PDA

View Full Version : PSP MAC Address Changer

Vega
January 6th, 2007, 13:44
gracz54 has released a little app to change the MAC address of your PSP.

If you download this, there's only one Eboot around. For the newbies, this means that if you're firmware requires two folders of the application, then you'll have to use PSP brew.

Another thing to be cautious about is that its only been tested on 3.02 OE-A. For some run-through on the installation, Just paste into psp/game150 (or psp/game). And then, run the app and press X to dump the MAC ID. Once you've grabbed a hex editor, you should be able to see your MAC in hexes at the beginning of the file.

You may actually change the MAC to whatever it is you'd want to be, but DO NOT TYPE IN NEW CHARACTERS or change anything else EXCEPT THE MAC. Why? Because it could brick if you do not heed this warning.

Shrygue
January 6th, 2007, 13:57
Hey, it sounds great! I always though it was hardware assigned and couldn't be changed. I'll give this a try...

Vega
January 6th, 2007, 14:04
I havent tried this myself and i know theres a brick risk if done incorrectly so please be careful :)

Shrygue
January 6th, 2007, 14:15
YES! It worked! I now have a different MAC address shown! Thank's for making this Vega!

Oh yes, I have custom firmware 3.03OE-A installed, if you want to know.

Vega
January 6th, 2007, 14:16
I didnt make this, gracz54 coded it. I just posted it up as news :D

Glad it worked though.

Shrygue
January 6th, 2007, 14:18
Oh sorry about that, I went stupid and rushed though the article but still it's all good anyway.

Equin0x
January 6th, 2007, 14:19
Does this just patch the IDstore? cause it wouldnt change the hardware Mac Address, it would just change the Mac Address you see in System Information

Correct me if I am wrong

This would be usefull for hiding your real mac address, if you intend to record you doing something on the PSP and need to show the screen with the mac address on it

Vega
January 6th, 2007, 14:23
Equin0X, Im really not sure... though I think it simply does just patch over the MAC address which is shown on screen. Again, Im not sure though.

Cloudhunter
January 6th, 2007, 15:13
Does this just patch the IDstore? cause it wouldnt change the hardware Mac Address, it would just change the Mac Address you see in System Information

Correct me if I am wrong

This would be usefull for hiding your real mac address, if you intend to record you doing something on the PSP and need to show the screen with the mac address on it

Yeah, there is an internal IP address that is in the WLAN adaptor. This would only really be of use if you changed your WLAN adapter, and needed to change your mac address to match it... It's a dangerous program with little use.

Cloudy

Equin0x
January 6th, 2007, 15:16
It's a dangerous program with little use.

I was thinking that too, cause it does edit "Flash0" and anything that writes to that can potentially brick a PSP

Cloudhunter
January 6th, 2007, 16:38
I was thinking that too, cause it does edit "Flash0" and anything that writes to that can potentially brick a PSP

Yeah, and editing the idstorage is even more dangerous, even UP users can't easily recover from an idstorage brick.

So my advice to anyone: Only use this if you have a use for it... i.e. new wlan adaptor.

Cloudy

jak66
January 6th, 2007, 17:04
to people that dont know, this patch is permanent and not just an overlay on the system info bit. if it was just an overlay X-flash would display your PSPs orriginal MAC, not the new one, wouldnt it

F9zDark
January 6th, 2007, 17:05
I'd think the PSP would be smart enough to get the WLAN adaptor's mac address on its own. It may just store it so doesn't need to look anymore, but I am willing to bet that anyone installing a new WLAN adaptor (if its even possible) could just do "Restore Default Settings" and have the new mac of the new adaptor show up.

-Added--

The MAC address is in the hardware, and physically resides in a place on the network hardware, as is the case with all network hardware. It is my understanding that MAC addresses are unique to every piece of hardware for networking and can never be changed. On first boot, I imagine the PSP gets this MAC address and writes it to flash, which now that file is changed to reflect the new MAC setting. Read above to see what I think would probably restore the original MAC setting (if it doesn't then oh well, but the MAC address on the adaptor cannot be changed at all.

Shrygue
January 6th, 2007, 17:06
to people that dont know, this patch is permanent and not just an overlay on the system info bit. if it was just an overlay X-flash would display your PSPs orriginal MAC, not the new one, wouldnt it

You could still get your official MAC address back if you backed it up previously and reflashed it.

jak66
January 6th, 2007, 17:14
yea i know (i did) but theres bound to be 1 person that wont

Cloudhunter
January 6th, 2007, 17:24
I'd think the PSP would be smart enough to get the WLAN adaptor's mac address on its own. It may just store it so doesn't need to look anymore, but I am willing to bet that anyone installing a new WLAN adaptor (if its even possible) could just do "Restore Default Settings" and have the new mac of the new adaptor show up.

