PDA

View Full Version : Opera: Wii Browser Issues? Blame Nintendo

wraggster
January 9th, 2007, 18:39
via wired (http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/01/opera_wii_brows.html)

A big part of Opera's CES lineup is their Web browser for Wii. Since the device is in public beta right now, I decided to ask what we might see in the final version that Nintendo will offer this spring. The thing is, Opera reps don't know -- in fact, they say, it's Nintendo who's calling the shots. They'd like to add support for widgets, maybe some tabbed browsing, all that good stuff. But if Nintendo doesn't tell them to put it in, it doesn't go in.

Opera also brought their Nintendo DS browser software -- currently only available in Europe and Japan. Why isn't this out in the US? Opera says they'd like to, but again, it's Nintendo's call. They speculated it might be because Nintendo wanted to have internet hot-spot partners up and running first. I guess that whole thing with McDonald's wasn't the success they'd hoped it would be.
Opera was also passing out wrist straps that read Opera Powered, right by the Wii demo area. "You're not allowed to use those with your Wii remote," said the guy as I took one. I think that was their intention at first, but the flimsy line looked like a recipe for disaster

shadowprophet
January 10th, 2007, 01:43
at the moment im more concerned about the beta version of the browser.
so many exploits have been found. Its going to be a shame when nintendo starts forcing firmware updates on us.....
Or worse, auto updating our firmware for us.........
Can you imagine?
Error! you can not play vc games untill you update your console....
Think it's not going to happen like that?

Think again....

Shadowblind
January 10th, 2007, 03:14
Nintendo doesnt seem too much like Sony...but you never know...

DPyro
January 10th, 2007, 03:45
Games are separate and not dependent on the consoles software.

shadowprophet
January 10th, 2007, 03:49
Games are separate and not dependent on the consoles software.

Sniper, lol Your my bro and I luv ya.
But where you high when you made that statment lol :rofl: ;)

DPyro
January 10th, 2007, 03:55
I mean firmware...you won't need to update your firmware to play games that are currently released. Kinda like the VC games you mentioned.

Shadowblind
January 10th, 2007, 04:01
They have to modify the original game to place it in the virtual console section anyway. They may add a block on each newly added game.

MikeDX
January 10th, 2007, 09:02
Not out in the US for the DS?

Must be revenge for invading Iraq :D