PDA

View Full Version : XtreamLua Compiler 0.2 - Protect your lua code

Zion
January 7th, 2007, 14:45
I know you guys will love this, this is a Compiler for Windows to stop people from stealing your Lua code. Named XtreamLua (no, that isn't a typo) Compiler v0.2, this handy application encrypts Lua code (which could otherwise be easily accessed using a simple word processor) so that nobody can steal your source and try to pass it off or using it in their own application/game. According to Emeric0101, this application is much faster than encoding the Lua file yourself and is pretty easy to use and from what we can tell by the GUI.

The application has been originally coded in French but it also has English language files included. When you run the installer, just click the button which says "Suivant" and then select "English". After that, the rest of the installation process will continue in English along with the application when it runs. There are a few grammar errors such as the button which says "Do a file", but I think you can easily determine that this means go to a directory. If you are fed up with people stealing your code or you have a very big project coming up soon, this could be for you.

I know some of you coders are tired of getting you code stolen so start encrypting you code guys!

via XtreamLua (http://xtreamlua.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=641)

Note from zion - this is awesome, no more will you have to worry about people stealing your code and passing it off as there own. Fantastic :thumbup:

This also seems to make your game/app have more fps :eek:

NOTE - From Zion,

If you plan on using this, make sure to BACKUP your code in a safe place first as once you have encrypted it you cant uncyrpt it again, & therefor would render your code un-updateable. only use for releases and make sure to BACKUP your code before using it, then you can revert to the backup code to continue updating your game

Download and Give feedback Via Comments

S34MU5
January 7th, 2007, 14:59
Stamped with QJ :eek:

but cool,

Zion
January 7th, 2007, 15:05
Stamped with QJ :eek:

but cool,

Thats were the news was from......

i think people would rather know about it than me not post it becuase it was news from qj, + common accord is to link back to the news source

S34MU5
January 7th, 2007, 15:17
Yeh i know,

i was thinkning. dcemu have quite a few exclusive games.

but QJ seem to get all the good apps etc. :(

Broonale
January 7th, 2007, 15:26
How much commercial value is in Lua code?

This is the perfect way to keep other people from learning coding strategies!

Who needs new games anyway! ;)

scottyboynow
January 7th, 2007, 15:35
Will definatly be downloading!

Zion
January 7th, 2007, 15:42
code runs faster using this too dont forget :p

only tried it on pc tho, let me know if it runs code faster on the psp too guys :D

S34MU5
January 7th, 2007, 15:46
well far cry was coded in LUA.....
so was that sonic game for the 360...

Zion
January 7th, 2007, 15:55
well far cry was coded in LUA.....
so was that sonic game for the 360...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

less of the lua mick taking please :mad:

Gizmo356
January 7th, 2007, 16:00
If I still coded I would use this:D

gunntims0103
January 7th, 2007, 16:02
Great work i just got up to find this :D

Il definitly be using it :)

Gizmo356
January 7th, 2007, 16:05
Well hopefully this will encourage some coders to get back in action:D

S34MU5
January 7th, 2007, 16:12
I wasnt taking the mick.

he asked what was coded in lua and i asnwered.
i know sonic isnt that good. but tis pretty good graphics an its on 360. same as farcry.

good thing about lua is you can make your own stuff (dunno how to say it just know you can)

Psyberjock
January 7th, 2007, 16:13
This seems anti-homebrew to me. Typically homebrew is open source, because it is a self propagating system. Newbies can learn from the veterans and the whole scene progresses as a result. If you have problems with people taking credit for your work, that's something that the scene needs to work out. Not prevent through knowledge stifling DRMesc script encoding.

I'm against this and I would encourage LUA coders to avoid it. Where would the LUA coders be if someone didn't care enough about them to create an easy, learner friendly language like LUA. Even the LUA interpreter is open source. This will hurt the scene far more than it could ever help it.

scottyboynow
January 7th, 2007, 16:14
I just started coding in LUA so I'll use this to keep tomtomtom's dirty hands off.

