PDA

View Full Version : 8gb Pro Duos Available next month

Vega
January 8th, 2007, 12:59
Some good news if you have a few quid to throw about and you're a big homebrew enthusiast, Music Lover, or someone who hates the thought of changing their PS1 games around in their memory stick every other day. Sony are releasing 8gb models of their Pro Duo Memory Stick next month.

Aside from coming in with an adapter for devices with a standard-size memory stick media slot, it is also armed with MagicGate copy protection technology.

Info :

* 8GB MSX-M8GS Memory Stick model
* Weighing in at just two grams
* 0.79-inches wide and 1.22-inches long
* Sporting the ten-pin Serial Memory Stick interface
* 1,500 images in 10-megapixel, fine mode
* More than 18 hours of video at 768Kb per seconds in MPEG4 compression
* Can hold a collection about 2,000 songs in the MP3 format at 128 kbps with an average of four minutes per song

8GB Memory Stick PRO Duo will become available beginning February for US$ 300 (yes, you just read that correctly, $300) . It can be purchased from Sony Style (both online and retail stores) as well as authorized dealers in all states. UK release isn't confirmed but I doubt it would be longer than 2 weeks after US release.

It would be awesome to own a 8gb memory stick, especially with the release of Popstation, its just a shame about the price tag. :(

Edit : More information will become clear after tonights Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas.

quzar
January 8th, 2007, 14:18
Give a proper source and this will be news'd.

Vega
January 8th, 2007, 15:30
Tremendously sorry, news will come in tonight at the CES , Sony has a booth to show off their new memory cards

http://www.memorystick.com/en/events/ces2007/index.html

Ugh, sorry about that

News will be added to that link as the show progresses. I'll try to keep updated on this.

Mr. Shizzy
January 8th, 2007, 16:06
Nice. I will eventually own one. But I may hold out until $ONY backs off the $300 USD price point. That's just too much. (Especially after just splurging on a PS3)

Whats scarey, is - how much the 32GB Memory Sticks that SONY/Sandisc are (supposedly) making will probably cost. If the cost of past MS can be used as an indicator; they may cost as much as a PS3 !!

scottyboynow
January 8th, 2007, 16:15
And I just bought a 2GB!!!

S34MU5
January 8th, 2007, 16:16
why not a for scotty?

im gona get one of these, might hold out for the 32gb model :p that will be all i ever need,

PSPCulture
January 8th, 2007, 16:19
Price of the 2GB and 4GB should come down once the 8GB comes to market. 8GB still to pricey for most people, but I guess those into their photography might splash out on an expensive but necessary 8GB of storage.

deathspal
January 8th, 2007, 16:22
I hope $ony updates the PSP to support 8gb last I checked it was capped at 4gb

F9zDark
January 8th, 2007, 16:25
I hope $ony updates the PSP to support 8gb last I checked it was capped at 4gb

In 2.71 it was capped at 4gb. In 2.8x it wasn't. Anyone running 3.02 OE or 3.03 OE are in the free and clear. Those emulating 2.8x-3.0x in Devhook may be in the clear, but I don't know. In fact, I can't see how they would be, since if the PSP doesn't recognize the 8gb stick, which would need to be inserted for Devhook to work with it... yeah...

Looks like another reason to update to custom firmware.

deathspal
January 8th, 2007, 16:34
Cool Then I already have the goodness that is 3.03 OE

gr42178
January 8th, 2007, 16:43
In 2.71 it was capped at 4gb. In 2.8x it wasn't. Anyone running 3.02 OE or 3.03 OE are in the free and clear. Those emulating 2.8x-3.0x in Devhook may be in the clear, but I don't know. In fact, I can't see how they would be, since if the PSP doesn't recognize the 8gb stick, which would need to be inserted for Devhook to work with it... yeah...

Looks like another reason to update to custom firmware.

You could probablyget it to work, just boot devhook on your 2 GB stick or whatever you have. Then remove the 2 GB stick and put in the 8 GB stick. Im pretty sure it would work.

scottyboynow
January 8th, 2007, 16:47
^-^ Why would you do that

Anima229
January 8th, 2007, 16:47
Figures,I had just bought the 4GB last week.... >: /

Baboon
January 8th, 2007, 16:49
Excellent news (although a tad expensive).

