PDA

View Full Version : Popstation iso compression

Xarius
January 2nd, 2007, 05:49
Just curious, what are the chances of someone backwards-engineering the PS1 emulator and popstation to the point of running compressed ISOs? 700 Megs is an awful lot of space for one game on a memory card. The ones downloaded from the PS3 are compressed, so it is possible.

I'm extremely pleased with the current incarnation of OE-B, Popstation, etc. but I'd like to find out if anyone's working on the compression to make it even better. I'd hate to convert my entire ps1 library (not a small undertaking) only to have to re-copy them in a month with a new format.

splodger15
January 2nd, 2007, 10:12
They cannot be compressed to a smaller size yet

hodgy47
January 2nd, 2007, 12:21
You can use Dax ziso to compress to a smaller size however you will have to install dax ziso in game150 folder if your using 3.02oe-b to mount the images so you can play them it works on psp iso's so it might be worth trying for ps1 you only need to use an iso that you know works and then just compress the one and run if its runs perfect if not you only wasted a little of your time might give it a go myself.

jak66
January 2nd, 2007, 12:29
psp isos are totally different to psx isos, it will not work at all

Oraichu
January 2nd, 2007, 13:15
"Maybe" it could work if Sony started compressing the official PSX games to a smaller format.

jak66
January 2nd, 2007, 14:01
"Maybe" it could work if Sony started compressing the official PSX games to a smaller format.

...RTFM

Q: My game generated is a lot bigger in size than the same one from the PS3 Store.
A: They use compression. Because the algorithm of compression is not still cracked, compressed isos are not supported yet.

Tinnus
January 2nd, 2007, 19:41
Yeah, like don't answer if you don't have a clue what the OP is saying or if you don't have a clue about the answer.

And splodger, once more a useless and obvious post :rolleyes:, no wonder you have over 2700 posts.

jak66
January 2nd, 2007, 20:42
Tinnus, no offence but wasnt your post also useless?

To answer the question;
what are the chances of someone backwards-engineering the PS1 emulator and popstation to the point of running compressed ISOs?that is hopeful what DAX is doing now, and if he is it would probably be in OE-C

Lodis
January 2nd, 2007, 22:51
Dax confirmed that he was working on Psx ISO compression on a thread in Maxconsole some time ago. He said he wasn't sure if he would be using his own method or Sonys method yet. Of course it will need to be reverse engineered to understand how it works before any method custom or ''official'' could be used. Don't worry because he confirmed this after being asked the exact same question.

Xarius
January 2nd, 2007, 23:13
Thanks, Lodis, for making a post that actually answered the question :)

Tinnus
January 3rd, 2007, 02:43
jak66: Yes, sorry. I was just playing moderator a little because this forum is getting too messy :p

I was going to say something useful for I gorgot due to being carried away by that moderator spirit.

Sorry again :p

GuitarGod1134
January 4th, 2007, 00:20
Simply search for a ps1 iso compresser make sure it doesnt change the format and if it does make sure its compatible with the popstation. But ya there are plenty of ps1 iso compressers just gotta look.

tsurumaru
January 4th, 2007, 00:39
Simply search for a ps1 iso compresser make sure it doesnt change the format and if it does make sure its compatible with the popstation. But ya there are plenty of ps1 iso compressers just gotta look.

Clearly you've missed the point of this whole thread, popstation is only compatible with Sony's compression format RLZ, Dark AleX is working on incorporating this into the 3.03OE-A Custom Firmware release.

GuitarGod1134
January 4th, 2007, 02:18
So even if I compressed my iso, and it remained in iso format it would not work?

sok98
January 4th, 2007, 03:41
Nope, just wait till tomorow 3.03 oe-a is comming out and it apparently can support compressed isos or it can compress the eboot one of the two lol.

Gizmo356
January 4th, 2007, 03:49
No, but I think dax has will include this in his next cf release.

GuitarGod1134
January 4th, 2007, 12:50
So I cant play warcraft that sucks. I thougth I could compress it.