PDA

View Full Version : Chanka Compatibility List

DCEmu_Newsposter
May 31st, 2004, 21:39
There have been reports that legal software does not work with Chanka at all in this stage of development and since CD or DVD drives can't read GD ROMs it seems that there's no legal use for Chanka or a possiblity to help out with testing if you wanna help its evolution.[br][br]But that might not be correct: There are several releases that use CDs instead of GDs and that makes them testable with Chanka. [br][br]Feet of Fury[br]Bleem!cast for Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2, Tekken 3[br]Inhabitants[br]Maquipai[br]several apps like VCD and MP3 player[br][br]az_bont (http://www.psilocybindreams.com/) posted this statement some time ago:[br][br]"A quick scan of DCHomebrew.org reveals 69 original brews, 56 ported brews, 35 software brews, 3 brew loaders and 49 demo brews, totalling a massive 212 pieces of homebrew code available for download on that one site. And that's not even taking the countless KOS examples. [br][br]We've already heard examples of several pieces of homebrew running, and that's just from a few people checking a handful of stuff each. There are probably dozens of pieces of homebrew for the Dreamcast playable on this emulator."[br][br]One game that has been reported to work by Vorrtexx is Battery by Jimbo, but there might be a lot more... So let's collect some reports on those releases and reopen DCEmu (http://www.DCEmu.co.uk)'s Chanka compatibility list.[br][br]The next release of Chanka hopefully will allow the developers that are working on software for our beloved Dreamcast to use Chanka as a development tool.[br][br]A full list with complete bug reports will help the authors of Chanka to improve this impressive emulator in the future.[br][br]

MetaFox
May 31st, 2004, 21:46
There are several releases that use CDs instead of GDs and that makes them testable with Chanka.
Feet of Furyhttp://www.cyberdogcastle.com/screenies/fof.gif
Doesn't get past this loading screen.

Bleem!cast for Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2, TekkenThe way Bleemcast is designed doesn't allow for it to be read in PC CD-ROM drives.

Inhabitants, MaqiupaiThe final releases of these aren't out yet, but I'll test the preview releases.

Christuserloeser
May 31st, 2004, 21:46
Some earlier reports:

Well here's my Homebrew test list so far:

Giana Return - Didn't work, will try again
Revolver - Boots to Menu, when loading game just stops at loading screen. Loads fully with modifications.
DCastle - Boots to menu, runs very smooth, stops after starting game.
KOS Tsunami Banner Example - Works fine
KOS PVR Plasma Example - Works Fine.
KOS Parallax Bubbles Example - Works Fine.
Melchoir - Didn't Work.
Alice - Keeps Rebooting on Me, may of burned it wrong.
Battery - Works Fine
posted by: Vorrtexx

Even if the modem is not emulated, Dreamkey 3 runs fine.
LinuxDC seems to hang up after the kernel loading
posted by: Bedeux

Christuserloeser
May 31st, 2004, 21:47
DCDivx player runs fine, tested by Orkocattivo

wraggster
May 31st, 2004, 22:12
Great idea mate, lets hope everyone contributes

Christuserloeser
May 31st, 2004, 22:28
@Wraggster: Thanx, let's hope it'll work...

Stuff one could test would be homebrew games (Beats of Rage etc), ports (nxDoom, QuakeDC etc), emulators (NesterDC, DreamSNES etc), compilations (DCTonic etc) and apps (DCevolution (www.dcevolution.netfirms.com) DCEBook "Alice in Wonderland", VMUTool etc)

wraggster
May 31st, 2004, 22:30
id like to see all the dcevo releases tested

MetaFox
May 31st, 2004, 22:49
id like to see all the dcevo releases testedMost of them won't run, since the emulator chokes when trying to run Dream Inducer.

Beats of RageThe emulator chokes before loading this one as well.

wraggster
May 31st, 2004, 22:54
ive also used my power to get a sticky at emutalk on homebrew compatibility too, good to transfer across :)

Christuserloeser
May 31st, 2004, 23:46
:) That's nice!

