PDA

View Full Version : Wii Weather: Pretty, but Almost Useless

wraggster
January 3rd, 2007, 03:07
via mattIGN (http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2007/01/01/41843/)

If you want to know what the weather was like eight hours ago in your city, Nintendo's Wii Forecast Channel is amazing. But if you want up-to-date information on the weather, you're in trouble. I don't know if it's Nintendo's issue or if it's a shortcoming of the data provider, weathernews, but whatever the case, the Wii Forecast Channel is rarely, if ever adequately up-to-date.

I hope someone gets their act together because if the data was current, Wii Forecast would be a great little extra. I actually check it out daily for a quick snapshot of the weather around the world. The Globe function is amazingly well done, but again, it's discouraging to look at the world map and see that it's sunny in Los Angeles but somehow the moon is out only a few miles away in Redondo Beach.

Nintendo, if you're going to do this stuff, make sure it works. Whether that means ensuring WiiConnect24 is more timely or going with a different provider, do it. Otherwise, don't bother at all.

JAMIS
January 3rd, 2007, 18:38
The other strange thing I have noticed on the Globe section is that the weather icons for Japan are different to everywhere else, almost cartoon like.

Kramer
January 3rd, 2007, 19:33
When do you ever need to know the current temperature anyway?

Shrygue
January 3rd, 2007, 20:12
I don't have a Wii or a TV but can check weather forcasts online with my PC.

No PC maybe: well, just look out your window or step outside and you'll know what the current weather is like.

Looks like Nintendo has some work to do to make the Wii weather feature more reliable.