PDA

View Full Version : Downloading free hi-res videos from P-TV

wraggster
January 5th, 2007, 11:01
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/01/04/downloading-free-hi-res-videos-from-p-tv/)

The PSP has been capable of displaying full-resolution (480x272) AVC videos for a long time now ... the problem? Unless you lived in Japan, you weren't able to take advantage of it. The P-TV service in Japan allows PSP owners to purchase copyright-protected video for the PSP, and unlike user-created videos, these files are provided in glorious, full resolution.

nixice from IGN PSP has created an incredibly thorough walkthrough [IGN Insider only] of the store for non-Japanese users, and has even created a temporary account for you to browse through the store. With instructions in hand, you'll be able to browse through P-TV's selection of free videos and experience for yourself full-res video that only Motion-JPEG and UMD Videos previously provided.

Not everyone is an IGN Insider, and not everyone can read Japanese, so I decided to flesh out his experience for you.

Download via PC:
Note: This method has been tested with Internet Explorer 7. It does not appear Firefox is compatible.

1. Connect your PSP via USB.
2. Visit P-TV. To access the free content, make sure you click the second option in the header.

3. Scroll down to the bottom and navigate through the categories of content.

4. When you find something you like you click "More." You'll see the running time, the aspect ratio, and cost (you want it to cost 0 yen). Unfortunately, most of the programming is in 4:3. For the full visual experience, you'll want it to be 16:9.

5. After you click "More," you'll see a giant red "Download" button. In English. You know what to do.
6. Log-in with the following details:

7. First-time users will have to install an ActiveX control. Look at the top of the screen and choose "Install ActiveX Control...". If it asks you about sending data again, choose the Yes option. If things go awry, just head back to the P-TV home page and try again. As long as the program is installed, you'll have no problems.

8. You'll eventually reach a confirmation screen. Choose the right option to start the download.

9. Surprise! An English language dialog appears. Could this mean that Sony had ambitions for a US version of P-TV?

10. Voila! You're done. Once the download completes, you can enjoy your full-resolution video on your PSP. You should keep in mind two things: the videos will be in Japanese, and most of them will expire in 7 days.

Download via PSP:
The process is essentially identical to PC download. You can simply type in www.p-tv.jp/psp/ into your PSP browser and complete the transaction that way.

tyranos
January 5th, 2007, 11:52
i tried it yesterday as it was posted in the pspvideo9 forum ,and didnt work with firefox , so i just downloaded them with the psp browser , it took me a while to get the 140 mb 17 min MAQ00001.MGV ,like more then 17 min , bt then again it was the psp browser.
and the vids are not that cool ,
but the possibility of downloading hi res videos is kinda cool

pt9087
January 5th, 2007, 16:25
lol, i wouldnt of botherd

sedkiller
January 5th, 2007, 21:44
me im using internet explorer and when i click on download, I have to log in....

carlitx
January 5th, 2007, 22:12
sounds good for the japanese but fer a canadian naa not interested

devmas
January 6th, 2007, 11:02
I was bored, so I google translated everything and looked up other things, in order to tell you what the site actually has to offer for free.

--

The categories on the left are:
Movie (no charge)
- No downloadable movies here...

sport (no charge)
- This is misleading. There are mostly dancing lessons here. In fact, most of them say "Dance style" before the movie.

drama (no charge)
- Everything here are promotions or trailers. The exceptions are the second and third downloads, which respectively are "Shoes of Glass: First Story" and "Shoes of Glass: Second Story"

animation (no charge)
I know that there are some anime fans out there so I will list them.
- Amaenaideyo!!: Episode 1
- Ikkyu-san: Episode 1
- Space Pirate Captain Herlock: Episode 1
- Madam is a Magical Girl: Episode 1
- Useless Witch Doremi: Episode 1
- Gunparade March: Episode 1
- Galaxy Express 999: Episode 1
- Ginga Legend Weed: Episodes 1 through 26, the whole first season
- Cluster Edge: Episode 1
- Slam Dunk: Episode 1
- Digimon Adventure : Episode 1
- Noein: Episode 1
- noratoriamuanime 1: Nora We Would Like to Fly
- PetoPeto-san: Episode 1
- Fist of the North Star: Episode 1
- My Otome (My 乙HiME): Episode 1
- My HiME: Episode 1

[entame] (no charge)
- I think this is mostly video game stuff. "Game Club" videos, a "FIFA '06 World Cup German conference promotion movie", and "Netgame.TV" and a couple more things.

information (no charge)
- Autopress.TV, Weekly Star Publication, a couple of Made for PSP videos that I think teach you Korean, and some Legal Forest Peak thing...

talent (no charge)
- I think these are made for PSP videos in a series that focuses on a woman with a D-cup. I think it is called something like "Truly D-cup". They might be trailers or something.

--

Not much to offer that an English speaking person would enjoy, except maybe the dancing videos.... but enjoy :)

IndianCheese
January 6th, 2007, 20:55
Buy a LocationFree base station. It IS portable TV.

sedkiller
January 6th, 2007, 21:04
not every one can afford it.

SpooForBrains
January 6th, 2007, 21:17
I'm more interested in the fact that full-resolution video on the PSP is possible, without using homebrew. How is this achieved? Is it a special codec or something for which support has not been publicised?

Greg_Alexander
January 6th, 2007, 21:18
How is it possible via homebrew? :O

SpooForBrains
January 6th, 2007, 21:22
With PMPMod. You have to encode the video with a special CODEC.

scottyboynow
January 6th, 2007, 22:35
I tried it, the picture quality is alot better almost UMD video quality.

taiyoh
January 7th, 2007, 22:00
Where's the login information??

F9zDark
January 7th, 2007, 22:43
I wish someone would perfect the "Computer with TV-Tuner Card Streaming to PSP" program.

sedkiller
January 8th, 2007, 17:00
does anyonme figured out how to login or something like this...

SpooForBrains
January 8th, 2007, 18:23
I wish someone would perfect the "Computer with TV-Tuner Card Streaming to PSP" program.

Well, there's been a new release of PMPVLC which pupports to offer this functionality, but since I don't HAVE a tv-tuner, I can't comment:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29282

scottyboynow
January 8th, 2007, 18:37
just use PIMPstreamer