I'm sure these will come down in price after a short time... and hopefuly sandisk will get in on the action as I prefer there cards (and there normaly cheaper). :)

F9zDark
January 8th, 2007, 16:50
You could probablyget it to work, just boot devhook on your 2 GB stick or whatever you have. Then remove the 2 GB stick and put in the 8 GB stick. Im pretty sure it would work.

Yeah until you go to do anything. It will look for the files on the memory stick and they wont be there. Now if you had an exact copy of the DH folder from the 2gb stick on the 8gb it might work. But even taking out the stick requires a read of the flash (to unmount the stick, remount the next one, etc).

I just don't see how it can work.

dejkirkby
January 8th, 2007, 16:50

I'm sure these will come down in price after a short time... and hopefuly sandisk will get in on the action as I prefer there cards (and there normaly cheaper). :)

Didn't Sony turn to SanDisk for help to create the 32GB?

gr42178
January 8th, 2007, 16:54
Yeah until you go to do anything. It will look for the files on the memory stick and they wont be there. Now if you had an exact copy of the DH folder from the 2gb stick on the 8gb it might work. But even taking out the stick requires a read of the flash (to unmount the stick, remount the next one, etc).

I just don't see how it can work.

Good point, I didnt realize that. I guess if people want to use the 8GB stick they will just have to update to 3.03OE, not like thats a bad thing, its great anyway.

eLAy12
January 8th, 2007, 16:55
Where is everyone getting this news about the 32 gb stick? i've been looking for info about it and can't find it anywhere, well i've found some rumors about it like on this and similar sites but no concrete facts.

gr42178
January 8th, 2007, 16:58

Why are the Sandisk memory sticks better? Are they faster or something? Or do they just cost less?

scottyboynow
January 8th, 2007, 16:58
32GB News:
http://www.qj.net/index.php?pg=49&aid=75911

scottyboynow
January 8th, 2007, 16:59
Why are the Sandisk memory sticks better? Are they faster or something? Or do they just cost less?

Due to tests there are faster. I use Sandisk because there reliable

Sterist
January 8th, 2007, 17:02
i can get a brand new, downgradeable, value pack psp and a 2gig for less than $300...

gr42178
January 8th, 2007, 17:03
Due to tests there are faster. I use Sandisk because there reliable

Thanks for the info.

As for the 32 GB sticks, those things will probably cost over $1,000 if and when they come out. I dont rely on posts I see on QJ, they are unreliable IMHO.

scottyboynow
January 8th, 2007, 17:08
Yeah i know what you mean but I don't think it was QJ that posted it first.

PSP 101
January 8th, 2007, 17:18
300$ for an 8 gig is way too much for a memroy card. I
rather take that $300 and buy a Wii with it.

gr42178
January 8th, 2007, 17:26
300$ for an 8 gig is way too much for a memroy card. I
rather take that $300 and buy a Wii with it.

Definitely, cept a wii only costs 250 so youd have money left for a game :thumbup:

pichon
January 8th, 2007, 17:31
300$ is just too much, I may think about it when it's about $150, but sooner or later I'll get one no doubt.

Mr. Shizzy
January 8th, 2007, 17:34
Yes, $300 is too much. But this is great news. All memory cards under 8GB should see a price reduction because of this.

And a message to the n00bs: Be careful if you buy memory sticks off E-bay. (Especially from the Hong Kong area) Alot of them are fake. And you will have all kinds of problems with them. You've been warned... ;)

aCoL
January 8th, 2007, 17:49
if it wasnt 300 i would get one just buy 4, 2 gb or 2, 4 gb :)

crypysmoker
January 8th, 2007, 17:50
Ill tell you one thing... Sony seems to think that everyone is made of money nowadays...
$600 for a OS3 and now $300 for a little dinky piece of plastic.
I understand the worl that gies inot making them, but the matrials to make a 8Gb stick maybe costs about $20 at most, and then the rest is profit.

Sony... Not everyone lives off thier rich parents or a trust fund... so how about understanding that some of us had to save for a PSP as it was, now a mem stick that costs twice a smuch as that..
Thanks sony, really appreciate u looking out for your customers.