Gizmo356
January 7th, 2007, 16:16
This seems anti-homebrew to me. Typically homebrew is open source, because it is a self propagating system. Newbies can learn from the veterans and the whole scene progresses as a result. If you have problems with people taking credit for your work, that's something that the scene needs to work out. Not prevent through knowledge stifling DRMesc script encoding.

I'm against this and I would encourage LUA coders to avoid it. Where would the LUA coders be if someone didn't care enough about them to create an easy, learner friendly language like LUA. Even the LUA interpreter is open source. This will hurt the scene far more than it could ever help it.

I understand what your saying but what i think is that this is made because too many people are taking code and not giving credit to the author if they did it would be all rite but not all people give credit and claim the code as there own:(

scottyboynow
January 7th, 2007, 16:17

This is the second version so I think youre a little late. Good point and a good rant there though

Zion
January 7th, 2007, 16:22
a agree with gizmo, you spend days and days making a game the best and advanced as you can and then two days later you see someone rip your code and claim it as there "own".

I am currently coding a game, and its currently the most advanced homebrew game out there in the psp scene (that i have seen) and dont fancy the idea of someone stealing all my code and then claiming they coded it.

i think this is great as it gives lua coders the same choice C/C++ coders have had for years.

They can now make there coding open source or closed source, which is fantastic

Psyberjock
January 7th, 2007, 16:34
I haven't noticed a lot of people stealing lua code and claiming it as their own. I think that typically happens with C/C++ coded applications because unless the thief releases the source, they can steal the code and get away with it. When it's open to public view it's much easier to see and verify who is stealing what.

Unless this xtreamlua compiler comes with the source, for all you know there is a back door that allows the maker to view all of your lua code that you have encrypted. Then while you're feeling safe and secure he's ripping your code and recompiling it and claiming it as his own.*

The best copyright for homebrew is public release and visibility. If I saw two games that look so similar that I wonder if someone copied the other, I would probably think the one that was released first was the original.

*I'm not saying that this is actually happening, but it could be and you wouldn't even know.

I just checked. The compiler isn't open source. Users beware.

Zion
January 7th, 2007, 16:43
i meant using the same code not same game. that would be obvious lol.

its hard for ordinary users to notice code copying + they dont really care either, then when you go to point it out the coder (who made it) gets flamed and no one cares.

i wouldnt worry about a back door, and if someone was that good at coding to find a back door and go to all the hassle of decoding your code, then i doubt he would have any use for looking at a sheet of lua code anyway

gunntims0103
January 7th, 2007, 16:45
well when i use this il simple release the compiled version, and if anyone wants the uncompiled version (the source code if you will) then il simply email it to them. This way i know who has my uncompiled version.

splodger15
January 7th, 2007, 16:50
This will come in very handy.As i will get angry if someone is using my code

Gizmo356
January 7th, 2007, 16:51
i meant using the same code not same game. that would be obvious lol.

its hard for ordinary users to notice code copying + they dont really care either, then when you go to point it out the coder (who made it) gets flamed and no one cares.

i wouldnt worry about a back door, and if someone was that good at coding to find a back door and go to all the hassle of decoding your code, then i doubt he would have any use for looking at a sheet of lua code anyway

Yeah if someone was smart enough to decrypt your LUA code I dont see why they would need you code cause they already know a more complex language:P

Psyberjock
January 7th, 2007, 16:54
I guess what really needs to be said is that you're not going to be making money on you lua applications. We do this because it's fun, not to strike it rich or act like we're so much better than others.

So what if someone uses a part of your code? If they're not copying the whole thing, taking a piece here and there is not such a big deal. If I made a program and someone took a function from it I wouldn't care if they didn't put me in their credits. It's a function.

If you think about it, where would we be if we hadn't decompiled the firmwares that sony has coded? We can only code on the PSP because someone went through and looked at sony's decompiled code and borrowed some things. Maybe only a function name or some 1's and 0's if you get down to it, but they didn't magically understand the PSPs inner workings through a spiritual journey. It had to come from somewhere.

