PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Steve Jobs "Trash-Talks" PSP

wraggster
January 10th, 2007, 18:27
via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/steve-jobs/apples-steve-jobs-trashtalks-psp-227563.php)

So, the iPhone is coming. If you are American, soon. For those living in other countries (like me), you'll have to wait longer (like me). The phone's portable game possibilities once again stir up talk of Apple expanding further into the market. Apple honcho Steve Jobs seems to be adding his two cents as well. From Time:

All technologists believe their products are better than other people's, or at least they say they do, but Jobs believes it a little more than most. In the hours we spent talking about the iPhone, Jobs trash-talked the Treo, the BlackJack, the Sony PSP and the Sony Mylo ("just garbage compared to this"), Windows Vista ("It's just a copy of an old version of Mac OSX") and of course Microsoft's would-be iPod killer, Zune.
Trash-talking the PSP certainly points to Apple's interest in gaming. But, what does that statement really mean? And more importantly, when will Steve Jobs start wearing something besides black sweaters? I mean, come on.

more info (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1575410-2,00.html)

x-zero
January 10th, 2007, 18:38
They will cost about $499 4GB and $599 8GB it looks very inexpensive dont you think wraggster??

PSP 101
January 10th, 2007, 18:59
It is as much as a PS3. I think I will wait on the Iphone.

Tetris999
January 10th, 2007, 19:00
screw appple theryre i pod may be good, but ive seen mp3 players that have twice the more featurs OF an ipod plus therye less!

F9zDark
January 10th, 2007, 19:13
Sounds cool to me, except the damned price tag. However, how do you play games on it?

The one interesting feature is that it comes with MAC OSX, allowing you to do virtually anything with it.

But come on, a PSP, Zune, BlackJack and Treo killer? It won't hold a candle to the PSP in terms of gaming.

I'd like to see the PSP adopt a USB cellphone antenna and VoIP. Then what would Apple have? A 599 dollar, nicely designed piece of shit.

Rorin
January 10th, 2007, 19:39
i Don't see how this even relates to a psp. Its a touchscreen phone with email, internet and music. That Doesn't even play games at least none that would ever compare to even the worst psp game.

Besides its cingular. nuff said.

Jonesyxxiv
January 10th, 2007, 19:41
man that guy is a retard for too many reasons for me to list now.

PSPCulture
January 10th, 2007, 19:43
Apple is all about marketing. They're products are ok, but marketing plays a huge part of that, and that includes slagging off the competition.

Unless they manage to do something about the poor battery life the iPod is plauged with, I would imagine with a screen the size of the iPhone, it'll be dead within hours of being used. Personally, I prefer a phone to work as a phone first, multimedia device second, and if its battery doesn't last for more than 10 to 12 hours, its going to be really handicapped for anyone wanting to use it as a phone during the business day.

I'd imagine it'll be a real target for thieves as well, given the fuss thats been made over iPods being nicked and people being warned to change the headphones to a colour other than white so they don't standout. Imagine flipping out your £450 iPhone while out and about - may as well have 'look at me, I want to be mugged' written all over you. At least with my pretty standard phone I can use it in public without having to hide in the toilets for fear of being robbed.

And no, I don't tend to walk the streets with my PSP glued to my ear, so people don't tend to know I've got one when I'm out and about.

scottyboynow
January 10th, 2007, 19:44
Kill,Kill,Kill Apple!!!

scottyboynow
January 10th, 2007, 19:52
£260 For 4GB for a phone like that though!

PsychoSync
January 10th, 2007, 20:26
It sure looks good, have you seen the videos on apple.com/iphone? Just a tad too expensive. It has a higher resolution than the PSP : 480x320.

I would really like to know what cpu, memory, gpu it has...

Basil Zero
January 10th, 2007, 20:29
i think i'll take my psp over an ipod anyday, music, videos, and GAMES.

They can keep their 600 dollar phone, i'm saving that money on my future ps3.

