PDA

View Full Version : What operating system do you pefer?

abeisgreat
January 9th, 2007, 19:17
I was just wondering what the people here like to use on there PC, i have a mix on mine of linux and windox ( i pefer linux) What do you like?

ACID
January 9th, 2007, 19:24
This question is asked every other week in a poll

abeisgreat
January 9th, 2007, 19:25
Ok, but you didnt anwser

ACID
January 9th, 2007, 20:23
windows xp business

Nicko01
January 9th, 2007, 20:26
I use XP professional, but I LOVE OSX.
So much fun. I need to get myself a real mac besides the old 1 i have.

JKKDARK
January 9th, 2007, 20:54
I'm still with XP

Accordion
January 9th, 2007, 21:22
you missed something...

Mac OS X, running parrallels WinXP in coherance mode

MAC OS X and Win XP at the same time!!!

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/535/ishot5rj4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ill say osx [again] just for the sake of your [overused] poll though...

the_eternal_dark
January 9th, 2007, 21:22
XP Pro and Linux

mexicansnake
January 9th, 2007, 21:31
Vista and Linux!

TeenDev
January 9th, 2007, 21:40
well Leopard hasn't really been released yet but i still use Mac OS X 10.3.9 i also use Windows XP SP2 running on a 633MHz Gateway E-1400 it sucks

JKKDARK
January 9th, 2007, 22:00
Vista and Linux!

The mexicaneses like Microsoft?

ExcruciationX
January 9th, 2007, 22:49
Linux.

the_eternal_dark
January 10th, 2007, 03:59
Vista and Linux!

How is Vista, btw?

scarph
January 10th, 2007, 07:03
running windows and osx at the same time isnt really running xp. sure you can see what it looks like and play around with it, however it doesnt run nearly as well as if it were the real operating system on the machine.

if you have an apple use osx, if you have a pc use windows.

Cap'n 1time
January 10th, 2007, 07:12
linux for the win

dejkirkby
January 10th, 2007, 09:06
XP Pro with the fightback.

splodger15
January 10th, 2007, 09:08
I want to get vista but i am still on xp

mcvader
January 10th, 2007, 09:50
what about DOS?

I've never had a mac and I've only ever used windows on PC's so I guess I'm gonna have to go with windows XP Professional.

Accordion
January 10th, 2007, 15:11
running windows and osx at the same time isnt really running xp. sure you can see what it looks like and play around with it, however it doesnt run nearly as well as if it were the real operating system on the machine.

if you have an apple use osx, if you have a pc use windows.

have you actually tried it???
i can dual boot for games, run xp, and linux at full speed within window in osx. and instantly swap to full screen or simultaneous view in a button press.
in fact the VM is more stable, proof coming from the fact that my bootcamp partition has already crashed twice running XP natively...

scarph
January 11th, 2007, 01:39
heres what linux people sound like to me.

"i dont like windows cus everyone else has windows, i like being different"

i think windows is the best os you can get. its made by numerous graduate school grads.

the_eternal_dark
January 11th, 2007, 02:03
heres what linux people sound like to me.

"i dont like windows cus everyone else has windows, i like being different"

i think windows is the best os you can get. its made by numerous graduate school grads.

OS-X, XP, and Linux are pretty much tied in my bbok as they do different things better than the next.

I like using Linux because it's fun to mess around with, but I wouldn't use it as a "first choice" os.

Cap'n 1time
January 11th, 2007, 06:25
Linux is without a doubt the most secure OS.

I like the constantly updated free and open source software. I also think the community is much more interesting.

scarph is certainly right though.. there are some idiots who use linux just because they think it makes them sound smart. There are signs you can watch for though..

If they cant figure out how to compile things from the source and continue to use it.
If they ask what to do with a tar file.
Often if they use Redhat or fedora core (no offense to some of you that do that arnt stupid.)
If they use ubuntu but have no idea what Debian is.
If they think that compiling EVERYTHING in Gentoo is a good idea. (at least i think thats idiotic)
If they think that novell is good because of their little suse thing a few months ago.
If they still like suse at all.

so watch for these signs.

scarph
January 11th, 2007, 07:22
yep cap'n i have no idea what that stuff is.
i mean linux sounds interesting but i don't really understand the point of it.

what can you do on it that you can't do on widows or apple machines

BlueCrab
January 11th, 2007, 16:52
I use Mac OS X for most everything I do.
Linux is my second choice.
Windows is a distant last place (I'd rather use DOS than Windows)

And as a side note, compiling everything in Gentoo is how I set up my Linux boxes. I'd like to think I'm not some Linux zealot... I just like to make sure everything is tweaked to my liking when I'm working with a Linux distro that allows that.

scarph
January 11th, 2007, 19:44
hey im from maryland too blue crab
i love crabs :0

pm me where youre from

Cap'n 1time
January 11th, 2007, 23:06
And as a side note, compiling everything in Gentoo is how I set up my Linux boxes. I'd like to think I'm not some Linux zealot... I just like to make sure everything is tweaked to my liking when I'm working with a Linux distro that allows that.

Perhaps that was a bad example.. I think its silly though. I just think its not always reasonable to compile every little detail. I always like the idea of compiling gcc with an older version of gcc though...

NoQuarter
February 3rd, 2007, 08:24
Windows and slackware on the dual booting laptop.
Beryl is cool to look at too bad I can't use it :(

quzar
February 3rd, 2007, 08:31
Perhaps that was a bad example.. I think its silly though. I just think its not always reasonable to compile every little detail. I always like the idea of compiling gcc with an older version of gcc though...

They actually have a thing where a proper stable release is compiled with as a third generational compile. Use the old compile to compile a version, then compile the release binaries with that.

S34MU5
February 3rd, 2007, 08:45
Ubuntu
Windows XP Media center SP2
And I have a free upgrade to Vista but I cant be bothered.

the_eternal_dark
February 3rd, 2007, 20:58
Waiting on Fedora 7....

pt9087
February 3rd, 2007, 21:59
Is Vista any good?

Shrygue
February 3rd, 2007, 22:06
I choose Windows Vista, although I've only used the pre-release versions of it. I will get the final release of the full Ultimate Edition package when I have saved up enough money for it.

the_eternal_dark
February 3rd, 2007, 22:11
Is Vista any good?

From what I've heard, no. DRM is a pain in the ass for everyone (unless it's already been fixed).

jonezybaby
February 3rd, 2007, 22:21
XP, havent tried vista yet so ya know.....

the_eternal_dark
February 3rd, 2007, 22:38
XP, havent tried vista yet so ya know.....

My stepdad has Vista, so I've messed with it a little bit. From what I've seen, it's still just Windows. He said he's had problems getting programs running because of the DRM crap that is employed.

SSaxdude
February 3rd, 2007, 23:35
I use Windows XP Home Edition. Mac and Linux don't have enough stuff for them, that's why I like Windows.

the_eternal_dark
February 4th, 2007, 00:58
I use Windows XP Home Edition. Mac and Linux don't have enough stuff for them, that's why I like Windows.

Not many people realize, thought, that Mac OS-X and Linux (various distros) are actually superior to Windows in terms of stability. Microsoft has a monopoly and most basic home users see that MS has a big market, which translates that they must be better than the rest, resulting in the reason for more stuff for windows than the other 2.

VampDude
February 5th, 2007, 09:46
Fully [user] Customized Win XP :D