You guys shouldn't be quite so protective of these things. You should be happy that you have created something that you and others can enjoy, then be happy that it helped someone else do the same.

I think that should cover both arguments of people stealing the whole thing and people stealing bits and pieces.

Zion
January 7th, 2007, 17:01
I guess what really needs to be said is that you're not going to be making money on you lua applications. We do this because it's fun, not to strike it rich or act like we're so much better than others.

So what if someone uses a part of your code? If they're not copying the whole thing, taking a piece here and there is not such a big deal. If I made a program and someone took a function from it I wouldn't care if they didn't put me in their credits. It's a function.

If you think about it, where would we be if we hadn't decompiled the firmwares that sony has coded? We can only code on the PSP because someone went through and looked at sony's decompiled code and borrowed some things. Maybe only a function name or some 1's and 0's if you get down to it, but they didn't magically understand the PSPs inner workings through a spiritual journey. It had to come from somewhere.

You guys shouldn't be quite so protective of these things. You should be happy that you have created something that you and others can enjoy, then be happy that it helped someone else do the same.

I think that should cover both arguments of people stealing the whole thing and people stealing bits and pieces.

omg, you just dont get this do you, true we do it becuase its fun, but it is NOT FUN when you see some moron rip your game and just add different gfx and everyone go wow great game, and that moron gets more well known and better status for something YOU did.

WE make these games for others to enjoy, and if someone wants to make there own game then fine, but they should make it there OWN game not use someone elses game as a template and then not give any credit whatsover.

This release is awesome and whatever you say isnt going to change that.

in fact i tell you what, go and code a game, spend months on it, then i will steal all of your code, change the gfx and get fame over a game YOU coded......

see how "fun" you think it is then :mad:

Gizmo356
January 7th, 2007, 17:03

Thats not the point what I'm am saying is some people don't mind getting there code stolen but people like(me when I use to code and Zion) don't mind either as long as they ask first then if the author says yeah you may use it but still you need to give credit to the author, well at least this is what I believe:D.

Also when you spend so much time into a game and put your sweat and tears into it its not all that fun when someone uses your code that took you so long to perfect and claims it as there own:(

dragaron
January 7th, 2007, 17:09

I couldn't disagree with you more. I would much rather have the FREE CHOICE to either release my LUA code open or close-sourced. Your intensity in your opposition is strange at the very least.

Psyberjock
January 7th, 2007, 17:09
omg, you just dont get this do you, true we do it becuase its fun, but it is NOT FUN when you see some moron rip your game and just add different gfx and everyone go wow great game, and that moron gets more well known and better status for something YOU did.

It would seem that you just don't get it. You're willing to slow down progress because you're too childish to overcome your own insecurities. You'd actually get that upset if someone copied your game??

You haven't thought that the person who copies your game probably didn't do it because they're an ass, they probably did it because they don't know what else to do. It's a learning experience for them to copy and paste code. And quite frankly, if their graphics are so kick ass that everyone thinks their game is better than the original, then they probably put more work into the game than you did.

You're not thinking of this in a very open minded manner. You're only thinking of your own fame and accolades. I think that's pretty obvious from your posts.

I couldn't disagree with you more. I would much rather have the FREE CHOICE to either release my LUA code open or close-sourced. Your intensity in your opposition is strange at the very least.

You're right that my opposition is intense. I feel very strongly about open source and human advancement. (even in coding games) What can I say? I'm a teacher and I teach high school students. I don't go around stamping them on the forehead so people know that they're using information that came from me. Nor do I have to repeat Einstein's name every time I say E=MC2.

And you do have a choice. You could be coding in C.

Gizmo356
January 7th, 2007, 17:13
It would seem that you just don't get it. You're willing to slow down progress because you're too childish to overcome your own insecurities. You'd actually get that upset if someone copied your game??