Take that Steve Jobs!

fated.existence
January 10th, 2007, 20:34
I think this is hilarious. He bad mouths the PSP one of the most awaited next gen gaming facilitys in the world. And the I Phone doesnt even have any games. I think if it had any game designers making games for it "Jobs" would have dropped them.

I like what he said to the audience ist's an I pod and a Phone etc....

To be honest I have an I Pod and a Phone and a PSP And I happy with what I have, I don't carry all three around with me at anyone time.

Plus he launches it this year, when people will be getting ready to spend there money(UK) on the PS3.

I personaly am not buying one, the PS3 I mean, Ive got other things to think of. Like the laptop I saving for and the Anime Convention costume Ive got to pay for.

But in anycase Steve Job's can't say shit for PSP. All the major gaming people are on board even if they werent in the beggining.

zevende
January 10th, 2007, 21:07
The point we're all forgetting here is that Apple's Steve Jobs is a ***.

baracki96
January 10th, 2007, 21:22
He trashed talked Zunes AND Psps?! Steve Jobs no longer has my respect. Apple as a company, however, I still think is great (though I don't own so much as an Apple sticker)

Wally
January 10th, 2007, 21:43
Uhhmm Excuse me??

Many users have been ranting about this phone in the mac community for months... Asking a lot about it that we didnt know.. Many people didnt believe it was coming at all..

IN theory steve jobs is assuming the PSP hasnt been hacked or modified in anyway. I agree with him, its a total waste of money without some sort of user hacks. I still have some crazy assumptions that nintendo and apple are working together.. Give or take steve jobs has done a lot of great things for us personally such as the iPod.. If we didnt have the iPod then everyones MP3 player would be crashing (Microsoft Zune *cough*). You people are always complaining about sony not doing waht you want and Apple just comes out of nowhere with a solution for a small affordable computer in a phone. Oh and on those pricing things, the PSP did not come with a huge memory stick to play with and still doesnt. 4gb HDD in a phone, thats a dream

Steve Jobs only wears the same shirts over and over because he is vegan and it always fits into any scenario

You people always judge something before its even released into the wild... Thats a silly thing to do.

Vega
January 10th, 2007, 21:47
Meh, never was a big Apple fan anyways. No Mac, No iPod, and I certainly wont spend such a ridiculous amount of money on a phone.

woods05
January 10th, 2007, 22:01
They will cost about $499 4GB and $599 8GB it looks very inexpensive dont you think wraggster??

You'd have to be rich and/or stupid to get an iPhone.

Shadowblind
January 10th, 2007, 22:03
Meh, iPhone...Apple should stick to iPods. iPhone is an insult to good cell phones.

Dave the Rave
January 10th, 2007, 22:20
Before you slate Jobs, take a look at the news story that was posted immediately after this one.

r2works
January 10th, 2007, 22:53
well the phone is more of a PDA then a MP3 player/Phone. And Apple is the only company that continues to innovate while other companies copy. The phone isn't even released let, so it would be a little unfair to judge it off future gaming potential. And from what I remember Steve Jobs has quite a historical background in videogames, so if Apple is really trying to enter the gaming market, it will be greatly recognized just as the MP3 market was. Apple knows the market they are aiming for (business/designers/young adults who are casual gamers). So dont expect this to be direct competition to any console or portable gaming device.

pt9087
January 10th, 2007, 23:37
I will just stick to my beautiful PsP thanks!

SSaxdude
January 10th, 2007, 23:46
iPod, the mp3 player for conformists.
I actually traded in my iPod in for a PSP (and I had the iPod for only a month.)
I'll take my 3.03 OE-B any day.

Hungry Horace
January 10th, 2007, 23:56
i'd get an iphone if they were 1/4 of the price and 60 gig like my video ipod.... but it cant compete with the PSP for gaming, there's no flipping d-pad for a start!!

iPod, the mp3 player for conformists.
I actually traded in my iPod in for a PSP (and I had the iPod for only a month.)
I'll take my 3.03 OE-B any day.

sorry mate, but that's bull.

the iPod video is much better at the task of video playback than the PSP, even with a smaller screen... it has a much better capacity and video-output for a start!

emuking
January 11th, 2007, 00:08
all of you are fanboys, how shameful is that

Vega
January 11th, 2007, 00:13
Last I checked, Phones were for communicating. Last I checked, PSP is for gaming . . . er.. wait... no...

