PDA

View Full Version : Neat LocationFree find (though has little use)

IndianCheese
January 4th, 2007, 22:21
I recently got my LocationFree Base Station for Christmas, and I have to say that I am loving it. The best part is watching TV away from home. And in that, I found a special tidbit that may be of interest.

While setting it up, I had to port forward my base station to the internet so I could get TV away from home. Now, when accessing my base station away from home, my PSP displays that it is connecting to the URL where my base station apparantly resides at:

XXXXXXXXXXXX.LF-B1US.MyNetAV.com

(I have replaced the digits with X's to protect my privacy (and cable).)

In addition, we will say that my router's IP address is 123.123.123.123.

I could not understand that if my base station was being port forwarded to 123.123.123.123:5021 (5021 is the port LocationFree uses) why it would appear through the URL above. So I did some looking through stuff.

I went to Selfseo.com, where various internet tools are available, and I clicked on "Find IP address of a website". I typed in the URL and clicked "Get IP". And guess what showed up. 123.123.123.123. So it seems that the URL is actually a (get ready) subdomain with a subdomain with a .COM redirect to my port forwarded base station. In other words, it is a nickname (you could use either the IP address or the URL given to get to the base station).

What does that mean for you? Well, if MyNetAV.com is on a block list at your office/school, you can bypass it by going through these steps:

Go to www.whatismyip.com
After getting your IP, start the LocationFree Player on your PSP
Press O when the Connection screen appears
Choose Settings
Choose Advanced Settings
Replace the big, long URL in the box with your IP address

Also, logically, this should slightly decrease the delay between live and LocationFree since the video stream has one less place to travel to, but I have not tested this, nor do I plan to.

Enjoy, I guess.

Once again, the URL and IP address given were censored/fake so nobody steals my cable.

Video_freak
January 5th, 2007, 02:02
Thanks for the awesome find. This should work with a PS3 used as a base station too. See, PS3 isn't completely overpriced. :rolleyes:

F9zDark
January 5th, 2007, 03:58
IF the PS3 could be used as such. It doesn't have a coaxial input (for cable tv) so it can't do anything such thing as of yet. Unless Sony makes a USB device that acts as a TV input, I don't suspect it will be possible.

mnuhaily22
January 20th, 2007, 13:40
Isn't it disabled in 3.03 OE-B???

Fireball9298
December 12th, 2008, 22:19
How do you froward the base station to the interent so i can watch tv away from home.????..i have had this thing for a 3 years and just thought it was broken or something.
Please do tell?????
-Derek

bobcubbie
February 1st, 2009, 23:09
Alright Fireball9298?

Took me ages to get LF access over the internet... Had a BaseStation for three years!

Use LF at home, for PC's and PSP's. Never got internet access going until last week!

Use www.whatismyip.com to get my IP address. My BaseStation is connected hardwired to a router into my ISP's cable modem.

With the IP address, I entered that into my LF Player on PC and Port 5022. I did have to test this on a non-LAN access point... but it eventually worked.

And is excellent!