Greedy *******s

Mister Klownes
January 8th, 2007, 18:20
$300 is about what I was expecting, as I'd seens ites predicting as much. It could always be as bad as some sites offering a "sale" for $999. And as for those of you accusing Sony of greed...you do realize it costs more than $600 to make a PS3, and that solid state memory is unbelievably expensive.

gr42178
January 8th, 2007, 18:38
$300 is about what I was expecting, as I'd seens ites predicting as much. It could always be as bad as some sites offering a "sale" for $999. And as for those of you accusing Sony of greed...you do realize it costs more than $600 to make a PS3, and that solid state memory is unbelievably expensive.

How could they sell something for less than what it costs to make them? That makes no sense.

carlitx
January 8th, 2007, 18:42
ya this osunds awsom. but for me to get this i gotta hope like hell to get on staff this summer. if i do 8gb here i come:)

Vega
January 8th, 2007, 18:47
How could they sell something for less than what it costs to make them? That makes no sense.

They profit from software sales.

F9zDark
January 8th, 2007, 18:52
Ill tell you one thing... Sony seems to think that everyone is made of money nowadays...
$600 for a OS3 and now $300 for a little dinky piece of plastic.
I understand the worl that gies inot making them, but the matrials to make a 8Gb stick maybe costs about $20 at most, and then the rest is profit.

Sony... Not everyone lives off thier rich parents or a trust fund... so how about understanding that some of us had to save for a PSP as it was, now a mem stick that costs twice a smuch as that..
Thanks sony, really appreciate u looking out for your customers.

Greedy *******s

Well look at a Sony 4gb stick, thats around what 150 USD? Obviously double that is 300 USD. It makes sense; flash memory has ALWAYS been more expensive. I can buy a 300 GB 7200RPM Hard Drive for 80 USD.

Thats how the world goes round man; electronics and computers have always started out expensive and then reduce in price over time. Sandisk will release one soon and after 6 months they will probably be very affordable, maybe 180 USD.

gr42178
January 8th, 2007, 18:53
They profit from software sales.

So thats why the games are so expensive right? Makes a little bit of sense now :p

jerrt
January 8th, 2007, 19:00
I don't think that 300 is too much, do you remember how much the 1 and 2 gigs were when they first launched? I remembered them being almost $500. I think $300 is high, and i'm not going to get one will the price comes down, but for those that have been holding off, and are willing to get one card to hold it all [sorry for the pun] this might not be too bad an option.

Mister Klownes
January 8th, 2007, 19:09
Well it's software, and an attempt to just get them sold. If you hadn't noticed, people seem displeased with Sony as of late. I could find a handful of people in DCEmu PSP forums with anti-Sony icons and signatures alone. I imagine they want to just get them out, hoping enough people see them in action to get motivated to save the money and buy one themselves.

Basil Zero
January 8th, 2007, 19:15
awesome, now that i have a 3.03 OE-A, this memory stick will work..but dang, 300 bucks, i think i'll wait it out, 300 bucks, heh, i could buy a wii with that money

jimmi
January 8th, 2007, 19:25
how much is 300 bucks in euros dude ? cos wii is bout 120 euro i think....

ACID
January 8th, 2007, 19:30
cool cant wait. Specialy with all the psx games i have riped

gr42178
January 8th, 2007, 19:31
The wii is 250 American dollars, so by my calculation it would be approximately 144 euro.

BelmontSlayer
January 8th, 2007, 20:01

$300 (USD) = 230£ (Pounds)

And I just bought my Sandisk 4GB for $65...No way in hell I'm gonna pay $300 for a 8GB! :rofl:

sinjinn
January 8th, 2007, 20:05
it does make sense. they sell u the ps3 at a loss for maybe 1 or 2 years . they rely on the games to make thier money for them till the ps3 is cheaper to make and then they sell at a profit.
so u r really getting more than u pay for with the ps3. its a bargain.

mavsman4457
January 8th, 2007, 20:12
This will cause flash memory prices to drop, every format. I just saw a 4gb CF card on slickdeals.net for $23. That site has good memory deals in case you are patient enough to wait for one but want a new memory stick badly.