I'm afriad restore default settings only clears the flash1 settings... It doesn't touch the idstorage.

Cloudy

darn02
January 6th, 2007, 17:29
i know tyhis mus realy sound a little blond but... beep breath... whats the mac thing for again

Shrygue
January 6th, 2007, 17:31
The MAC address is the hardware identifer for the wi-fi card in your PSP.

darn02
January 6th, 2007, 18:27
thanks, ive been here a while and never caught on lol, i might just go ye my hair blaond now and complete the process

cloud_952
January 6th, 2007, 19:39
o_O So.. when you actually went out to connect to, say, a router with your PSP, would this be working as a spoofed MAC? I could see maybe some uses for that (such as: you've been blocked from using a router, or a router is enabled for only certain MACs, and thus you could match it up to a trusted computer when connecting). But if not.. this is just incredibly dangerous and terribly useless..

Shrygue
January 6th, 2007, 20:10
I edited and flashed the MAC address idstorage key and if you were to look on a router to see what deivces are connected, it shows the official one. So really this application just simply spoofs the real one because I just tested it out twice and my router displayed the PSP official one each time in the connected devices page.

pt9087
January 6th, 2007, 20:13
As said before... This is a well worked on App but yet again not very useful.

Shrygue
January 6th, 2007, 20:21
I find it still good anyway. It's useful if you're recording something (like a upgrader/downgrader video) and you're showing what firmware version you have in it but not wish to show your real MAC address.

SpooForBrains
January 6th, 2007, 21:04
It is, in some instances, possible to change the MAC address of a network adaptor. You can do it with certain adaptors in Linux. Of course, that's not what THIS does, just letting you know that it's possible.

not here anymore
January 6th, 2007, 21:04
question: why on earth would you want to change your MAC addy?
Later,

TSR

SpooForBrains
January 6th, 2007, 21:14
... to gain unauthorised access to a wireless network, for one thing.

pt9087
January 6th, 2007, 21:32
Or if being blocked by a router, if you change then you could get in.

But also someone mentioned that he changed it and on his router it was the same MAC address

goaliedude
January 6th, 2007, 21:49
wow this is great couldn't this be used to run ps1 games with the official emu with repeat lisences because the liscense is linked to ypur mac adress right?

Cloudhunter
January 6th, 2007, 22:31
wow this is great couldn't this be used to run ps1 games with the official emu with repeat lisences because the liscense is linked to ypur mac adress right?

No. Besides, if you were officially 3.03, how could you run this?

scottyboynow
January 6th, 2007, 22:38
It is good say if you accidently shown your mac address on youtube so you can change it.

Shrygue
January 6th, 2007, 22:55
Here's the result of using the MAC address changer application: It's a bit blurry because my web camera is a bit dodgy but the MAC address displays 00:00:00:00:00:00.

Vega
January 6th, 2007, 23:33
YKB, your mac address shown on screen when using a wlan adopter stll remains the same as it was originally though? im guessing its not 00:00:00 etc ?

Shrygue
January 6th, 2007, 23:35
That is correct. My wireless router still sees the true MAC address of my PSP instead of what's shown on the screen in System Settings. It's because the official MAC is hardcoded in the wi-fi card itself.

Vega
January 6th, 2007, 23:42
I see. Thanks for confirming.

Shrygue
January 6th, 2007, 23:43
Hey, no problem at all. :)

Squidman
January 7th, 2007, 01:47
.....if the MAC is found in the file you edit, would the firmware number ALSO be found in there? or is that another file?

carlitx
January 7th, 2007, 02:36
what is so big bout this is any benifit from using this?

bullhead
January 7th, 2007, 14:03
^^ Its just a little proggy for those fancy people who like to be fancy. Y'know?^^

bull, x.

carlitx
January 7th, 2007, 14:42
o so its just a program for to just cahnge a mac adress that means nothing anyways......or does the mac adress mean something? is it doea what is it purpose?

bullhead
January 7th, 2007, 15:47
"A MAC address, short for Media Access Control address, is a unique code assigned to most forms of networking hardware. The address is permanently assigned to the hardware, so limiting a wireless network's access to hardware -- such as wireless cards -- is a security feature employed by closed wireless networks. But an experienced hacker -- armed with the proper tools -- can still figure out an authorized MAC address, masquerade as a legitimate address and access a closed network."

bull, x.

scottyboynow
January 7th, 2007, 15:50
Which part of the PSP does this write to.

bullhead
January 7th, 2007, 15:52
Flash 0

xxAndrewXX
July 11th, 2008, 16:05
how does it work i cant get it to work

Art
July 12th, 2008, 08:09
Well it is a year old.
It only changed the MAC address shown on the screen, not the
MAC actually sent to routers.
It's probably not working with firmwares later than it was written for.