PDA

View Full Version : A Campaign To Stop The Fanboyism

scrabbus
April 3rd, 2005, 11:31
Ok people, some of you know me, some of you dont. Those who do know that I absolutely abhor the latest wave of Fanboys, whether they be sega, nintendo, microsoft or Sony. I, as I believe the majority of people in here are TRUE fans of videogames. I've made the same statements so many times I really cant be bothered to make them again. I would like to see some new rules on the subject, preventing the use of Fanboy rhetoric, and seeing bans handed out to those who continually espouse the ugly bias I have witnessed in here. I (and I'm sure many others) believe that this forum is different than ALL of the Dreamcast and videogames forums out there today. While I have seen the most pathetic abuse and ill informed bias in other forums, I had hoped I wouldnt see it here, but slowly its rearing its ugly head. I find it not too surprising that it seems to eminate from one particular area in here, psp forum anyone??? Now I know that Wraggster is a HUGE games fan, he set the sub-forum up to celebrate a nice spanky new handheld, but alas its been hijacked by a few members, a few members who I have noticed frequent a certain Dreamcast Warez forum that shall remain nameless. I am very passionate about this subject, videogames are more than just a hobby or an idle pastime. I think its about time we all got together on this to prevent this GREAT, Freindly forum degrading into the aforementioned warez site. SO PLEASE PEOPLE LETS WORK TOGETHER TO STAMP THIS OUT, I thank you all in advance.:cool:

Darksaviour69
April 3rd, 2005, 15:10
while we won't ban someone for being a fan boy, people will (and have been) banned for flameing or stupid posts. we try to monitor all posts in the forum, but it is getting harder as traffic increases, but you can help by reporting "bad" posts by using the "report bad post" feature (the button with ! beside the computer)
<------here
btw, alot of bad post r deleted by us that u never see, cause we r so dam good ;)

scrabbus
April 3rd, 2005, 18:18
hehehehe, I know man, but that PSP forum is getting like a rabid dog with big fleas

MetaFox
April 3rd, 2005, 18:56
That always happens when a console is an underdog unfortunately. The fanboys always feel that they have to belittle the top dog to make themselves feel better about their choice of supporting the underdog.

Just ignore it. If it gets too bad, it will be deleted or edited - as has the topic that started your "campaign".

scrabbus
April 3rd, 2005, 19:21
What handeld do you personally feel is the top dog, I mean I already have a fair idea because I follow the Business end of gaming a great deal, but I dare'nt say because I WILL get accused of bias.I know the "campaign" bit was just to get some attention hehehehe. On a more serious note though it does make the forum more like other forums. I love this forum the majority of people in here are serious gamers, just let down by idiots. Thanks for the support anyway.

ptr.exe
April 3rd, 2005, 20:39
I (and I'm sure many others) believe that this forum is different than ALL of the Dreamcast and videogames forums out there today

Completely agree, ive been meaning to say this for a while but this forum is very differant to all others i go on, theres a more laid back sort of feel with very few arguements or even disagreements. Would be a shame for this atmosphere to be ruined by fanboy-ism.

scrabbus
April 4th, 2005, 08:52
I have just found it easier to stay away from the PSP forum its just like a little schoolyard, that and theres a couple of DCFORUMS Warez monkeys in there ptr!!
I just couldnt be bothered with the same old whining, oh and yes alegedly I'm biased towards nintendo because I DARED to question the PSP, go figure? The fact that I own Sony consoles has little to do with me being a fanboy!!! Makes me laugh but you know what they are like!!!

Mental2k
April 4th, 2005, 11:08
But you have to expect a certain amount of DC/Sega fanboyism on a DC forum really. But I know what u mean scrabbus. The PSP forum, is getting bitchy, mods should come down with an iron rod on them. Go on DS69 and, kick some ass.

scrabbus
April 4th, 2005, 16:38
Thanks, to be honest I never expected to get any support on this, but I am really pleased that I have. I really have tried to remain objective 3 years of politics does that!!!
It just seems that no matter how humourous I tried to make my posts someone bit back like a rabbid raccoon, I can state for the record here and now I am not in the least bit biased towards any company, I just love videogames!! I have already stated that I will no longer frequent the PSP area of the forum, damn all I said was that I was still not convinced about the PSP, neither am I convinced by the DS, they just havnt grabbed me like the GB and the GBA, but hey its early days right?? At this moment in time anything for a quiet life man!!! Peace

ptr.exe
April 4th, 2005, 17:18
But you have to expect a certain amount of DC/Sega fanboyism on a DC forum really.