@MetaFox: Bad news, but they'll recognize our reports, I am sure with that!
Some of our recent projects over at www.dcevo.com used single progs and apps such as the DCEBook project or GNUBoy GBSPlay

Cap'n 1time
June 1st, 2004, 00:17
itd be really cool if dc linux were to work on this thing! i got it to the boot screen but it seemed to stop after that.

you can see a screen shot at it here

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=DCPCEmu;action=display;num=108603752 5

wraggster
June 1st, 2004, 00:42
thanks for trying, any other homebrew shots would be very cool :)

MetaFox
June 1st, 2004, 00:50
And here it is, the only homebrew game that is completely playable, Battery:
http://www.cyberdogcastle.com/screenies/battery.gif

Just tested nxDoom and nxQuake - the emulator wouldn't load them.

No sense testing RadQuake, et. al - as any apps made with SDL aren't supported due to lack of support for the framebuffer.

wraggster
June 1st, 2004, 01:10
you know ive never tried that game looks nice

thanks for the screenshot metafox :)

Christuserloeser
June 1st, 2004, 01:27
Anyone tested Melchior? I love that game! But it's damn hard to play - I can't get to Stage 1 in 'Normal' mode... :P

MetaFox
June 1st, 2004, 01:27
you know ive never tried that game looks nice

thanks for the screenshot metafox :)Yeah, it's a good fighter. It reminds me of Rock'm Sock'm Robots, which is cool. ;D

wraggster
June 1st, 2004, 01:52
we need some releases with the best of the scene on, and try and make it play in chankast

Christuserloeser
June 1st, 2004, 02:17
I'd be interested in the DCTonic and its games or your Another World / Out of this World port, MetaFox.

@Ian Micheal: What about your games?

MetaFox
June 1st, 2004, 05:22
I'd be interested in the DCTonic and its games or your Another World / Out of this World port, MetaFox.

@Ian Micheal: What about your games?
SDL stuff won't load. That rules out my stuff and Ian Michael's stuff.

Christuserloeser
June 1st, 2004, 05:24
:( Very sad that is!

Vorrtexx
June 1st, 2004, 12:16
Yeah, it's a good fighter. *It reminds me of Rock'm Sock'm Robots, which is cool. ;D

MetaFox, were you running battery with the chanka_alpha_new_gfx or just the original chanka_alpha exe?
There was gfx glitches for me with the new_gfx release but it ran perfect with the normal chanka_alpha release.

MetaFox
June 1st, 2004, 12:24
MetaFox, were you running battery with the chanka_alpha_new_gfx or just the original chanka_alpha exe?
There was gfx glitches for me with the new_gfx release but it ran perfect with the normal chanka_alpha release.I'm running it with the chanka_alpha build. There didn't appear to be any graphic glitches. It ran pretty darn good.

WaCk0
June 1st, 2004, 19:16
http://www.geocities.com/wackoemu/dmsx_kv1.gif.txt

I tested DreamMSX. Run 50% of real speed on default and newgfx version, and play TOO FAST on capcom_hack version 8)

wraggster
June 1st, 2004, 19:19
looks very sweet :)

zino
June 1st, 2004, 19:29
ScummVM 0.6.0 (libronin app) seems to run resonably well, but the display keeps blinking on and off.

zino
June 1st, 2004, 19:32
DreamSNES 0.9.8 (libronin app) chokes after the first disclaimer. If I was to guess I'd say it doesn't like the TA-code used to fade out and blank the screen, but it's hard to tell without a monitor/debugger in the emulator.

Christuserloeser
June 1st, 2004, 20:15
Thank you for your reports! Great to see Sam'n'Max runnin with ScummVM - Makes me wanna play it once again :)

MetaFox
June 1st, 2004, 20:49
ScummVM 0.6.0 (libronin app) seems to run resonably well, but the display keeps blinking on and off.* MetaFox looks at his avatar.

Why I didn't think of testing ScummVM, I don't know. :P

But it's neat to see that it works.

wraggster
June 1st, 2004, 21:47
thanks for the screenshots keep em coming :)

Vorrtexx
June 2nd, 2004, 16:45
DemoMenu worked for me.
Also, Another Asteroids Clone works too.....way too fast :)

The splash screen for Giana's Return also shows up for me.