gr42178
January 8th, 2007, 20:25
$300 (USD) = 230£ (Pounds)

And I just bought my Sandisk 4GB for $65...No way in hell I'm gonna pay $300 for a 8GB! :rofl:

Where did you find one for $65? Yea why pay $300 for 8GB when you can buy 4 x 4GB for less than $300.

felonyr301
January 8th, 2007, 20:37
hope you didnt buy it from ebay because a 4 gig for that price sounds like the fake memory sticks. Officially i can find them for about 85-100 bucks online.

gr42178
January 8th, 2007, 21:03
hope you didnt buy it from ebay because a 4 gig for that price sounds like the fake memory sticks. Officially i can find them for about 85-100 bucks online.

I saw them on Amazon for $85....dont know if thats a good place to get them though, I definitely would not buy one from Ebay, too many fakes on there.

Shrygue
January 8th, 2007, 21:10
$300 (£154) for a 4 gigabyte memory stick? That's a big price tag but oh well. With time, the price will drop and be less expensive. To me, I find official Sony memory sticks have faster transfer data transfer speeds than the ones Sandisk make.

Emeriastone
January 8th, 2007, 21:23
its just more worth it to save your money for a 32gb stick really. Even then I won't pay for anything less than half the standard price for it. I'm fine on 2gb and 1gb for now.

Edit, oh and I'm pretty sure my 2gb is a fake, some cheap faked product. I got it for $50 when the 2 gb first came out. It feels really cheap and splits down the side. The ebay vendor I got it from has since disappeared, and ppl left feedback about the sticks being sony fakes, but the stick works just as well as my other ones. If its a fake, then I couldn't care less if it works well.

cdrdj
January 8th, 2007, 21:24
$300 (£154) for a 4 gigabyte memory stick? That's a big price tag but oh well. With time, the price will drop and be less expensive. To me, I find official Sony memory sticks have faster transfer data transfer speeds than the ones Sandisk make.

It's 300 for the new 8 gig. Also, gamespot did tests that show that sandisk is superior in transferances. They're also much cheaper than Sony considering you can buy them at Best Buy for only $100 CDN and that's expensive already considering you can find much cheaper online.

eLAy12
January 8th, 2007, 21:25
thanks for the post scottyboynow. I saw that post. But i was looking for a more reliable source. You know, something from...sony or sandisk.

darthhaze420
January 8th, 2007, 21:38
I Will Get One As Soon As I Can Then Cry That I Am Broke

xg917
January 8th, 2007, 21:45
if only i had money.. well i got 2 1GB iPod nanos. i mite sell them, then i got a few games i can sell. also i can sell my 2gb memory card, and if i get enough money ill buy the 8gb. o snap but wut if i brick. 1.50 doesnt support 8 gb memory sticks. i guess ill jus go wit a 4 GB, thats enough for me

Shrygue
January 8th, 2007, 21:49
It's 300 for the new 8 gig. Also, gamespot did tests that show that sandisk is superior in transferances. They're also much cheaper than Sony considering you can buy them at Best Buy for only $100 CDN and that's expensive already considering you can find much cheaper online.

Oops, mistype error. Yes, I ment the 8gigabye stick. As for the data trasnfer speeds, I have a 2gig Sandisk stick and an official Sony 2GB. The Sony one reads and writes data faster that the Sandisk one, however.

Apoklepz
January 8th, 2007, 21:55
Well, hopefully we'll see a price drop on 4GB sticks sometime soon...just then, I'll buy two instead of paying $300 G out of my pocket...seems the smartest thing to do right now.

Veskgar
January 8th, 2007, 22:04
SanDisk, please please please create an 8GB Ultra II or Rapid GX version.

They are extremely faster. To give you an example using recent homebrew developments, when using a SONY stick to create the DATA.DXAR file for use in upgrading to 3.03 OE-A it took people like 10-15 minutes.

When I created the DATA.DXAR file using my SanDisk Ultra II PRO Duo it took just 1 minute.

So yeah, BIG difference in read/write speed. I say it every chance I get. The best stick so far for the PSP is a 4GB Ultra II from SanDisk.

So if SanDisk comes through with the 8GB that will be awesome.