Chuthbert
January 11th, 2007, 00:14
I don't own an MP3 player and if I ever decided to buy one, I sure as hell wouldn't get an overexpensive piece of designer crap like an IPod.

I don't have a mobile either. I won't get an IPhone either. In fact, this is the first I've ever heard of it.

Hungry Horace
January 11th, 2007, 00:43
I don't own an MP3 player and if I ever decided to buy one, I sure as hell wouldn't get an overexpensive piece of designer crap like an IPod.

hmm.. looks good, sounds good, bags of functions, good support, reliable... yes, what a piece of designer crap that is. :rolleyes:

I don't have a mobile either. I won't get an IPhone either. In fact, this is the first I've ever heard of it.

:rofl: it sounds like you trap yourself in your basement away from the world...

i dont *like* having a mobile (it's another thing you have to keep an eye on) and although the one i have is pretty lame, i wont change it atm because its near-as unbreakable.... the thing is however a necessity if you ever intend to do -anything- that involves interacting with other human beings.

Chuthbert
January 11th, 2007, 00:48
i dont *like* having a mobile (it's another thing you have to keep an eye on) and although the one i have is pretty lame, i wont change it atm because its near-as unbreakable.... the thing is however a necessity if you ever intend to do -anything- that involves interacting with other human beings.
I didn't say I don't want/need a mobile phone. I said I don't want/need a frigging IPhone. Try reading before you start making cocky comments. I'm comparing practicallity with economic value.

EDIT: I noticed I worded my original post strangely. What I meant to say is that I currently don't have a mobile phone but I will likely get one in the future. However when I do I sure as hell won't be getting an IPhone.

I still think IPods are overrated though.

acn010
January 11th, 2007, 00:55
its expensive!!!!!!!!!!
ill wait a year for the phone :)

eLAy12
January 11th, 2007, 01:01
I just don't understand all the hate toward the iphone. It is a good piece of hardware. Sure it lacks, but isn't this a good step into the future? I meen many say that all the psp is missing is the phone add on now that the camera and gps were released. The iphone is the next step but it is not a replacement of the psp. i think everyone needed this release, like stated earlier, apple brings it out and others just copy. well, that is not necessarilly bad. If we had nothing to copy in the first place then how would the psp come to be? the psp itself was an answer to the long dominated gameboy and ipod fused. the psp was the past iphone that most are hating right now. a year or two back would the same people be hating on the psp? cause its the same thing!

Chuthbert
January 11th, 2007, 01:26
I don't hate the iPhone or the iPod to be honest. I just hate it when successful business people get really cocky. Sort of like fanboys: the more they promote how 'superior' their game is in a profoundly stupid or cocky manner, the more it makes me dislike said game. Promoting your product just by bashing all competitors is just childish and un-professional.

Joe88
January 11th, 2007, 05:15
apple first mistake was going with the 2nd to worse cell phone service company out there cingular.
And there trying to go against verizons service.

Id like to see the day when people are willing to buy an iphone over a PS3 :rofl:

zidanerick
January 11th, 2007, 05:30
Id like to see the day when people are willing to buy an iphone over a PS3 :rofl:

Well happy day, today is that day because i will be buying an iPhone and NOT a ps3, due to the fact that sony doesn't deserve my money with the stunts they pulled last year, yes i will eventually get one but not until final fantasy comes out for it and even then i may reconsider.

Nookadum
January 11th, 2007, 16:27
Well, hopefully it'll be better than Nokia's current crap line-up. :P The N91 (4GB & 8GB) is priced the same, and still hangs (e.g. freezes) like a piece of shit with firmware.

EDIT: Holy shit, I checked out Apple's website on the iPhone and it really looks snazzy. Looks like I rather use this to play MP4s (audio and video) than the PSP if the 8GB model works fine. That and the interface is sexy.