Vorrtexx
June 2nd, 2004, 17:07
BlackAura's port of Jump N' Bump seemed to load too.
This is Jump N' Bump Right.

I think I might be mistaking the title for another game involving cars that I used to have on the C64, maybe Bump N' Jump :)

Here's a shot of it.

Vorrtexx
June 2nd, 2004, 18:00
Re-tested Alice again. Seems to play perfectly.
I think I'll go have a game of this now :)

Oh yeah, DCastle also worked for me. there were some graphical glitches, but the game runs and plays fine.

wraggster
June 2nd, 2004, 18:37
wow we really need to compile a list of whats been found so far :)

anyone with 10 mins to spare that could make a list of whats been found so far and by who would be cool and ill add to an official site page with all credits :)

Christuserloeser
June 2nd, 2004, 18:40
Chanka Compatibility Chart:

Alice Dreams - Seems to play perfectly. submitted by: Vorrtexx

Another Asteroids Clone - works too.....way too fast submitted by: Vorrtexx

Battery - A homebrew game that is completely playable, I'm running it with the chanka_alpha build. *There didn't appear to be any graphic glitches. *It ran pretty darn good. submitted by: MetaFox & Vorrtexx

Beats of Rage - The emulator chokes before loading this one. submitted by: MetaFox

Bleem!cast for Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2, Tekken - The way Bleemcast is designed doesn't allow for it to be read in PC CD-ROM drives. posted by: MetaFox

DC Linux - got it to the boot screen but it seemed to stop after that. submitted by: 1timeuser

DCastle - Boots to menu, runs very smooth. There were some graphical glitches, but the game runs and plays fine. submitted by: Vorrtexx

DCDivx player runs fine submitted by Orkocattivo

DemoMenu - worked for me. submitted by: Vorrtexx

Dream Inducer - The emulator chokes when trying to run it submitted by: MetaFox

DreamKey3 - Even if the modem is not emulated, DK3 runs fine. submitted by: Bedeux

DreamMSX - Run 50% of real speed on default and newgfx version, and play TOO FAST on capcom_hack version submitted by: quzar

DreamSNES 0.9.8 (libronin app) chokes after the first disclaimer. If I was to guess I'd say it doesn't like the TA-code used to fade out and blank the screen, but it's hard to tell without a monitor/debugger in the emulator. submitted by: zino

Feet of Fury - Doesn't get past the loading screen. submitted by: MetaFox

Giana's Return - The splash screen shows up submitted by: Vorrtexx

Jump N' Bump - by BlackAura seemed to load too. submitted by: Vorrtexx

KOS Parallax Bubbles Example - Works Fine. submitted by: Vorrtexx

KOS PVR Plasma Example - Works fine. submitted by: Vorrtexx

KOS Tsunami Banner Example - Works fine. submitted by: Vorrtexx

LinuxDC - seems to hang up after the kernel loading. *submitted by: Bedeux

Melchior - Didn't Work. submitted by: Vorrtexx

Revolver - Boots to Menu, when loading game just stops at loading screen. Loads fully with modifications. submitted by: Vorrtexx

ScummVM 0.6.0 (libronin app) seems to run resonably well, but the display keeps blinking on and off. submitted by: zino

Talfi
June 2nd, 2004, 19:24
Bleem!cast for Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2, Tekken - The way Bleemcast is designed doesn't allow for it to be read in PC CD-ROM drives. posted by: MetaFox

I think this will work when the 'IOerror' will be fixed. One thing is play it... and another one is backup it.

We will see it in new versions... ;-)

Christuserloeser
June 2nd, 2004, 19:33
Would be interesting to see the following releases tested:

DCTonic / www.DCevo.com DCEBook "Alice in Wonderland"
Feenix Loader
GenesisPlusDC
GNUBoy
Inhabitants (Preview)
Lik Sang VCD and MP3 player
Maqiupai (Preview)
NesterDC
nxDoom2.2b
QuakeDC (WinCE)
RadQuake
VMU Tool v070

wraggster
June 2nd, 2004, 19:57
nice work this will be great to keep updated :)

MetaFox
June 2nd, 2004, 21:16
Wow, everyone's getting games that I tested before, that didn't work, working. a_a

I think I'll have to play with this some more.

wraggster
June 2nd, 2004, 21:22
Thanks all, nice to know Chankast isnt the devil that some thought it was.