Unfortunately the 32GB might not work with the current PSP but at least we could have 8GB which is still pretty good.

Vega
January 8th, 2007, 22:40
Or we could always grab a 4gig and use the Double Expand Memory Converter :D

baracki96
January 8th, 2007, 22:44
SanDisk, please please please create an 8GB Ultra II or Rapid GX version.

They are extremely faster. To give you an example using recent homebrew developments, when using a SONY stick to create the DATA.DXAR file for use in upgrading to 3.03 OE-A it took people like 10-15 minutes.

When I created the DATA.DXAR file using my SanDisk Ultra II PRO Duo it took just 1 minute.

So yeah, BIG difference in read/write speed. I say it every chance I get. The best stick so far for the PSP is a 4GB Ultra II from SanDisk.

So if SanDisk comes through with the 8GB that will be awesome.

Unfortunately the 32GB might not work with the current PSP but at least we could have 8GB which is still pretty good. WHY wouldn't a 32gb stick work on the current psp? Is there a hardware limit of some sort? Wow, and this is released just after Christmas (son of a..) oh well, Memory sticks go down in price fast, or at least they did in 2006 so it should be affordable for the masses round' fall.
Assuming you had a dedicated 2 gigs to other homebrew, this thing could hold 10 psx games, or 3 final fantasys.

LAW666
January 8th, 2007, 22:45
dammit, i just bought my 4gb

Vega
January 8th, 2007, 22:48
heh, apparently, 2.81 firmware or above is required for the 8gig pro duo

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/01/08/ces-8gb-memory-stick-duo-priced/

Emeriastone
January 8th, 2007, 22:49
WHY wouldn't a 32gb stick work on the current psp? Is there a hardware limit of some sort? Wow, and this is released just after Christmas (son of a..) oh well, Memory sticks go down in price fast, or at least they did in 2006 so it should be affordable for the masses round' fall.
Assuming you had a dedicated 2 gigs to other homebrew, this thing could hold 10 psx games, or 3 final fantasys.

I thought current firmware did away with memcard limit sizes--or did it just up the limit to 8gb? Clarification?

bwlfp
January 8th, 2007, 22:50
Anyone else developing a rather odd collection of memory cards? I have a 32MB, 2 X 512MB, and a 2 Gig which no doubt is nothing compared to some of you guys.

Tetris999
January 8th, 2007, 23:56
peeeeeeople just wait for psp2 i heard it gonna have 60gb or something, isnt that worth waiting for?

unless psp2's gonna be homebrew enabled or even released :p

Mister Klownes
January 9th, 2007, 00:12
I've got a pair of 32mb (the ones that come with PSP...I wrecked my first PSP trying to install that PSP2TV thing, bad memories), a 2gb, and a 4gb. The big ones were Christmas and birthday presents respectively. But I'd love to have bigger, as I'm trying to work my way back to 30ish since my iPod died and psp has become my mobile music source.

Veskgar
January 9th, 2007, 00:25
peeeeeeople just wait for psp2 i heard it gonna have 60gb or something, isnt that worth waiting for?

No, its not worth waiting for because it won't be homebrew enabled initially. It took the current PSP scene close to 6 months or so before the Hello World hack. And after all the BS firmware updates SONY throws at the PSP to try to defeat homebrew I doubt PSP2 will be easy to exploit. I'm not saying it will be impossible. But it sure won't be able to run unsigned code right out of the box like the original launch PSP's could.

WHY wouldn't a 32gb stick work on the current psp?

It might. But it will feature new technology (8-bit parallel interface) and I don't know if the current PSP will recognize it, be able to format it, etc. etc.

But even if you can't directly connect the PSP to PC like how we currently do it. Perhaps we could put everything on the stick with a memory card reader and then insert the stick in PSP.

I'm no expert on this and believe me I want 32GB of internal fast storage more than anyone but I'm just not going to give my hopes up. If someone knows more about the technology and how it might work with the current PSP I'd love to know more.

Vega
January 9th, 2007, 00:57
No, its not worth waiting for because it won't be homebrew enabled initially. It took the current PSP scene close to 6 months or so before the Hello World hack. And after all the BS firmware updates SONY throws at the PSP to try to defeat homebrew I doubt PSP2 will be easy to exploit. I'm not saying it will be impossible. But it sure won't be able to run unsigned code right out of the box like the original launch PSP's could.

