PDA

View Full Version : Stream Digital Media on Your Wii

wraggster
January 5th, 2007, 10:34
Nintendo's Wii recently entered into the wild world of the Internet with the addition of the Opera Web Browser to the Wii Channels Menu, and it seems like the world is taking notice. Orb Networks announced that it is offering Wii support for its MyCasting service which allows users to stream any form of digital media from their home PCs onto other electronic devices. Orb's free software lets users enjoy all digital media stored on their home PC on any other networked device, a category which now includes the Wii.

"What Nintendo did -- offering Internet connectivity on its game console was so simple and easy -- yet it tears a big hole into the walled content garden erected by gaming manufacturers," said Joe Costello of Orb Networks. "Consumers want the freedom to surf the Web while sitting on their sofas but that really just scratches the surface of what is available. People can get any digital content on their home PC, be it videos, music, TV, photos, whatever they want, and watch it on their TV screen without limitations or additional fees, which is what Orb promises and the Wii helps deliver. Nintendo opened the door for millions of gamers to see the power of what the Internet can offer in terms of media freedom, choices and access: other gaming manufacturers should follow suit, and the content providers and programmers should notice."

In order to make use of Orb, Wii owners must first download the free software to their home PCs, and set up a MyCast account. They must also have the Opera Browser downloaded to their Wiis, something that can be done through the Wii Shop Channel. Finally, users must go onto the Wii Internet Channel and head to mycast.orb.com (http://mycast.orb.com/) in order to login and access all of the digital media stored on their computer. This includes music, photos, video, TV, and other documents. This media can then be played on users' televisions through the Wii.

via IGN (http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/753/753105p1.html)

aAnaRchY
January 5th, 2007, 10:56
Ok, thats great because i use Orb already! Great solution to watch my TV channels at Work :)

I have one question to make that i was never been able to get an answer.
Let's say i have Orb and i have setup a Mycast account to stream media from my pc to my Wii using the Opera browser. Will that media (video-music-whatever) going to be streamed from my PC to the Wii from my home network, or will it be streamed from my PC to the internet and then to my Wii???