Some great screenies in the list.

Christuserloeser
June 2nd, 2004, 21:28
Yeah, but definitly needs a lot of improvement and optimization for the coder's needs...

bloodyskies
June 2nd, 2004, 22:36
SBI v4 images boot, but the menu doesn't come up, just a black screen..

MetaFox
June 2nd, 2004, 23:22
Thanks all, nice to know Chankast isnt the devil that some thought it was.Comments like that don't help either Wraggster - they also add fuel to the fire to get the darn morality debate starting again.

Let's just leave this topic as discussing compatibility, and leave any morality commentary out of this topic.

Vorrtexx
June 2nd, 2004, 23:53
Inhabitants: Runs perfect for me.

wraggster
June 2nd, 2004, 23:58
wow neat looking game too, looks quite impressive, thanks for all the postings and screenshots Vorrtexx

Christuserloeser
June 3rd, 2004, 00:24
8) Great looking game!

I'll definitly buy it as soon as possible!

Vorrtexx
June 3rd, 2004, 00:30
a couple more HB tests (mostly ones that didn't work):

breakout : Not working
brkout: Not Working
Megaman X : Splash Screen displays, nothing after.
Amanda The Witch: Not Working
Bomberman clone: Not working
DC Fighting: Seems to run, but doesn't respond to input.
Catz n' Dogz: Works :)

Raster
June 3rd, 2004, 16:44
The Dreamcast port of the Chaos89.com demo (http://www.chaos89.com/DemoZone/) works perfectly in the Capcom hack version.

The other two version appear to have an issue with the vertical retrace. The demo starts out fine, but the letters eventually jumble up.

wraggster
June 3rd, 2004, 20:09
Heres some i found:

Beats of Rage (homebrew)
User comments:
Boots then hang.
Submitted by Omegainf

Christuserloeser
June 3rd, 2004, 20:39
...I'd like to see a DCastle shot in here :)

Vorrtexx
June 3rd, 2004, 21:48
DCastle running with Chanka_Alpha. Seemed to run well without the glitches with this build.

wraggster
June 3rd, 2004, 21:52
and thats an homebrew game, look at the quality

Vorrtexx
June 3rd, 2004, 22:10
Yeah, it's an impressive game.

Vorrtexx
June 5th, 2004, 12:12
A Simple SDL Example. Maybe more may load.

Ian_micheal
June 5th, 2004, 13:03
That's cool so it was just the paths thing. All sdl things should work now. Which is great. Was it what i said?

Radquake should work now to.

wraggster
June 5th, 2004, 13:29
post some screenies

Del_Boy
June 5th, 2004, 13:33
This is DC Doom (running Ultimate Doom from my own copy of the game).

It runs fast, however there is a screen redraw/refresh issue.

wraggster
June 5th, 2004, 17:02
very nice

another one for Chris`s List

Del_Boy
June 5th, 2004, 17:22
Smash DC - plays through the intro perfectly, and gets to the title screen (without locking up). Unfortunately I can't get the controls to work.

punker101
June 5th, 2004, 22:46
dream snes justs crashes windows :o

Christuserloeser
June 6th, 2004, 00:56
very nice
another one for Chris`s List
It's not my list :P - I don't even use Chanka at all ;D

This is DCEmu's official Chanka Compatibility Chart 8)

btw: Nice to see DoomDC runnin!

Vorrtexx has tested nxDoom too and posted at DCemulations message board (http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=51262&start=20):

I tested BlackAura's Jump N' Bump and it worked fine, and he said it used the framebuffer.
But I tested nxDoom and nxQuake also, and had no luck with them.

Chris

GPF
June 10th, 2004, 20:39
My Trampalien Gunmen DC loads up the menu screen and then it immediately acts like the fire/or start button has been pressed and starts the game, except as soon as the characters are displayed it freezes. I converted the SDL code to load from cd instead of the romdisk.