Agreed 100%. And also, I find it futile in spending even more cash on an extended hardware PSP model when I already own a PSP. Im not made of money, unfortunatly. And if I did have the money, I would buy a next gen console instead of wasting it on something I already basically own.

kalhalla
January 9th, 2007, 04:55
Sandisk memory sticks are actually about half as fast as the sony ones. A friend and I were simultaneously copying the same file to our PSP's from two seperate computers, both equally fast and not running anything in the background, and the sony one beat the sandisk one by at least 2x speed each and every time.

Veskgar
January 9th, 2007, 05:40
Sandisk memory sticks are actually about half as fast as the sony ones. A friend and I were simultaneously copying the same file to our PSP's from two seperate computers.

I'm sorry but but what you said about SanDisk sticks being half as fast is just not true at all.

You mentioned that you were using 2 separate computers to do the "test". Its likely that the computer you connected the SanDisk stick to was using the USB 1.1 standard and not USB 2.0 which is a lot faster.

And if you are 100% sure that both computers were using USB 2.0 (with compatible USB 2.0 cables) it is likely that the SanDisk memory stick is one of those fakes that seem to be very widespread.

I will try and find the actual data but in correct professional tests, SanDisk outperforms everytime.

Baboon
January 9th, 2007, 08:35
Sandisk memory sticks are actually about half as fast as the sony ones. A friend and I were simultaneously copying the same file to our PSP's from two seperate computers, both equally fast and not running anything in the background, and the sony one beat the sandisk one by at least 2x speed each and every time.

Sandisk memory sticks have been proven to be loads quicker than the official $ony cards, as well as being significantly cheaper.

Do a quick google search yourself though and you'll find $ony cards simply do not compare - unless your mate possibly has a fake Sandisk? Heres one clear example: http://www.esato.com/archive/t.php/t-97942

Your just paying extra for the $ony logo for an inferior product! lol

My other peice of advice is dont get one of those Datel 4gb hard drives... I found out the hard way when mine packed up after a bout 3 months of use! They are cheap and nasty, and I would advise people to avoid them like the plague!! :(

I've had my 4gb Sandisk card now for about 8 months and its the best purchase I've made in a long time! :)

bitsnpieces
January 9th, 2007, 12:36
Since I use a Playgear shoulder strap, I can just buy up to five sticks of any size I want to add up to 8GB or more for a lot cheaper than that price, and won't be any hassle at all. It's not that hard taking out sticks.

I can also organise, music, games, demos, pictures, ETC. But that's just me. For those who can't be bothered with this sort of stuff, that new 8GB will definitely be gold.

But yeah... Dam so expensive...

xcjzerox
January 9th, 2007, 17:17
To Much Money

Xcalibur
January 9th, 2007, 17:52
man f*ck that. i kno where to get the sandisk one for 195 online. im gettin one at the end of february.

gr42178
January 9th, 2007, 18:01
man f*ck that. i kno where to get the sandisk one for 195 online. im gettin one at the end of february.

I didnt think Sandisk even announced they were making one yet...where did you find one for $195???

Xcalibur
January 9th, 2007, 18:28
dammit they jus raised the price. i checked on cdw.com like a month ago n it was goin for 194.99 n my mistake it was the sony one. now they list the price as 359.99. :mad:

gr42178
January 9th, 2007, 18:50
dammit they jus raised the price. i checked on cdw.com like a month ago n it was goin for 194.99 n my mistake it was the sony one. now they list the price as 359.99. :mad:

Dam that sucks, I was getting all excited, Oh well, will just have to wait for a price drop...

vietboy321
January 9th, 2007, 22:47
AND a few month down the road..... HERE COME THE 16GB Duo. Man i just got my 4GB for $60 not even a month yet and now a 8GB DUO! ! !

BrooksyX
January 10th, 2007, 00:49
This is good news for me at least because the 4 gb and 2 gb models will drop in price.

Mr. Shizzy
January 10th, 2007, 22:13

Really? Give us a link...