PDA

View Full Version : Red Steel Review

ICE
January 10th, 2007, 01:07
ok so i figure there's a lot of people out there with a wii who want to try out a fps. right now you got 3 choices: Far Cry, CoD, and Red Steel. i will be reviewing the latter.

The Story
your a guy who's girlfriend gets kidnapped and guess what. you gotta save her and for some reason you gotta protect some sword along the way.. weird right??

The Graphics
graphics would be really solid last-gen but compared to current-gen id give it a passing grade of around a 7. it really inst as bad as what people keep saying unless you're a nit-picker.

The Game play
this is where it gets good. at first it will seem like simply a generic shooter with a new control scheme and it is at first. then they give you a nifty little thing called "Focus Mode". thats where the fun is for a while at least.. it lets you, momentarily, pause everything and "tag" whatever you want. then when you exit focus mode everything you tagged gets shot. you can get some easy head shots or even shoot people's guns out of their hands causing them to surrender.

The Sound
the people say the same things over and over.... gets real annoying hearing "PUNK!!!" over and over.. nothing else really stands out besides the wii-mote making noises when you reload and crap..

Lasting Appeal
the game itself isn't real long but it does have multi player thats pretty darn fun so you'll keep playing it for awhile.

Presentation
lastly presentation. its got a stylish look to it and uses the pointer well. you have to drag and drop stuff to go into it which is cool at first but gets old real quick.

ok so in conclusion id give it an overall of 7.0 right there in the C-D range.

jangosolo
January 10th, 2007, 10:40
I think its very good myself...

hp1
January 10th, 2007, 12:34
I always think that the sign of a good FPS game is when you dont mind replaying levels when you die. I have to admit that i've enjoyed all of the levels. THe sword play i didnt like at first but as you get better and develop combos, its quite satisfying. Biggest gripe would be the grenades. why you have to point the remote is beyond me, it should just go which ever way you're facing. Its impossible to throw then accurately.

Kamon
January 10th, 2007, 15:00
I LOVE it and it looks amazing for console without high-def

ICE
January 11th, 2007, 03:53
accurate review??

woods05
January 12th, 2007, 07:30
Although this was a good review, I think Redsteel is better than as portrayed in this review. Although, I have only played the multiplayer games. I haven't really expirenced the main part of the game [story mode].

Wolf_Hook
January 13th, 2007, 21:16
Bought Red Steel a few days ago and I have read a lot of mixed reviews.

I am not 100% on it, I was a bit disappointed with the graphics overall and I do understand that the Wii was never meant to be a huge spec system. I guess I just didn't really know what to expect in that department.

What I do like with the game is the music and the enemy AI. I don't think I have played a FPS game with AI such as this one. The guys actually walk around objects to get a better shot at you which is novel since most FPS games will have the enemy ducking behind the same piece of furniture in a pattern so you can set your watch by him.

On that same note though I have noticed that at certain times like room transitions I have caught these same blokes running on the spot as if entering the room and then standing there oblivious to me aiming a shotgun to their head.

I haven't really got into it enough to comment on the sword play as yet but so far it seems OK and reasonably responsive, I don't think it is a major selling point of the game though as advertised, give me a sniper rifle and plenty of ammo and I am happy.

One thing that does bother me though and that is how Red Steel and Far Cry were both produced by Ubisoft but no information was shared by the two teams. I am not naive enough to believe that both teams were sat in the same office swapping jokes and drinking coffee but there is such a huge gap between the two, did it not occur to anyone to at least have a phone conference and swap some ideas? Far Cry is just plain shocking! I can't remember being that disappointed with a game.