PDA

View Full Version : Quake DS News

wraggster
January 3rd, 2007, 12:34
Simon Hall posted some more news of his port of Quake to the DS:

Hi, first up I hope everyone had a great Christmas and a new year!
It's back to work tomorrow for some of us :-(

Anyway I nearly quit QuakeDS a few weeks ago - Christmas eve and my CF card decides to die. I go around town looking for cheap cards but of course there are none... When I finally get a couple of them I get home and my gbamp refuses to boot from them! I coax my old CF card back into working again, only to blow another fuse inside my DS! So basically I'd gone home for the Christmas period with nothing to do but Quake and I'd just bricked my DS. Not cool.

But anyway, once I got back in London it was straight onto eBay to get myself the screwdriver to open the thing, then once it arrived there was a fruitless hunt for solder so I could fix the thing. But I'm back up and running now!

So regarding the game progess, all brush models are now textured (mostly) correctly. Some texture co-ordinates don't line up properly but I'm not gonna bother looking into that for a bit. I also just the other day solved the weird texture problems and palette corruption, so it now looks fantastic :-)

One bi-product of fixing the texture weirdness was that it has forced me to do more transformations in hardware, improving the performance. It has also broken the Alias model rendering - something I'm going to work on next. I then spent today completely pulling apart the poly generation/dispatch to use absolutely no floating-point numbers, removing the software clipping (which is a shame) and putting even more transformations into the hardware. But it's been totally worth it and the frame rate is just dynamite :-D

Video Here --> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/simonhall/textured.avi

canvasch
January 3rd, 2007, 14:24
this will never come out.. i'll believe it when i see it... till then i'm going to roll my eyes..

Junixx
January 3rd, 2007, 16:42
this will never come out.. i'll believe it when i see it... till then i'm going to roll my eyes..

Why do you say that....

oregono
January 3rd, 2007, 17:59
I am SOOOOO glad this is still coming along. This is one of the homebrews i am looking the most forward to. This really and the amplitude port (which is out). Nice work DONT QUIT!!!!

MasterMan
January 3rd, 2007, 18:51
See the video for yourself, think again :)

kcajblue
January 3rd, 2007, 18:59
this is looking good.
keep up the good work. :D

Mourningstar
January 4th, 2007, 02:46
****ing badass man!

Please, if you can, make this work with G6!

simonjhall
January 4th, 2007, 11:03

Not that I wanna expand upon my huge "Quake, yeah" thread on gbadev, but yeah, this thing is coming out at some point - even if it kills me! I've probably spent about eight weeks on this now, and I could see it taking another eight weeks... There's no way I'm gonna let this drag on for an entire year though!

If you don't believe me, do you want a binary? :-P

Oh and support for G6? I'm gonna try and support as many cards as possible but I already had problems with the Supercard so I'm gonna get one soon. If I can get my hands on a G6 I'll make it work.

EDIT: y'know that this isn't the same port as the one that was announced at the beginning of last year, right?

souLLy
January 4th, 2007, 12:05
Nice work man, I think that you've nuked your bandwidth with that avi though :) think you could stick it up on youtube for us?

Amethyst
January 4th, 2007, 12:22
Anyway I nearly quit QuakeDS a few weeks ago - Christmas eve and my CF card decides to die. I go around town looking for cheap cards but of course there are none... When I finally get a couple of them I get home and my gbamp refuses to boot from them! I coax my old CF card back into working again, only to blow another fuse inside my DS! So basically I'd gone home for the Christmas period with nothing to do but Quake and I'd just bricked my DS. Not cool.

Jesus, do you want a horseshoe or something?

Good to hear the project's moving.

simonjhall
January 4th, 2007, 12:44
I like the message you get from that web page- it gives hope, then smashes it! I'm expecting an email from my ISP later :-(

"Are you the owner of this site?" Yes!
"Please read Terms & Conditions on bandwidth usage." Oh...

How much is excessive? It'd be a nice indication of the amount of people who have viewed it. I'm at work at the mo and I don't think I have the vid on here, so I'll try rehosting it when I get back later.

And if you've got horseshoes, fancy clovers, etc send them my way! My CF card properly died last night! Some higher power really doesn't like Quake...

wraggster
January 4th, 2007, 12:46
how big was the vid, maybe it could be uploaded here

hi btw :)

HaloJ
January 4th, 2007, 13:08
It was just under 10Mb. Wraggy I've sent you a PM with a link to it if you wish to upload it.

Abs

simonjhall
January 4th, 2007, 21:03
I've rehosted the video on youtube, so check it out if you've not seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIA7VHEBulM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIA7VHEBulM

MasterMan
January 5th, 2007, 02:26
Can i hope to play mods in my DS, like The Ascession of Vigil? Wi-Fi planned?
BTW, you can get some feedback for The Fragger about windows/dreamcast quake engines and such.

simonjhall
January 5th, 2007, 08:15
Can i hope to play mods in my DS, like The Ascession of Vigil? Wi-Fi planned?Yes you will be able to play mods and total conversions, as long as they're light enough on RAM. And yes, wifi works but it won't be in version one

BTW, you can get some feedback for The Fragger about windows/dreamcast quake engines and such.Err...eh?