You haven't thought that the person who copies your game probably didn't do it because they're an ass, they probably did it because they don't know what else to do. It's a learning experience for them to copy and paste code. And quite frankly, if their graphics are so kick ass that everyone thinks their game is better than the original, then they probably put more work into the game than you did.

You're not thinking of this in a very open minded manner. You're only thinking of your own fame and accolades. I think that's pretty obvious from your posts.

Well If me Zion and Gunntims can learn all we know from tutorials what stops them from doing the same if they just take the time to learn it and not just copy?

mcvader
January 7th, 2007, 17:17
Does this program compile EBOOT's out of LUA code, or just encrypt it in some way?

Zion
January 7th, 2007, 17:19
I'm a teacher and I teach high school students. I don't go around stamping them on the forehead so people know that they're using information that came from me. Nor do I have to repeat Einstein's name every time I say E=MC2.

And you do have a choice. You could be coding in C.

Teacher? try teaching them not to be a arrogant moron then. + i think coders know a little bit more on the subject than you and i have a choice yeah, I CAN ENCRYPT MY LUA FILES.

edit - decided to reverse warning

Gizmo356
January 7th, 2007, 17:20
It just encrypts them so that you cant open them with word processors.

MasterChafed
January 7th, 2007, 17:29

the reason his opposition is so intense is because he is proly one of the people that steals code from the games we make. I am very touchy on this subject. People have entirely ripped games from my fellow coders/board members. Zion and Gunntims both (as far as i know) have had people take their entire game then replace the graphics, and call it their owm, and in the script, it still has the authors comments and sometimes even their own names in it. i.e. properties of so and so.

Gizmo356
January 7th, 2007, 17:32
the reason his opposition is so intense is because he is proly one of the people that steals code from the games we make. I am very touchy on this subject. People have entirely ripped games from my fellow coders/board members. Zion and Gunntims both (as far as i know) have had people take their entire game then replace the graphics, and call it their owm, and in the script, it still has the authors comments and sometimes even their own names in it. i.e. properties of so and so.

LOL those people have to be dumb to copy code and leave the authors Names in it and still not give credit lol:P:D

Psyberjock
January 7th, 2007, 17:32
Well If me Zion and Gunntims can learn all we know from tutorials what stops them from doing the same if they just take the time to learn it and not just copy?

Well I definitely agree with you there. I do think that it is best to learn all that you can from tutorials. That's what they're for. But as you've seen, I'm sure, tutorials and real programming aren't always the same. I'm not defending code stealing. I think that people should give credit where credit is due, but I also think that you shouldn't worry so much when someone doesn't give credit.

The original point that I was trying to make is that this type of program doesn't stop code stealing and it doesn't make people give credit. It slows down the scene.

No, I don't steal code, just to set the matter straight. Though I have made a few programs for the PC in C++ in the past, I'm more of a hardware modder. I guess I'm just an ultra liberal and that flows into everything that I'm interested in.

ninja9393
January 7th, 2007, 17:33
people ask me all the time, can i look at your code so i can learn from it, and of course i say yes

I dont think i will compile my games cause not everyone copies your code directly some people just want to learn from it

Psyberjock
January 7th, 2007, 17:34
Teacher? try teaching them not to be a arrogant moron then. + i think coders know a little bit more on the subject than you and i have a choice yeah, I CAN ENCRYPT MY LUA FILES.

btw, i warned you for that post for insulting me and another member too + trolling, watch your big mouth in future

who's insulting who now?

Zion
January 7th, 2007, 17:37
The original point that I was trying to make is that this type of program doesn't stop code stealing and it doesn't make people give credit. It slows down the scene.

It does stop code stealing, are you that stupid that you cant see that?

it says Lua Compliler..... and it encypts the code so it cannot be read so... how doesnt it stop code stealing??????

and how does it slow down the scene?
all it does is make people do there own work and take more time doing it becuase there is no easy way out anymore

MasterChafed
January 7th, 2007, 17:45
yeah, i went through the tutorials and learned on my own. I had help yes, but i didnt resort to stealing code to get that help. Stealing code is being lazy, its not making a game/app if you dont know what your coding.

