PDA

View Full Version : My New Desktop (if you guys aprove it)

abeisgreat
January 4th, 2007, 07:38
So I am pissed off at Windows so I am going to make a New desktop with 5 or 6 OSs (mainly linux) and here are the main parts im buyin. Please tell me if you think this will make a nice desktop:

Harddrive (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2467679&CatId=134)
Wireless Card (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1272636&Sku=T156-2114)
Motherboard (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2665470&CatId=0)
Power Supply (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2751540&CatId=0)
Ram (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2737294&Sku=C19-7000)
Case
(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1800612&Sku=ULT33117)

P.S. Some parts are more important than others. Also I already have Dvd burner, etc.

dejkirkby
January 4th, 2007, 08:49
The procesor and Ram are kinda slow dude. I like the tower though.

ACID
January 4th, 2007, 09:36
man you can buy a PC thats 5 times faster from compusa.com for less then what your paying in parts.

sony.1991
January 4th, 2007, 11:14
Get a AMD 64bit CPU and a 16x PCI - E graphics card and a mainboard capable of SATA II and DDR II ram.

Tomlo
January 4th, 2007, 11:16
I would recomend you go with an AMD setup, and buy from www.newegg.com if you can. I have never gotten a rebate back from tigerdirect and their shipping is a nightmare.

AMD would be a better bang for buck as long as your not looking for something top of the line, this is where intel shines. Get a sata drive instead of that IDE hard drive you can usually find them cheaper, and dont buy that DiabloTek powersupply unless you like your components well done.

Anyway look into an AMD single core, it would outperform that celeron D and would be cheaper, cooler, and more power efficent. A socket AM2 would be a smart move for a buget computer at this time and has nice future upgradability.

If your set on an intel then I would say save for a bit longer and buy something higher up.

abeisgreat
January 4th, 2007, 16:07
well i thinking about those parts cause first i need a small desktop thats portable yet pretty powerful and i honestly dont do much besides internet, and some flash stuff.

dejkirkby
January 4th, 2007, 16:16
well i thinking about those parts cause first i need a small desktop thats portable yet pretty powerful and i honestly dont do much besides internet, and some flash stuff.

If you need something portable, you will be better off with a notebook.

abeisgreat
January 4th, 2007, 17:39
I already have a laptop with 3.20ghz w/500gb harddrive and 2gb of ram and I use it alot and I just wanted some that was cheap pretty powerful and if i needed i could move it

ACID
January 4th, 2007, 18:06
I already have a 3.20ghz w/500gb harddrive and 2gb of ram and I use it alot and I just wanted some that was cheap pretty powerful and if i needed i could move it

Then why not just get a notebook?????

Man
January 4th, 2007, 18:11
He has a note book, he just wants to be able to move his PC? maybe ? lol, id sudjest a Mac Mini, there pretty portable.

abeisgreat
January 4th, 2007, 18:23
I dont like mac and I want to be able to move my desktop if i have to but i also want is cheap and relatively powerful

Tomlo
January 4th, 2007, 21:16
Get a Athlon 64 Single core for socket AM2, A motherboard with good integrated graphics like a Geforce 6150 based AM2 Motherboard, one GB of DDRII RAM or atleast 512MB, A sata II Hard Drive, A Micro-ATX case with a nice handle, and a decent powersupply.

A setup like this will be mobile, affordable, and powerful.

When you need to move it it would basically be like moving a gamecube...

dvdhl89
January 6th, 2007, 16:03
The procesor and Ram are kinda slow dude. I like the tower though.

Agree, for the processor I recommend a Pentium4, or if you can afford it a CoreDuo. For RAM use DDR2. SATA for HDD. And if you would like to use tower cases then I recommend Raidmax cases, the new ones, like mine which is Sagitta, with a tooless design, and you can place your hdds easier.

semicolo
January 7th, 2007, 14:42
Double check linux compatibility of your wireless card. (would be nice if fully compatible, not just with ndiswrapper).

S34MU5
January 7th, 2007, 15:25
its balls,
you could get one better for cheaper

ebuyer.com (nothing to do with ebay) just a really good site.

also did you show us a proccessor there?

Smurph
January 24th, 2007, 06:46
Get a Core2 duo E6600. Core2's outperform anything AMD has at the moment, and are very reasonably priced.

splodger15
January 24th, 2007, 20:46
You have very weak specs. If you are going to use them for your rig

pibs
January 24th, 2007, 21:43
how about Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
2.99Ghz,2.00 GB of Ram i think its pretty powerful i have that duno wut else but everything runs quick and easy to dual boot win0s/linux

Cap'n 1time
January 24th, 2007, 22:02
... Why would you put more than 1 Linux distributions on one machine?

Hows about one with everything you want on it like the rest of the world?

abeisgreat
January 24th, 2007, 22:46
Cause each OS have pros and cons and to get an ok pc you need alot of them

Tomlo
January 24th, 2007, 23:05
Dont get a pentium D they are junk, either get a Pentium 4 (low bugget) -> Athlon 64 Single Core AM2 (Medium Buget) or -> Intel C2D (High Buget)

IndianCheese
January 25th, 2007, 00:06
Mac Pro. Macs rule.

Smurph
January 25th, 2007, 01:20
Mac Pro. Macs rule.

No, they really don't. Make any sort of argument you want, I can refute it.

Dont get a pentium D they are junk, either get a Pentium 4 (low bugget) -> Athlon 64 Single Core AM2 (Medium Buget) or -> Intel C2D (High Buget)

And considering he managed to mis-spell 'budget' in two different ways in one post, I wouldn't take advice from him.

Tomlo
January 25th, 2007, 02:14
No, they really don't. Make any sort of argument you want, I can refute it.

And considering he managed to mis-spell 'budget' in two different ways in one post, I wouldn't take advice from him.

ROFL sorry I just started quitting smoking and im all shakey but ahh ya the benchmarks dont lie pentiums D's are junk

Smurph
January 25th, 2007, 02:55
ROFL sorry I just started quitting smoking and im all shakey but ahh ya the benchmarks dont lie pentiums D's are junk
That explains it, I suppose.

S34MU5
January 25th, 2007, 06:47
just stick with AMD

Cap'n 1time
January 25th, 2007, 06:52
Cause each OS have pros and cons and to get an ok pc you need alot of them

I am referring to linux distrobutions, not OS's. It would be a waste of a partition to put more than one. Take one, put what you want on it, the end. I highly recommend ubuntu if your new to linux.

The only read advantage that can be attributed to one distro from another is the packaging system (apt-get is the overwhelming favorite) and the community (debian and ubuntu are overwhelmingly the favorite, though i am quite fond of slackware). Whatever packages you want can be used on any linux distribution by some means.

Tomlo
January 25th, 2007, 07:58
I agree ubuntu is an excellent choice for a beginner to linux for many reasons...

Morph
January 28th, 2007, 21:12
Yeah, that's not worth it, considering that you can get a MB +PD 805 on Ebay for just about the same price.

pt9087
January 28th, 2007, 21:58
That prcessor is not slow. lol haha im only on 2400+