PDA

View Full Version : SIXAXIS wins an Emmy for Technology and Engineering... wait, really?

wraggster
January 8th, 2007, 19:53
via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/sixaxis-wins-an-emmy-for-technology-and-engineering-wait-re/)

We interrupt our regularly scheduled CES blogathon to bring you some important industry news from the world of video games: the PlayStation 3's new (sort of) SIXAXIS controller has been honored by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences with a Technology and Engineering Emmy. Details are scarce, but the award will be handed over at an awards presentation being held tonight at ... wait, CES! Everything is captured in its gravitational pull, there's no avoiding it. Regardless, we're not sure exactly why the Sixaxis is receiving this honor, short of it being a technology product that undoubtedly involved some engineering, but we can't help but think something in the world of television must have been more deserving of such accolades.

F9zDark
January 8th, 2007, 20:04
via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/sixaxis-wins-an-emmy-for-technology-and-engineering-wait-re/)

We interrupt our regularly scheduled CES blogathon to bring you some important industry news from the world of video games: the PlayStation 3's new (sort of) SIXAXIS controller has been honored by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences with a Technology and Engineering Emmy. Details are scarce, but the award will be handed over at an awards presentation being held tonight at ... wait, CES! Everything is captured in its gravitational pull, there's no avoiding it. Regardless, we're not sure exactly why the Sixaxis is receiving this honor, short of it being a technology product that undoubtedly involved some engineering, but we can't help but think something in the world of television must have been more deserving of such accolades.

Haha, like what? TV is absolute shit, so its no wonder they're looking to games to hand out awards too.

Good job, Sony needs this boost.

Mister Klownes
January 8th, 2007, 20:24
Sony does need the boost...but an award for a controller? Not given out by IGN or the like? We really aren't a subculture anymore...gaming is fullblown...uh...thing.

Anyway, why would Sony get it when Nintendo had the idea first? and moreover, why would they award a rumble-less controller? I'm praying they find some way to change the DualShock system just enough to re-empliment it and avoid lawsuit.

Makaveli777
January 8th, 2007, 20:25
Yea seriously let sony have something. I think they deserved it. They been getting alot of undeserving disrespect lately.

F9zDark
January 8th, 2007, 21:56
Sony does need the boost...but an award for a controller? Not given out by IGN or the like? We really aren't a subculture anymore...gaming is fullblown...uh...thing.

Anyway, why would Sony get it when Nintendo had the idea first? and moreover, why would they award a rumble-less controller? I'm praying they find some way to change the DualShock system just enough to re-empliment it and avoid lawsuit.

Nintendo's implementation is different on many levels. And honestly, Sony's works alot better. The fact that the system handles all the calculations of the tilt rather than relying a sensor bar makes it a far more innovative, practical and intelligent solution. (Having played the Wii its ridiculous how easy the controller is mis-interpretted by the sensor bar.)

Emeriastone
January 9th, 2007, 07:47
I will admit, the wii sensor bar and wiimote are very enticing. However, if the PS3 can get its act together in 2007 then the Sixaxis controller may get the credit it deserves.

HitmanRotto
January 9th, 2007, 08:32
As F9zDark pretty much said, the difference between the sixaxis and the wiimote is that the sixaxis actually works. Finally, Sony gets something they have deserved from the start: respect.

mcvader
January 9th, 2007, 09:07
Fair enough giving an award for the sixaxis, but they should have given it to nintendo seeing every step of the playstation controllers evolution was ripped off from the big N.

I heard the sixaxis has to reconnect the blue tooth every now and then and half the time you have to plug it in via usb to get it to connect, and while you're doing this you are unable to so much as pause a game, just what I heard but if it's true it hardly sounds like something that works, I can't imagine the wiimote having any problems worse than this.

F9zDark
January 9th, 2007, 16:19
Fair enough giving an award for the sixaxis, but they should have given it to nintendo seeing every step of the playstation controllers evolution was ripped off from the big N.

I heard the sixaxis has to reconnect the blue tooth every now and then and half the time you have to plug it in via usb to get it to connect, and while you're doing this you are unable to so much as pause a game, just what I heard but if it's true it hardly sounds like something that works, I can't imagine the wiimote having any problems worse than this.

I haven't had this problem actually, and originally another complaint was that the PS3 controller had to be plugged in at system start to work. Maybe Sony fixed this in an update but that also is no longer true.

Really I don't see how it was a rip off of Nintendo. The design schemes are no where even remotely similar.

Wiimote uses an infrared transmitter to paint its location in relation to the sensor bar.

SIXAXIS judges the tilt of the controller along a specific axis, determines how much that tilt is and sends the data to the PS3.

To be honest, SIXAXIS is far superior to the Wiimote(there are absolutely no missreads, or room for error with the SIXAXIS). And even though they both are 'motion sensing' there is no way that Sony stole the idea from Nintendo; their implementation is not even remotely similar.

As well, a friend of mine who owns the Wii complains that the system doesn't have a standard controller. The learning curve for COD3 for instance was a bitch he claims and playing for any longer than half an hour is an absolute hell on his arms.

Granted that is one case out of how many million Wii owners; but in the end I think Nintendo will ultimately go the route of Sony. I like being able to choose whether or not I want to use Tilt in my games (the design of the PS3 controller makes it hard to control while tilting it quickly; I think thats why Sony made the Boomerang originally...)

HitmanRotto
January 9th, 2007, 23:29

I have never had or heard of anyone who has had problems with the blue tooth connectivity, actually everybody i've talked to says the controller has never had any hiccups whatsoever. By the way, have you even played the wii? The wiimote fails faster than a ****ing chinese motorcycle.

masterpaul
January 10th, 2007, 15:17
Haa... The SixAxis didn't get the awards... bummer!!!
SONY LIED!!!

http://gonintendo.com/?p=11447

F9zDark
January 10th, 2007, 15:49
Haa... The SixAxis didn't get the awards... bummer!!!
SONY LIED!!!

http://gonintendo.com/?p=11447

Sony didn't lie about shit, it was Engadget who made the report. And they didn't lie either; Sony still won, its just that Nintendo won ALSO. How is that lying?

I have said it before and I'll say it again; the Wii-mote sucks ass and unless Nintendo gets their shit together and makes it 100% precise, it will fail big time.

And people shouldn't have to burn candles to make the WiiMote work better; Nintendo should have perfected the design before release.