, most full featured Linux distros are like 4 CDs or 1 DVD. I believe the PS3 boot loader only supports DVD booting.

I got YDL 5.0 but I don't like it much. The only real benefit was that is was optimized for the PS3 hardware. If it didn't take so damn long to install, I'd try Gentoo, but without an HDTV, Linux on TV looks like absolute shit.

Scratch that above about it being a DVD, the site keeps mentioning CDs so I guess it is a CD image.

magneto
January 16th, 2007, 22:17
where do you get the program???

magneto
January 16th, 2007, 22:28
Disregard last message i found it but wondering is there a easier way to install this for those of us newbies???

F9zDark
January 17th, 2007, 00:14
There really isn't any easy way to install Linux or even use it. Linux is not really a newbies' operating system. I am gonna wait a while before I put linux back on my PS3. For starters, I want Sony to remove the shitty choice of partition sizes 10gb or Full... Allow us the option to specify exactly who much we want...

Secondly I am waiting because there really isn't much you can do on Linux on the PS3 just yet, besides play emus, surf the web and word process. Until we get graphics acceleration, will games be limited to that.

Psumoni
January 17th, 2007, 01:19
Don't forget how great it is to be able to play divx, avi, wmv, mpeg, mp3... you name it. Just get gentoo installed and type 'emerge mplayer' in the console. You may have to set the sound system to SDlib with Alsa, but after that it's smooth sailing.

NoQuarter
April 5th, 2007, 16:20
looks like gentoo for my ps3,at least until I can get some slack.
I wonder how hard it would be to make slack work on the ps3...

potatoman
April 6th, 2007, 18:21
iyo (on your opinion) is this better than ydl or not? should i go fedora core 5? or wait for my hdtv in july before installing? any comments appreciated.

F9zDark
April 6th, 2007, 19:19
Screw Fedora Core, it blows ass. YDL was MADE for the PS3, but to get it 'legitimately' you'll have to buy it. I feel Linux should always be free, so I procured it.

Gentoo Live CD is good, but you can't do much with it since its boots Gentoo right off the CD. Installing it would be your best bet, but as I said, YDL was made for the PS3 and will most certainly be the OS to get the most out of it (since Sony is 'helping' Terra Soft with it; to an extent. As well Terra Soft will be the company to make Sony's development platform for the PS3; which will allow us to make homebrew.)