There's nothing wrong with prefering one company over another, personally i prefer Nintendo over Sony and yet even with my owning of Sony consoles, that opinon still makes me a fanboy.

On the official Nintendo forums and official Sony forums you cannot move for people caling you a fanboy. I said I prefer the GC controller for TimeSplitters and was immediately flamed for being a so called fanboy. It's getting out of hand, every gaming forum on the net has been plagued by those that will outright scream that one company is better at taking your money for games than the other, and those that will call any display of an opinion fanboy-ism.

I for one am sick of it. PSP vs. DS have fueled so much of this.

scrabbus
April 4th, 2005, 22:24
Absolutely true, but I also have a GC and they dont mind telling me how Crap it is, or how all Nintendo games are for kids. I personally just have a love for playing games, really!! I absolutely adore the GTA serious, its a very good franchise, but I also love games like Animal Crossing, and especially ZELDA. I love F-zero et al, but I adore GT4, damn I could go on all night. Fanboy's, hmmmm....I just dont get them.

ptr.exe
April 5th, 2005, 15:48
off topic: Really GT4? i found it a huge dissapointment and im trading it in, at a profit as i only payed £13 for it :)

on topic: Were all probably gonna have to put up with fanboys from now on they seem to be here to stay, although they were always here just never this bad and not called fanboys :P

Darksaviour69
April 5th, 2005, 16:08
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=142

ptr.exe
April 5th, 2005, 17:47
funny and slightly disturbing, and yet so appropriate, great find! :D

scrabbus
April 5th, 2005, 20:49
hehehehe, love it. But there you go Ptr. you dont berate me for having a shite game, see your not bothered!! Thats the difference, we could never be fanboys because even though we differ slightly in our choice of games, we dont argue about which is best or which machine is best etc, thanks for the support anyway, BUT is it the best support or is someone elses support better because it contains elements of emotion in it? heheheheh

Mental2k
April 5th, 2005, 23:07
GT4, didn't inspire me to get a PS2, but then i'm just waiting for forza, it looks the shiznit.

As for fanboy-ism, think of the stick i got for havin a saturn!

Darksaviour69
April 6th, 2005, 11:40
Saturn Rocks!

scrabbus
April 6th, 2005, 12:04
The saturn was the dogs danglers mate, it was so amazing at 2-d, ahhhh guardian heroes....Anyone who reckons the Saturn was a bad machine needs a mental irrigation!!

Darksaviour69
April 6th, 2005, 12:26
here, you guy can do me a favour
http://www.mobygames.com/stats/top_games/k,best:5fby:5fplatform/ssid,23/

it annoys me that they are the only 2 games in the saturn top ten, the problem is each game needs 10 votes to get in to the top 10, so sign up and get voting....guardian heroes should be there!

also rez is only has a score of 3.7, and its one of my top 5 fav game of all time

ptr.exe
April 6th, 2005, 13:20
Wish I could afford Rez..... :(

*kick myself for being sensible and not spending £50 on an old game*

Darksaviour69
April 6th, 2005, 15:34
i got it on ebay for £6, but it was promo version, still the same as the fill version

Mental2k
April 6th, 2005, 17:35
I know it rocked but all the PSX guys reckoned i was jus a fanboy. Deffo go and vote scrabbus, some mighty games that should be in there!

ptr.exe
April 6th, 2005, 19:29
i got it on ebay for £6, but it was promo version, still the same as the fill version

a while a go i got a working DC off eBay for £6 and you called me a lucky git, Rez for £6 though is in a whole other world of luck. lucky git.

