PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii Modchip Maybe Being Worked On ?

wraggster
January 9th, 2007, 18:45
The Cobra team who are famous for their GameCube Modchip posted a new bios for that modchip and posted this:

Happy new year!

Check the PDF manual for more info.

It seems the GC scene is pretty much dead, greetings to those who keep it alive.

Wii'll be back soon

I personally hope for an easier way to get homebrew on the Wii.

SwordOfZork
January 9th, 2007, 19:01
Could be cool, but I'm hoping for the Opera browser exploit to result in some custom firmware. I'd much rather use modded firmware than get a soldering iron anywhere near my Wii.

SkyeDarkhawk
January 9th, 2007, 23:52
Well, if I remember correctly from the Wii Hacking conference video from awhile back; it's already possible, it's just a matter of time before teams like Cobra, Qoob, and the others work on some proof of concept designs for modchips.

Plus, there will always be "professional" services for soldering modchips into systems so you don't have to personally do any of it. Heck, you might be able to trade in your system with some extra cash for a new one with the modchip pre-installed with the firmware of your choice. Of course, this is a way down the road, but still a possibility.

shadowprophet
January 10th, 2007, 02:21
I have a good feeling that out of the sevral exploits found in the wii browser. at least one of them will prove to be an answer to wii-brew :)

the_eternal_dark
January 10th, 2007, 05:30
I have a good feeling that out of the sevral exploits found in the wii browser. at least one of them will prove to be an answer to wii-brew :)

and ultimately lead to piracy...:(

biomechanic
January 10th, 2007, 14:16
well here is the pressconference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTx2MAOspS4&eurl=
Stats that backup is ready to go but homebrew still has some way to go...

shadowprophet
January 10th, 2007, 14:22
well here is the pressconference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTx2MAOspS4&eurl=
Stats that backup is ready to go but homebrew still has some way to go...

Thats a good video Ive seen it though, its a few weeks old bro.
still an intresting vid. but this video was made before these new browser exploits where found ;)

Herbster
January 10th, 2007, 22:53
Didn't the cobra team just do the bios and the viper team did the chip, it's been a while now but that's how I remember it.

bmemike
January 11th, 2007, 14:29
Everyone's forgetting that the current browser is in Beta. Beyond that, we don't know if they can push down a browser update via the update service - which would close that hole forever.

I'd rather not rely on a confirmed security hole in the Opera browser as the only way to run homebrew on my Wii.