PDA

View Full Version : Sony CES keynote reveals PSP importance

wraggster
January 8th, 2007, 23:10
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/01/08/sony-ces-keynote-reveals-psp-importance/)

Did you know that Sony launched a new system in 2006? Yeah, I know. Crazy. Sony's hyping up the PLAYSTATION 3 machine, but it's nice to know that the PSP will not be ignored in 2007. In fact, the PSP continues to be an integral part of Sony's plan for world domination. Peter Dille teased PSP fans with the following tidbits:

PSP has sold over 20 million units worldwide. This ain't no Game Gear, folks.
Remote Play hype: "So if you want to access Spider-Man the Movie in Milan from your PS3 in Milwauke... it's possible."
Expanded "online community" for PSP .
Portable gaming is increasingly important to the consumer: Sony obviously wants a large cut of the market.

Vega
January 8th, 2007, 23:15
Sony at CES was pretty interesting. That new gadget they showed off that plugs into TV and plays any downloaded internet content from PC looked pretty cool. Probably cost a bucket load though. Still pretty interesting.

Mister Klownes
January 8th, 2007, 23:44
One can only hope for lots more content to be used as fodder in the homebrew arena. woo woo

Totalitarian
January 9th, 2007, 00:06
As long as Sony's integral plans for the PSP aren't all connectivity with the PS3 then it could shape up to be a better year for Sony.

Maybe they'll release the PS1 download service to non-PS3 owners...

*laughs*

Veskgar
January 9th, 2007, 00:08
Well its about time. Hopefully SONY can deliver on a better battery for the PSP to go along with larger memory stick capacity.

And what the hell is taking so long with the PSX downloads? They bragged about having a library of like 7000 and we got what? Like 6 or so now? Owell, I'll just convert the games myself then.

Thank you Dark_AleX!

aries2k4
January 9th, 2007, 00:58
Well its about time. Hopefully SONY can deliver on a better battery for the PSP to go along with larger memory stick capacity.

And what the hell is taking so long with the PSX downloads? They bragged about having a library of like 7000 and we got what? Like 6 or so now? Owell, I'll just convert the games myself then.

Thank you Dark_AleX!

Totally agree with you there. Makes you wonder why there“s not at least a few dozen psx games ready to download. I could understand if they had to reformat or do major changes. But that“s not the case.
Thanks to Dark Alex we know theres a ton of games that play perfectly with a simple conversion:thumbup:
Have to wonder about $ony“s strategy for this one:confused:

joshisposer
January 9th, 2007, 01:15
You have to remember, more money, more money more money. Sony probably looks at PSP sales and PS3 sales and when it starts to go down, they will release more PSX games. That might not be 100% true but the mo' money part is

F9zDark
January 9th, 2007, 01:26
Anyone who has played Resident Evil 2 know the emu is far from perfect. Thats probably what is taking them so long, finding ways to make compatibility in some areas while not breaking it in others.

Vega
January 9th, 2007, 02:14
I dont think Sony were ever banking on making the WHOLE ps1 back libary being playable on PSP.

For example, Resident Evil 2 could still sell well for Capcom if they ever decided to re-release it on UMD in a collection. Theres more money to be made for both Sony and game developers if re-hashed or re-vamped games can sell in retail stores for £30. So far, the only PS1 games we have seen Sony release is games with better sequels or games that wouldn't sell very well, had they been sitting in a retail store.
Just my opinion, but I very much doubt that Sony will ever release the big PS1 games for PSP (i.e MGS, Final Fantasy etc) because developers can still make money on remakes or re-releases.

mavsman4457
January 9th, 2007, 03:19
The only aspect of remote play that I care about is being able to play PS3 games through PSP. Well, not really but that is the most important.

the_eternal_dark
January 9th, 2007, 03:24
Some better online games would be great to see. Also, a chat service would be pretty cool as well.

F9zDark
January 9th, 2007, 03:43
I have been saying this for a long time and will say it again. I firmly believe that Sony should make the Playstation Network work with the PSP. Hell, imagine that shit, logged into your fave PS3 game, playing with some people and telling your friends through the PSP to join you (since currently you cannot message someone on PSN from within a game). But hell I'd just like to have a reason to use my PSP online aside from MGS:PO, which I haven't played since getting resistance.

Sadly, I don't think there would be enough room to give us PSN support on PSP, the flash is damn near full as is...

daCuk
January 9th, 2007, 15:01
Sony will require more than words to dethrone the DS.
Now excuse, Front Mission 3 is awaiting on my PSP. :)

pichon
January 9th, 2007, 17:56
Well whatever they say, I see PSP sadly going down slowly. There're not many great titles coming other than Final Fantasy and few more, 2006 was really good with Tekken, MGS, Outrun, GTA, Killzone, etc. but 2007 doesn't seem really that interesting. With Nintendo DS selling so much devs are losing interest on PSP :(

F9zDark
January 9th, 2007, 19:05
The PSP suffered from alot of original IPs that just sucked and ports that had horrible implementation. Even though Loco Roco isn't my kind of game, it is no doubt one of the best original IPs on the PSP.

However, what really hampered the PSP is the lack of good, tried and true franchises. First off Konami should have NEVER given us a ****ing MGS card game.

As well Capcom should jump in and give us some PSP exclusive RE titles or maybe even a Devil May Cry exclusive game. These are the titles that made the PS2 great and would undoubtedly help the PSP.