Reminds me a while a go i saw a DreamEye (similar to EyeToy but for DC Japan only VERY rare) with 3 mins to go and no bids with a 99p start and no reserve, i couldnt believe my luck, tried to log in and bid and my crappy 56k dial up failed and had to dial up again by the time i logged in the auction had ended with no bids. It was mint and i missed it. so much rage... >:(

Mental2k
April 6th, 2005, 21:28
or the gp32 that went for £56, but i was skint so couldnt buy

scrabbus
April 6th, 2005, 23:02
I have been attacked via pm, its a very wierd, spooky and silly thing to do by the person who has done it, and may I state for the record I have no idea what this guy is on, but hey thats life I suppose!!! I cant name anyone at this moment in time, but its none of the above!!! I have sent the mods the entire pm, but you know after a hard day, these insults just arent worth the hassle anymore, I'm just tired of all the nastiness really...Its a shame but I now feel a bit threatened, sorry guys , I think Ive just about had it!!:( :( :(

Darksaviour69
April 7th, 2005, 11:16
you where right to report it, scrabbus. we will deal with it... but u did not send it to me

Mental2k
April 7th, 2005, 12:57
I guess this forum has grown a lot recently, and witht he increased number of members we're getting an increased number of assholes.We havent really had many since Hola was banned.

scrabbus
April 8th, 2005, 14:10
i dont want anyone banned, its just not worth it, but thanks anyway, just one of those things really!!! I've had a rough time lately so it was unwanted crap!!! that and pal patcher doesnt work!!! gets on my noyves!!!!

Mental2k
April 8th, 2005, 16:50
Wasnt sayin to ban them. Hola was just a gimp, i think he was someone else who had re-regestered having been banned once already.

Darksaviour69
April 8th, 2005, 16:54
yes he was clessy

FrierTuck
April 8th, 2005, 21:27
i really dont know much about fanboys except for an article i read in a gamer magazine. Still, i dont prefer one brand, i buy a system for a game, not agame for a system, i will play anything. come to think of it, a group of fanboys sit at a table right behind mine at lunch and all they ever talk about is Halo Online, For two years, it was XBOX this and XBOX that. It was horrible. finnaly, this is a multi console forum, so fans of all consoles are drawn here,causing all sorts of people to post and talk. i dont think people should value one system over thee others, but not everyone thinks that, they think one system is the best. Thus they get into argueements and fights with other posters. Scrabbusm is right, people who find the time to insult other people because they dont like only one system are really not worth anything to this forum and should be banned.

Mental2k
April 9th, 2005, 12:47
FrierTuck scabbus specifically said they should not be banned. THerres also nothing wrong with favouring one machine over another. The problem is that when the start writing off other people's views soley on the basis that it is not their own beleif is wrong, and is what should be cracked down on.

ptr.exe
April 9th, 2005, 20:28
should be cracked down on

But how would mods do that? it's not fair to ban someone for being bias.

FrierTuck
April 9th, 2005, 22:52
sorry, i must have missread, i guess your right though, banning is extreme, maybe just temporary suspension

Mental2k
April 10th, 2005, 15:11
But how would mods do that? it's not fair to ban someone for being bias.

I have no problem with a slight bias or in favour of one machine, its when they point blank refuse to listen to another person's point of view, or say it's wrong and cant justify why its wrong. Eg.

"Saturn is a better machine than PSX"

"No its not cause sony make psx and more people bought them so PSX must be better"

"But the saturn was better for 2D games, look at SF v Xmen"

"That came out on PSX as well"

"yeah but it didnt have as many features you couldnt even character swap during rounds"

"So? PSX is better than saturn"

Is the kind of thing that annoys me.

I also dont want them banned, i meant by cacking down that mods should give a little PM in the ear of those who persistantly do it, to warn them, if they keep on doin it after a few PMs then suspend them, if they continue after suspension then maybe ban them if they are obnoxious.

Darksaviour69
April 11th, 2005, 11:22
i don't really mind fan-boys, but i don't stand flaming! and that what happens..... eg. saturn is better than psx
no psx rules.... your ma!

i don't like that.......btw clearly the saturn rules look at Duke Nukem and Quake

Mental2k
April 11th, 2005, 11:29
lobotomy were the kings of 3d on the saturn. Hexen wasnt bad either. "your ma" tehe, we say that a lot.

scrabbus
April 13th, 2005, 23:08
Have you guys been in the PSP forum recently, you can just SMELL all that teenage angst from here PEEEEEEEEEEEW!!!!!!!!!!!!

scrabbus
April 13th, 2005, 23:09
Smells like teen spite!!!!

Mental2k
April 13th, 2005, 23:10
bah kill the lot of them;) (j/k in case anyone takes it that i actually mean that)

Devlin
April 14th, 2005, 23:42
Fanboys? i don't really care as long as the keep the flames low and the topic at hand!

Jealousy is for the weak.

MetaFox
April 15th, 2005, 03:39
This topic has gone long past it's purpose.

Locked.