Gizmo356
January 7th, 2007, 17:47
yeah, i went through the tutorials and learned on my own. I had help yes, but i didnt resort to stealing code to get that help. Stealing code is being lazy, its not making a game/app if you dont know what your coding.

Yes if you don't know what you are doing then just keep reading tutorials:thumbup:

gunntims0103
January 7th, 2007, 17:53
As i see it, this debate is pointless. In the homebrew scene, yes there are going to be users who copy and steal code without giving credit. Of course this is wrong. There are those nice users who ask the coder if it is alright to update or use and learn parts of the code and im all for that. Unfortunatly many coder's including myself would rather not have there code stolen or relitively used in any way, so this is why we (coders) feel its nessesary to compile our code.

When ever i need help I always ask a coder if i can look at code and such to learn, But i ASK first! As in JC's druglord game. I told him that i would update his game and put out a unofficial release. Nothing wrong with that BUT i ASKed first!

splodger15
January 7th, 2007, 18:08
^ ^
Yeh i agree with that.If you can ask weather you want to look/use the code. But i f you do use it give credit to the original creator of the code.Dont claim the code yourself

bah
January 7th, 2007, 18:45
S34MU5: Those games use lua for scripting of what happens in the game, not for the actual game engine.

S34MU5
January 7th, 2007, 19:05
Oh i see, well i heard they were "coded" in lua thats all.

and mr teacher PsyberJockey,
its 1337

yaustar
January 7th, 2007, 19:28
Talk about beating a dead horse.

http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-compiling-lua-scripts-with-luac-82656.html
http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-releasedxtreamlua-compiler-02-protect-your-lua-code-88774.html

End of the day it is just 'pro-choice'. Don't like it, don't use it but don't enforce the same decision on others.

I tend to release my Lua code stuff under the GPL just to make things simple.

Zion
January 7th, 2007, 19:42
Thank you Yaustar

Gizmo356
January 7th, 2007, 20:00
Vuala a plain and simple answer:D lol:)

Milleniumas
January 7th, 2007, 20:22
Nice program, I wonder is it hard to decrypt compiled lua code? It would be fun to make decryption program, oh well lets begin :) .

yaustar
January 7th, 2007, 21:08
Apparantly not that hard according to the author of luadec . So far, Lua 5.0.2 can be decompiled but not 5.1 which is what LuaPlayer uses.

http://luadec.luaforge.net/

ish420ism
January 7th, 2007, 22:16
Coded Warz up in here...:mad: Good Title for a game..Yes??. Anyways I know nothing of coding, but love the homebrew scene ever since the first DC Homebrew PAGE.:thumbup: I need to learn this coding games thing. Been reading Learning for Dummy Books. What would anyone suggest be the best start for a total noob for coding anything??

And Back to original Thread, this programm is great, if you don't want anyone stealing your code for anything other than learning purposes.:eek:
Great Work Mr.Z:thumbup:

mexicansnake
January 7th, 2007, 22:22
Thi is cool but I think that Ill not use it, maybe just for savestates in my game nothing else...

yaustar
January 7th, 2007, 22:28
Coded Warz up in here...:mad: Good Title for a game..Yes??. Anyways I know nothing of coding, but love the homebrew scene ever since the first DC Homebrew PAGE.:thumbup: I need to learn this coding games thing. Been reading Learning for Dummy Books. What would anyone suggest be the best start for a total noob for coding anything??

And Back to original Thread, this programm is great, if you don't want anyone stealing your code for anything other than learning purposes.:eek:
Great Work Mr.Z:thumbup:
Python. Good language to learn.
Lots of free eBooks as well.

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

mexicansnake
January 7th, 2007, 22:30
That version of the decripter is old...

yaustar
January 14th, 2007, 03:43
Word of warning. LuaC (which is what this is based on) does a lousy job of protecting coding which it wasn't designed for. Me and yoursam have managed to easily (bar) manually to recreate the source from compiled source chunks.