PDA

View Full Version : Moonbooks

wraggster
January 9th, 2007, 19:17
Brandon has updated his archive of Books for the Moonshell application which now stand at a rather impressive 200.

Check them out here --> http://moonbooks.stonecypher.net/

canvasch
January 10th, 2007, 02:58
this really is a great project, i highly reccremend getting the dictionary, the philosophy books and the sherlock holmes books :D

i do wish he'd break the law and put copyrighted books on there.. but what can you do :P
it'd be nice if he released the program he made to convert the .txt files to the right amount of spaces....

DanTheManMS
January 10th, 2007, 03:55
On the gbadev.org topic for Moonbooks, someone released a Perl script that will automatically wrap a text file to 40 characters per line, which is the setting that the guy at Moonbooks uses, although I believe he merely uses a different text editor for his project. In any case, you have to have Perl installed on your computer to run it, but after that it's as easy as any other command-line program. Heck, DSLinux even has a miniature version of Perl installed, so you could use that if you're prepared to wait a really long time for it to finish.

bobslack
January 10th, 2007, 04:09
but that would be wrong ;)

seriously though, i'm really hoping to get some positive attention from someone in the commercial development community. Just think, with how great MoonShell is, how much better of a book reader would a commercial developer with real money to throw at a project like this would be.

and any of you commercial developers out there, i can be reached at [email protected] and have tons of books handy. ;)

note: i'm brandon incase anyone didn't guess...

phantombantam
January 10th, 2007, 21:05
How is the bookreader on moonshell? Can you flip it sideways (Brain Age style)?

canvasch
January 10th, 2007, 22:54
the words are wrapped perfectly to suit the DS's screen.... no you can't hold it book style.. but if you have ever tried you would know it doesn't work as well....
comic book DS however is best (imo) when held like a book... using the top screen to view zoomed in portions and using the bottom screen to navigate around the page