Troy

vipor231
June 12th, 2004, 16:37
do you find it strange that this just runs games and barelly runs any homebrew titles.

Christuserloeser
June 12th, 2004, 18:13
Well, IMO that certainly is really strange... I hoped for some special dev support!

Our Compatibility list for Chanka v02 is located here:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=DCPCEmu;action=display;num=108703128 2

Chris

Damien
June 16th, 2004, 08:33
I copied the compatability list from Emutalk before it closed.

You can find it here (http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~iceflow/Emutalk%20Compatability%20list.htm)

quzar
June 16th, 2004, 09:15
do you find it strange that this just runs games and barelly runs any homebrew titles.

i have that same weird feeling, as if it was using katana info. has anyone tested anything based on winCE with it (not necessarily commercial games) i think gyplay uses wince?

LyonHrt
June 16th, 2004, 12:08
i don't think it supports any wince at this time, homebrew wince titles include gyplay, boobboy, and sintendo

Christuserloeser
June 16th, 2004, 12:52
...and don't forget the wonderful QuakeDC :)

Chris

LyonHrt
June 16th, 2004, 22:21
oh yeah, i forgot about that one :P (i did say include, just incase i forgot any)

bender
June 16th, 2004, 22:54
Chanka Compatibility Chart:

I think you are wrong. Bleemcast can't be read because there are sectors that can't be extracted with a cdrom using the usual way.

The way that chankast works it's exactly like the dreamcast, so i think basically the emu will only read those parts that are needed to load BC into the memory forgoting those bad sectors. I think this means (sadly) what you are thinking about. BC will probably be dumped to the hd by some guy but doesn't mean that will be cracked because it probably has some more protections ;)

(my system can't run chanka for the specs and the fact of needing a windoze nt+ . Every site i visit has something about chankast. it's it really the emu that good or emulating the dc its really something that people have been waiting for? I was under the impression that it's a system that most of the people forgot once Sega said that it's dead... strange being the console so cheap and one of the best consoles ever made ;)

Ian_micheal
June 17th, 2004, 18:27
Now it's free and they can play the games they download thats about it. But it's good yes.

bender
June 17th, 2004, 21:56
thnks :)
uhmm, seems that it will be open source once they reach an stable version. Very interesting for future porters (Sega should made a Dreamcast2 that could run chanka :P )

Ian_micheal
June 18th, 2004, 08:31
It will be ported to xbox running at 10 fps with frameskip 9.

Christuserloeser
June 18th, 2004, 09:07
It will be ported to xbox running at 10 fps with frameskip 9.

200MHz SH4 RISC and 128Bit PowerVR2 runnin' at a 700MHz CISC CPU?

You'll get 1 FPS at FrameSkip 9 ;D

Chris

Ian_micheal
June 18th, 2004, 09:21
prolly but they can use x86 asm.

Christuserloeser
June 18th, 2004, 10:32
prolly but they can use x86 asm.

Makes it easier but all you'll get is a slowmo Dreamcast Slideshow ;)

Chris

Ian_micheal
June 19th, 2004, 15:37
good enff for us to have slow mo snes emus and neogeo cd emu's lol hehe. Im just geting bored today.

MetaFox
July 10th, 2004, 08:20
Duck Game by Sinister Tengu:
http://www.cyberdogcastle.com/duckgame.png

wraggster
July 10th, 2004, 08:41
any news if this version is better for homebrew?

MetaFox
December 28th, 2004, 17:16
I'm updating the games section of Dream On, and I downloaded an oldie but a goodie - Othello by Snoozy.

I removed the copyrighted material from the game so I can upload it to Dream On, burnt a CD to test it, tried it on my Dreamcast, and then thought I'd try it on Chankast for kicks.

To my surprise it works beautifully. :)

http://www.cyberdogcastle.com/othellochankast.png

Christuserloeser
December 30th, 2004, 13:10
cant see the last post of this topic ???

Christuserloeser
December 30th, 2004, 13:11
now i can *:o there's even a sixth page! its*not working, just like that Visual Troy Advcance GBA thread >:(

MetaFox
January 12th, 2005, 04:20
Yeah, I noticed that too when I posted my Othello screenshot.