PDA

View Full Version : The great hype machine. Rant 1 of 1

shadowprophet
January 5th, 2007, 21:03
You know sometimes I just have to get the evil out of my system. So im gonna dump it all here.

Im disgruntled today. even years after its initial release I still see over hyped pieces of crap making the news.

Nothing pushes my buttons more then a fan of an over hyped cash cow,

Im going to offend a lot of people on one sitting this time so grab a soda and buckle in. your coming for a ride.

I want to begin with what I call (milking) This is the process in which one hit wonder games are taken, given a graphical face lift, a few extras thrown in,some shiny new textures, and there blind fan base is amazed at the (MASSIVE UNEXPECTED SURPRISES 0.0) The developers threw in on there fifteen minuet coffee break.

Now strangely enough. The games im about to slander. Have rather large fan bases. Which is the main reasons this topic irks me. Halo, and gran theft auto. Yeah I think ill pick those two apart today.

sure Im not blind. I see people rushing this thread from the time its posted to defend these two timeless pieces of crap. But this is a forum of opinion after all.

The thing that gets me isn't that these games exists. Its that people actually like them :confused:
I don't see the attraction here.

Gran theft auto. A game based entirely on how much violence and crime one can commit without getting caught. Sure im not jack Thompson here, I agree that those games and games like it should have the right to be made. MY beef is What Do people see in that game that's actually fun?!

Wow i got the flame thrower!!! and the uzi!!! WOW THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE IN ANY OTHER GAME EVER!!!! :|

*sigh....

Or halo. People regard halo as some sort of holy grail of first person shooting.
I've Even heard people exclaim that Its the first FPS that actually got things right.
Those people obviously Had never played a FPS up till that point...
Long before halo came along, Shadow was a true fan of the genre and played many a great Fps game that story wise in some other way, where the spiritual forefathers of halo.

It really offends me that this late bloomer, this shining example of ripped off unreal tournament and
quake ideas, is given the fan boy honor of (best shooter ever made)
I even hear people say But gee man if you would just give halo a try.

How can I get it through to these people, I wouldn't have these opinions about halo unless I had tried it. Not only have I tried it. I found it to be (entertaining) But not the best shooter ever made. Come on. Are people that blind? So its pretty,, Big damned hairy deal.

perfect dark zero was pretty, people didn't seem to mind slamming that game...

And I can see how people would think im just bitching, And yeah that's what im doing..
But what really pisses me off is people that have been fans of games that truly deserved a shot and passed them up flock to halo and gran theft auto out of name brand recognition.

Like (good) blind little sheep.

{{{!!!Ohh My names GranHalofanboy and I only play the most popular games ohhhhhh!!!... :|
!!! I don't have to think for myself, And I never take any chances with Titles that aren't posted in every magazine and on every billboard!!!~~ If i don't hear about a game from my friend and there friends friends and there cousins friends. Then it must not really exists.. And I know that when I buy a Game at least my Friends will like it!!!! Cause they told me what to buy!!!}}}}

Ugh.. In truth. I think Gran theft auto and halo are okay, there not bad games really.
But do they really deserve the praise there getting ? My god people Its not like jesus has returned just because halo 3 is coming out. I promise when it is released. It too will be like all others, An over hyped FPS that gets more credit then it deserves...

Accordion
January 5th, 2007, 21:56
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3906/rf00po8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

possibly not surprising, but i fully agree

and the above image of Red Faction on the PS2 is my main gripe with halo, which in my opinion is massively over hyped, completly unoriginal and too easy![im looking at you, mr self-replenishing health bar!]

whats more!
EDGE gave it a 10, which damged my respect for the magazine a large sum

baracki96
January 5th, 2007, 22:17
hmmm, the gta games all had different stories and side quests completely ( except the psp ports of course) so I can understand the draw to by the sequels. With Halo however, I completely agree it's a very good fps, not a great one. Why I think it has exceled so well is because of it being the first fps to use online play really well and intuitively.

Accordion
January 5th, 2007, 22:42
of course !!
every GTA story line is completely different from the last....

sure...

gamerremag
January 5th, 2007, 22:53
nobody follows the gta storyline, its just a stress relieve game. what is better than buying a strip club?

shadowprophet
January 5th, 2007, 22:58
nobody follows the gta storyline, its just a stress relieve game. what is better than buying a strip club?

:thumbup: :rofl:

the_eternal_dark
January 7th, 2007, 21:16
Or halo. People regard halo as some sort of holy grail of first person shooting.
I've Even heard people exclaim that Its the first FPS that actually got things right.
Those people obviously Had never played a FPS up till that point...
Long before halo came along, Shadow was a true fan of the genre and played many a great Fps game that story wise in some other way, where the spiritual forefathers of halo.

I agree, how can Halo be the first to get it right when games like Marathon, Shadow Warrior, Wolf 3d, Quake, and a number of others had it "all done right"?

*edit* - Wolf 3d may be pushing it...

Junixx
January 7th, 2007, 21:21
I agree, how can Halo be the first to get it right when games like Marathon, Shadow Warrior, Wolf 3d, Quake, and a number of others had it "all done right"?

*edit* - Wolf 3d may be pushing it...

You forgot about Half Life:thumbup: and halo is overrated I think also, and its not the first FPS to use online play...

Oh and another over-hyped game, is World of Warcraft, ok flame away lol. I HAVE played it, got to level 30 something, then got bored cause its the same thing over and over and over and over and over...(and on and on) I know most games are repetitive, I did have fun playing it, but then got bored and went back to counter strike/warrock/FPS games

Destroyer699
January 7th, 2007, 21:44
I believe Halo is a little overrated, but not too much...

The main reason that people liked it was not because it was the first FPS to get it right, it was the first FPS to "get it right" online. That alone attracted millions, but that is only one of the contributing factors. One of the main reasons (and the reason I still play it) is that it is the single most modified game ever made. People hacked the xbox and modified the game, which attracted MANY people to buy it. Some say that it also ruined some of the online multiplayer too.

Accordion
January 7th, 2007, 23:33
I believe Halo is a little overrated, but not too much...

The main reason that people liked it was not because it was the first FPS to get it right, it was the first FPS to "get it right" online. .

because quake 3 arena was absolutely awful...

NOT!!!

Joe1234
January 8th, 2007, 00:30
Wow, a person who hates milking with a Shadow avatar. Doesn't get more ironic than that.

shadowprophet
January 8th, 2007, 03:19
Wow, a person who hates milking with a Shadow avatar. Doesn't get more ironic than that.

Nice one :thumbup: :rofl: