PDA

View Full Version : The Apple iPhone runs OS X

wraggster
January 9th, 2007, 18:07
via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/01/dsc_0182.jpg

Capping literally years of speculation on perhaps the most intensely followed unconfirmed product in Apple's history -- and that's saying a lot -- the iPhone has been announced today in collaboration with Cingular. Yeah, we said it: "iPhone," the name the entire free world had all but unanimously christened it from the time it'd been nothing more than a twinkle in Stevie J's eye (comments, Cisco?). Sweet, glorious specs of the 11.6 millimeter device (that's frickin' thin, by the way) include a 3.5-inch wide touchscreen display with multi-touch support, 2 megapixel cam, 8 GB of storage, and 3G radio -- and amazingly, it somehow runs OS X. A proximity sensor disables the touchscreen when it's close to your face, while the iTunes support rocks CoverFlow. In a twisted way, this is one rumor mill we're almost sad to see grind to a halt; after all, when is the next time we're going to have an opportunity to run this picture?

ExcruciationX
January 9th, 2007, 18:32
Awesome! I want one!

Accordion
January 9th, 2007, 21:31
i need one!!

TeenDev
January 9th, 2007, 21:37
Apple kicks *** man! take that Microsoft *******

woods05
January 9th, 2007, 23:52
Apple kicks *** man! take that Microsoft *******

Your saying that now. Wait untill you hear the price.
According to Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone , the Apple iPhone will cost about the same as the Playstation 3.

4GB iPhone = $499
8GB iPhone = $599
Dont forget those monthly charges :)
Dont forget the cost of music and video
Dont forget the cost of the iPhone carrying case(s)
The list continues....

.....wont be available in Europe untill Q4 2007.

emuking
January 10th, 2007, 05:44
Your saying that now. Wait untill you hear the price.
According to Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone , the Apple iPhone will cost about the same as the Playstation 3.

4GB iPhone = $499
8GB iPhone = $599
Dont forget those monthly charges :)
Dont forget the cost of music and video
Dont forget the cost of the iPhone carrying case(s)
The list continues....

.....wont be available in Europe untill Q4 2007.

i would rather have this than a ps3 though, this seems much more useful and its almost perfect
4 and 1/2 stars Apple :thumbup:

b8a
January 10th, 2007, 06:45
Bloody heck. If this is half as good as it's promised to be then this is it. Not keen on the fact that it's touchscreen only, but if this runs a full featured OS X in addition to being a phone with MP3 player and decent digital camera, there's no getting around this being the new must have portable device. Just wish that it wasn't a Cingular exclusive. With any luck it'll be easily unlockable.

...And about the price... That's cheep for a phone that promises every thing that this one does. Well, it's not cheep, but new high end phones regularly go for about that price (and more!) already. I wouldn't shell out that much for a PS3 because a PS3 really isn't that usefull. It just sits around and gathers dust most of the time and I'm no where near as likely to play games on it as I am on my PSP. But this! Useful everyday! It'd almost certainly be worth the current price, but hopefully it'll come down a bit by the time the Cingular exclusivity is dropped. (Like how the Razr started out at $600 as a Cingular exclusive, and can now be used with any carrier at a cost of well under $100.)

Plus, if this runs OS X, then music and video will only cost if you're enough of a sucker (or rich enough, or busy enough) to pay extra for them. Carrying cases are for weenies anyway, and where are there any indications that there will be any additional monthly charges for using this?

So far there doesn't seem to be any real big downsides to this. We'll all just have to see once it comes out though (!_!)

irongiant
January 10th, 2007, 13:44
With this phone they've just knocked MS out of the park! The gaming possibilities are endless, as far as price is concerned all new phones come out with a high price tag but soon after they get subsidised by service providers. Millions of people always want the next new phone and this is it, gonna be huge.

dejkirkby
January 10th, 2007, 14:22
This will no doubt be available for free on a contract. I'm so gonna get one.

woods05
January 10th, 2007, 22:25
Bloody heck. If this is half as good as it's promised to be then this is it. Not keen on the fact that it's touchscreen only, but if this runs a full featured OS X in addition to being a phone with MP3 player and decent digital camera, there's no getting around this being the new must have portable device. Just wish that it wasn't a Cingular exclusive. With any luck it'll be easily unlockable.

...And about the price... That's cheep for a phone that promises every thing that this one does. Well, it's not cheep, but new high end phones regularly go for about that price (and more!) already. I wouldn't shell out that much for a PS3 because a PS3 really isn't that usefull. It just sits around and gathers dust most of the time and I'm no where near as likely to play games on it as I am on my PSP. But this! Useful everyday! It'd almost certainly be worth the current price, but hopefully it'll come down a bit by the time the Cingular exclusivity is dropped. (Like how the Razr started out at $600 as a Cingular exclusive, and can now be used with any carrier at a cost of well under $100.)

Plus, if this runs OS X, then music and video will only cost if you're enough of a sucker (or rich enough, or busy enough) to pay extra for them. Carrying cases are for weenies anyway, and where are there any indications that there will be any additional monthly charges for using this?

So far there doesn't seem to be any real big downsides to this. We'll all just have to see once it comes out though (!_!)

i would rather have this than a ps3 though, this seems much more useful and its almost perfect
4 and 1/2 stars Apple :thumbup:

This will no doubt be available for free on a contract. I'm so gonna get one.

first of all, this will be $500 and $600 and not free.
Second of all, if something $500 or $600 is "cheap" to you, then you don't have any problems.

The thing about expensive portable things is that when they fall and shatter like a glass you've lost something valuable.
or they get stolen

It has been rumored that the battery life is short.

emuking
January 11th, 2007, 00:21
Second of all, if something $500 or $600 is "cheap" to you, then you don't have any problems.

The thing about expensive portable things is that when they fall and shatter like a glass you've lost something valuable.
or they get stolen

first of all dont post if you haven' t thought over what to say

second of all make a point and not spew random biased opinions you (insert brand name other than apple) fanboy :rolleyes:

woods05
January 12th, 2007, 07:15
first of all dont post if you haven' t thought over what to say

second of all make a point and not spew random biased opinions you (insert brand name other than apple) fanboy :rolleyes:

First of all, I have had plenty of time to think over what to say. On the other hand, you probably should have spent more time think on what to say on your post.

When I first heard of the new iPhone, I though it would be cool. I searched and found some features of the iPhone and was impressed. At this time, I did not know the price. When I saw the price, I was amazed. A phone that costs $500 and $600 is too much for me. Like I said before: If your budget allows for a phone of this price, then you don't have any problems.

Third, Why would I insert another brand name other other than Apple. Apple is the only company that is making a new iPhone that is expensive.

Fourth, It is true that some of this is opinion. One of the opinions that I have expressed is that the iPhone is expensive. In my opinion it is expensive, but to a person that has a lot of money it is not expensive. However, A lot of people that I have talked to [where I live] seem to share my opinion. Although that might be biased, assuming some of them share similar expenditure budgets.

On an different note. Stephen Colbert gave the Apple iPhone a double finger wag.

P.S.: Don't flame this post. Reply to it with a plausible aurguement.

b8a
January 13th, 2007, 08:33
Amen, emuking.

Wow, woods05. You should worry more about making plausible arguments yourself. Honestly, other than the price, all of your arguments have been based on pure rumour and opinion. Who the f' cares who Stephen Colbert is or what the f' his fingers are doing?

See, the problem with your arguments is that you're not making any good points. You're basically spewing toxic drivel, and you're not letting it go. It's fine if you have your own opinion, but so does everyone else here. Honestly, you've more than proven that you don't really know anything about what you're talking about and that you CERTAINLY don't have any special, inside-information about it. In other words, you have a lonely, unpopular opinion. That's all you have, and no one cares about it.

Yes, the iPhone will initially cost upwards of $500. Is that a similar price to the PS3? Yup. Is the PS3 expensive? The problem with THIS question is that "expensive" is a relative term. PS3 has an unquestionably high price tag in relation to other consoles, so it's safe to say that it's expensive. So why don't I consider a similar price for the iPhone to be expensive? Because, once again, "expensive" is a relative term, and in relation to other high end phones that attempt to offer what the iPhone is promising, it is no where near the high end of the spectrum. Go look at cell phone sites and you'll find that, in relation to the many other high end phones, the iPhone is, without a doubt, priced very reasonably. This is not saying that I can afford to rush out and buy one or that I'm even saving up to do so, but I do not believe that the relative term "expensive" applies to it.

And that's just dealing with the issue of the price alone, it doesn't even factor in the separate known and established facts that:
a) It's an Apple product. I don't care if you hate them, but I've never bought a bad product from them, not to mention that they have an excellent reputation irregardless of my personal experiences. They could easily sell the iPhone for $1000 more based almost solely on this facet alone. And they could get away with it for a year at the very least. I'm sure they're very much aware of this fact, and you should be more gratious about the very obvious truth that they aren't trying to fleece the consumer.
b) It's a PDA which has the potential to run desktop applications. This might not be much of a selling point for the PC crowd, but for Mac users like me, the prospect of being able to easily write software on my Mac and transfer the very same software over to my cell phone is a HUGE bonus. Without even mentioning the potential for running desktop software on the go, this undeniably has the potential to solve the issue of the worthless cell phone administration applications.
c) It features the first ever fully functional internet browser in a cell phone to be released in America. Safari is, hands down, the best browser I've ever used on any platform, so there isn't even any speculation about this.
d) It is, essentially, a full featured iPod. Even if it is slightly limited in (storage) space.
e) It features breakthrough original touch screen technology. Again, Apple could squeeze much more out of the consumer based on this facet alone. There's always the possibility that it won't work anywhere near as well as advertised, but since this is Apple we're talking about, I highly doubt that. They RARELY make spectacular claims about their products that they can't back up. Additionally, reliable touch screen technology in a cell phone is a huge breakthrough because it completely dispatches all of the previous, cumbersome input methouds. It allows you to use more full featured applications on the cell phone. We're not talking about a ridiculous gimmick like the DS where the existing input methouds are more than sufficient and there isn't any real hope of a substantial software base that would move it from gimmick to legitimate feature. There is no question that the iPhone's touch screen is a legitimate feature because input methouds on cell phones have always been a consistent problem. Personally, as a graphic artist, the potential to work on graphics on the go is a huge selling point for me, and that's completely disregarding the other legitimate potential benefits of the feature as they relate to day-to-day phone usage.

With these points in mind, it's utterly ludicrous to complain that the iPhone is expensive. Especially considering the fact that it's likely to be highly desirable, which is likely to push Cingular, and the providers that support it afterwards, to heavily subsidize it, pushing the price down much further. Like I said in my first post, this is exactly what happened with the Razr, which, by the way, was MORE expensive than the iPhone at launch and about 1/1000 as original (but still sold like hot-cakes irregardless of the price and lack of functional originality). It originally cost upwards of $600, but can readily be had for free these days. If you can't afford the iPhone now, suck it up and wait a few years like the rest of us poor people.

There's plenty to be skeptical about with the iPhone, and if you just want to express skepticism, that's great, but don't insist that you have legitimate arguments about a product that hasn't even been released yet. All of your arguments make it sound like you're just jealous or that you're looking to pick a fight. In the future it'd be nice if you simply post the words "Looking for a fight" at the top of your posts so that we can clear this up nice and early (!_!)

Once the iPhone comes out and we've all had a chance to look it over and evaluate it, then we'll be able to honestly discuss and debate the merits of the phone and it's price tag, but until that point, don't flame completely unknown features like the battery life and then turn around and insinuate that no one else is fairly discussing the matter. You're just coming off as very immature my friend.

BlackJack23
January 13th, 2007, 09:02
There b8a goes...
Lost in his endless ramblings again...:p

Anyway, the Apple iPhone cost $299 if you enter into a 2 year contract with Cingular. I'm not even dreaming of getting one in my country until 2009.

Accordion
January 13th, 2007, 17:02
i think the price will look much better to everyone, once you subtract the cost of an 8GB ipod nano, and even then you have so much added functionality it is actually well worth the price.

onto the build quality, its an apple product and will be produced exquisitely, apple has probably the best reputation for delivering products of the highest quality...you only need to open the side of a new MacPro to see that.

----
although in other [off-topic] news, unfortunately my macbook pro disk drive got stuck and wont eject at all, so now it is in for service. and while i have only had it since christmas, and im a bit annoyed as i was in the middle of installing final cut studio 5.1, it is covered by warrenty and is the first probvlem i think i have ever had with a mac product...

woods05
January 14th, 2007, 08:22
Amen, emuking.

Wow, woods05. You should worry more about making plausible arguments yourself. Honestly, other than the price, all of your arguments have been based on pure rumour and opinion. Who the f' cares who Stephen Colbert is or what the f' his fingers are doing?

See, the problem with your arguments is that you're not making any good points. You're basically spewing toxic drivel, and you're not letting it go. It's fine if you have your own opinion, but so does everyone else here. Honestly, you've more than proven that you don't really know anything about what you're talking about and that you CERTAINLY don't have any special, inside-information about it. In other words, you have a lonely, unpopular opinion. That's all you have, and no one cares about it.

Yes, the iPhone will initially cost upwards of $500. Is that a similar price to the PS3? Yup. Is the PS3 expensive? The problem with THIS question is that "expensive" is a relative term. PS3 has an unquestionably high price tag in relation to other consoles, so it's safe to say that it's expensive. So why don't I consider a similar price for the iPhone to be expensive? Because, once again, "expensive" is a relative term, and in relation to other high end phones that attempt to offer what the iPhone is promising, it is no where near the high end of the spectrum. Go look at cell phone sites and you'll find that, in relation to the many other high end phones, the iPhone is, without a doubt, priced very reasonably. This is not saying that I can afford to rush out and buy one or that I'm even saving up to do so, but I do not believe that the relative term "expensive" applies to it.

And that's just dealing with the issue of the price alone, it doesn't even factor in the separate known and established facts that:
a) It's an Apple product. I don't care if you hate them, but I've never bought a bad product from them, not to mention that they have an excellent reputation irregardless of my personal experiences. They could easily sell the iPhone for $1000 more based almost solely on this facet alone. And they could get away with it for a year at the very least. I'm sure they're very much aware of this fact, and you should be more gratious about the very obvious truth that they aren't trying to fleece the consumer.
b) It's a PDA which has the potential to run desktop applications. This might not be much of a selling point for the PC crowd, but for Mac users like me, the prospect of being able to easily write software on my Mac and transfer the very same software over to my cell phone is a HUGE bonus. Without even mentioning the potential for running desktop software on the go, this undeniably has the potential to solve the issue of the worthless cell phone administration applications.
c) It features the first ever fully functional internet browser in a cell phone to be released in America. Safari is, hands down, the best browser I've ever used on any platform, so there isn't even any speculation about this.
d) It is, essentially, a full featured iPod. Even if it is slightly limited in (storage) space.
e) It features breakthrough original touch screen technology. Again, Apple could squeeze much more out of the consumer based on this facet alone. There's always the possibility that it won't work anywhere near as well as advertised, but since this is Apple we're talking about, I highly doubt that. They RARELY make spectacular claims about their products that they can't back up. Additionally, reliable touch screen technology in a cell phone is a huge breakthrough because it completely dispatches all of the previous, cumbersome input methouds. It allows you to use more full featured applications on the cell phone. We're not talking about a ridiculous gimmick like the DS where the existing input methouds are more than sufficient and there isn't any real hope of a substantial software base that would move it from gimmick to legitimate feature. There is no question that the iPhone's touch screen is a legitimate feature because input methouds on cell phones have always been a consistent problem. Personally, as a graphic artist, the potential to work on graphics on the go is a huge selling point for me, and that's completely disregarding the other legitimate potential benefits of the feature as they relate to day-to-day phone usage.

With these points in mind, it's utterly ludicrous to complain that the iPhone is expensive. Especially considering the fact that it's likely to be highly desirable, which is likely to push Cingular, and the providers that support it afterwards, to heavily subsidize it, pushing the price down much further. Like I said in my first post, this is exactly what happened with the Razr, which, by the way, was MORE expensive than the iPhone at launch and about 1/1000 as original (but still sold like hot-cakes irregardless of the price and lack of functional originality). It originally cost upwards of $600, but can readily be had for free these days. If you can't afford the iPhone now, suck it up and wait a few years like the rest of us poor people.

There's plenty to be skeptical about with the iPhone, and if you just want to express skepticism, that's great, but don't insist that you have legitimate arguments about a product that hasn't even been released yet. All of your arguments make it sound like you're just jealous or that you're looking to pick a fight. In the future it'd be nice if you simply post the words "Looking for a fight" at the top of your posts so that we can clear this up nice and early (!_!)

Once the iPhone comes out and we've all had a chance to look it over and evaluate it, then we'll be able to honestly discuss and debate the merits of the phone and it's price tag, but until that point, don't flame completely unknown features like the battery life and then turn around and insinuate that no one else is fairly discussing the matter. You're just coming off as very immature my friend.

ok, thanks for all of that.
I saw a lot of very true points there. Although some seemed kind of negative towards me. I guess thats what I get for being the only one opposing the iPhone. It feels like its 50 people vs. 1 me.

This is just a friendly augrement. No need to attack me for being on the other side. I said that the iPhone being expensive is just MY opinon. No one is being forced to follow it. You have the right to oppose it. I'm not stopping you. I thought I made some good points. I said that the iPhone has amazing features but is too much money for me.

You said that my post was "toxic drivel"? That I need to worry about making plausible aurguements? All I said is:
1. The previous person should have spent more time on their post. That was said in response to their post that said the same thing. Not important to the point.
2. I thought the iPhone was awesome. When I heard the price, I knew I wouldn't be able to afford it. To me it wasn't worth it.
3. Why would I insert a different brand name besides Apple. Apple is the only company that is making a new iPhone that is $500 or $600. That has to deal with the previous post. It didn't make much sense why they asked it. I tried to clear it for them simply.
4. The iPhone being expensive is my opinion. Most people I know agree with it under their choice.
5. Stephen Colbert and a double finger wag.
Stephen Colbert is an american comedian. He said some things that were not all against the iPhone. The purpose of putting that in my post was just for fun. I infer you didn't see it that way.
6. Dont flame. Reply with plausible augrement. Thanks for doing that.[that was not sarcastic].

The Point of it All
The point of it all is that although the iPhone has good features it is too expensive in my opinion.

Now, over some of the things in your post.
You couldn't be more correct when you said that I didn't have special, inside info. I agree with that 100%. It is also true that I have a lonely, unpopular opinion. You also said "and you not letting go" [after the part about the toxic drivel]. That is just simply part of the aurguement. I want to get my say in as do you.

From what you said I understand your opinion of expensiveness to be based on features, features of competing products and their prices. [something like that, I not sure]
I agree with that to a point. My opinion is that point is based on a price. At a certain price, an object is expensive. [hopefully that part makes sense, i know what I want to say, I'm just not sure how to word it]

Moving on, I have had bad expirences with Apple products and Apple. Although, the Apple product I had bad expirences with is an Apple computer. It is true that it was just bad luck that I had problems at that time.
[you could probably skip this next part is you want to, it has little to do with Apple products. It is only about Apple, the company]
Truthfully, I don't like Apple because of their commercials. I don't like any company that degrades another company.[example: alltel].

Next, I guess it would be nice. I can't relate well seeing as I'm not a Mac user. I do agree with your point "b".

c) You do you have point here about the cell phone browser. Although, I haven't used Safari, so I wouldn't know much about it being good. I use IE 7 and I'm used to it. It might be the worst. I have used Opera and Firefox, but I like using what I'm used to.

d) True, this is the part I like about the iPhone. iPod's are nice, and widescreen videos would be cool.

e) I haven't used the iPhone's breakthrough touchscreen technology so I don't know how good it will be. You said you haven't had the chance to evaulate it yourself so you can't say how nice the touchscreen is. I can't either. I'm not saying the iPhone's screen is bad. I don't know either. In my opinion, the Nintendo DS touchscreen is great. You seem to have different views on it. I strongly disagree with you, but I respect your opinion.

You said,
"If you can't afford the iPhone now, suck it up and wait a few years like the rest of us poor people."
<end of quote>

I guess thats all we can do.

You said,
"There's plenty to be skeptical about with the iPhone, and if you just want to express skepticism, that's great...."
<end of quote>

I agree with you there...

You said,
"...but don't insist that you have legitimate arguments about a product that hasn't even been released yet."
<end of quote>

My point was targeted on the price, not the product. The product is fantastic. I don't agree with the price. I'll just have to suck it up for a couple of years until the price comes down.

You said,
"All of your arguments make it sound like you're just jealous or that you're looking to pick a fight. In the future it'd be nice if you simply post the words "Looking for a fight" at the top of your posts so that we can clear this up nice and early (!_!)"
<end of quote>

I guess I would like to have an iPhone. I know thats not going to happen. You have a point there. You are wrong when you say I'm looking to pick a fight. No, I'm just up for friendly aurgement. In the future, I should put at the top "Looking for Friendly Aurgement" at the top of my posts so that you can ignore or discuss. Actually a lot of this is just defending view.

You said,
"Once the iPhone comes out and we've all had a chance to look it over and evaluate it, then we'll be able to honestly discuss and debate the merits of the phone and it's price tag...."
<end of quote>

I agree 100%.

"...but until that point, don't flame completely unknown features like the battery life and then turn around and insinuate that no one else is fairly discussing the matter..."
<end of quote>

I'm trying to make it sound like I'm not flaming. If it sounds like it please understand I just want a peaceful discussion. You have a point about the battery life thing. It may or may not have good battery life. We wont know until it is released. On Wikipedia, it said there was rumors that it will have poor battery life. No one will know until it is released.
I don't know what to say about turning around and insinuating that no one else is fairly discussing the matter. Sorry. I didn't mean it. You have made many good points.

You said,
"...You're just coming off as very immature my friend."
<end of quote>

I'm sorry. I just want a peaceful discussion. I respect all of your opinions. I hope you can do the same. As I have said before, you have made many good points.

b8a
January 14th, 2007, 10:43
OK. I appologize if I disrespected your desire for a peaceful discussion, but you have to understand that, until it comes out, there's really not much to talk about.

You consider it expensive. You've expressed your opinion and we get it. I can't speak for everyone else, but on my behalf, your posts make me want to bash my head against my desk. You just keep on saying the same thing over and over again. It's frustrating because all of the points that you just don't seem to get -- like the fanboy comment -- shouldn't need to be spelled out.

But, I respect the fact that you're looking for a discussion. I honestly don't know what there is to discuss about the iPhone, I would just like to keep this thread from turning into an overly pessimistic iPhone-bashing thread fuelled by likely baseless rumours and Apple hate-mongoring.

The fact is that, with all of the known data about this phone, it looks like a clear-cut winner. It is not a "me-too" Zune, or a GBA with a tiny touch screen attached, or even an attempt to shove the blu-ray format down our throats. It is one of those rare products that (if it lives up to it's promise) is truly revolutionary, taking great steps forward in not only delivering a solid product, but also in meeting customer wants and expectations. It's refreshing to see a company attempt to deliver what we want instead of trying to tell us what we should want. And it's sad that so many people attack the iPhone without giving it credit for those points. This is the reason why it's going to feel like 50 against one. So far, there really aren't any confirmed downsides to this product other than the price. So anyone who makes multiple negative posts about it is going to come off as a stubborn, overly opinionated fanboy. ...Not saying that you are, but you have to realize that this is how it's coming across.

(As far as a discussion about other topics goes though, I do agree with you to an extent about not supporting companies based on their annoying advertising strategies. Apple has woefully awful advertising (not to mention those hideously flamboyant iMacs from a few years back!), and I think it speaks volumes about the kind of product quality they deliver by the fact that I support them in spite of these aspects. I've completely dropped support for Nintendo because they've embraced an annoying advertising strategy that they've fully admitted knowing was going to be annoying beforehand. I could've perhaps overcome this if they had offered us something of any notable value... But they haven't. Both of their recent hardware hits are little more than repackaged old products with crowd pleasing gimmicks attached. They are the epitome of a company that exists to do little more than fleece the consumer. Repackage after repackage... Rerelease after rerelease... Even if I liked the strategy, I'm far too poor to keep giving them money everytime they feel like they simply need to boost their fiscal outlook)

Blackjack23: I tried to keep it short, I really did!! (;_;)

woods05
January 15th, 2007, 05:45
OK. I appologize if I disrespected your desire for a peaceful discussion, but you have to understand that, until it comes out, there's really not much to talk about.

You consider it expensive. You've expressed your opinion and we get it. I can't speak for everyone else, but on my behalf, your posts make me want to bash my head against my desk. You just keep on saying the same thing over and over again. It's frustrating because all of the points that you just don't seem to get -- like the fanboy comment -- shouldn't need to be spelled out.

But, I respect the fact that you're looking for a discussion. I honestly don't know what there is to discuss about the iPhone, I would just like to keep this thread from turning into an overly pessimistic iPhone-bashing thread fuelled by likely baseless rumours and Apple hate-mongoring.

The fact is that, with all of the known data about this phone, it looks like a clear-cut winner. It is not a "me-too" Zune, or a GBA with a tiny touch screen attached, or even an attempt to shove the blu-ray format down our throats. It is one of those rare products that (if it lives up to it's promise) is truly revolutionary, taking great steps forward in not only delivering a solid product, but also in meeting customer wants and expectations. It's refreshing to see a company attempt to deliver what we want instead of trying to tell us what we should want. And it's sad that so many people attack the iPhone without giving it credit for those points. This is the reason why it's going to feel like 50 against one. So far, there really aren't any confirmed downsides to this product other than the price. So anyone who makes multiple negative posts about it is going to come off as a stubborn, overly opinionated fanboy. ...Not saying that you are, but you have to realize that this is how it's coming across.

(As far as a discussion about other topics goes though, I do agree with you to an extent about not supporting companies based on their annoying advertising strategies. Apple has woefully awful advertising (not to mention those hideously flamboyant iMacs from a few years back!), and I think it speaks volumes about the kind of product quality they deliver by the fact that I support them in spite of these aspects. I've completely dropped support for Nintendo because they've embraced an annoying advertising strategy that they've fully admitted knowing was going to be annoying beforehand. I could've perhaps overcome this if they had offered us something of any notable value... But they haven't. Both of their recent hardware hits are little more than repackaged old products with crowd pleasing gimmicks attached. They are the epitome of a company that exists to do little more than fleece the consumer. Repackage after repackage... Rerelease after rerelease... Even if I liked the strategy, I'm far too poor to keep giving them money everytime they feel like they simply need to boost their fiscal outlook)

Blackjack23: I tried to keep it short, I really did!! (;_;)

After going over your post and comparing it to mine, I realized that I am wrong. I now understand where you were coming from. The iPhone isn't expensive. That word just doesn't apply to it. I guess your right. The comments I made would probably be frustrating for you to suffer through. Your right again, we don't want this to turn into an iPhone-bashing thread. The clear cut winner is truly the revolutionary iPhone. What was I thinking to attack Apple for delivering such a wonderful slice of heaven. I owe my gratitude to Apple and you. I'm happy we can all be on the same team. It doesn't have to be 50 vs 1 or whatever anymore. Your always right, no one should post any negative posts or they are a stubborn fanboy. I used to post negatively about the iPhone. You changed my life.

The iPhone, the least expensive phone on the market.

Shame on me for thinking otherwise for one second.

Thank you again for bringing me to the light.

b8a
January 15th, 2007, 10:21
Beautiful sarcasm my friend! Simmer down! You certainly can't hope to express your opinion and then get all bent out of shape when I express mine.

No one's trying to squash your opinion, and I'm certainly not saying that the iPhone is a guaranteed flawless platinum product that's going to change the world and feed millions. I truly (no sarcasm) respect that there are people who legitimately don't like it, and I also respect that they have their reasons.

But, as an Apple user in a world of Wintel drones, it's very frustrating when great Apple products get flamed based soley on prejudices and old habbits. In light of the fact that you just kept bashing the price, weren't giving any thought to what others were saying, and kept bringing up gossip and rumours about it, it sorely looked like that was the direction you were taking the thread.

I honestly do not care if you think the phone is great but expensive. I do wish that we could keep the thread clear of long winded tirades like these so that others would feel free to post their opinions (good, bad, or ugly) as well. Although at this point I just wish some real news would come out about the phone so we could just move on...

woods05
January 15th, 2007, 19:02
I tried to be nice about it. Now you can legitimitly call me a flamer.

I can't express my opinion with out being called a fanboy or whatever. The only rumor I stated was about the battery life and I dropped it. All the Apple minorities think their real special.

The point is about the price. NOTHING else. Maybe that was why I kept "bashing" the price.

So frustrating

If don't care, then don't reply to this post.

dejkirkby
January 15th, 2007, 19:08

or they get stolen

In the UK, 99% of all contract phones are free. This will be no exception.

acn010
January 15th, 2007, 19:16
apple got sued by its name cause another third party used it, lol

woods05
January 16th, 2007, 01:42
In the UK, 99% of all contract phones are free. This will be no exception.

thats cool, i didn't know that. I wish it was like that in the U.S.