PDA

View Full Version : Sony VP On Those Stacks Of Consoles

wraggster
January 10th, 2007, 18:29
via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/business/sony-vp-on-those-stacks-of-consoles-227588.php)

Numbers, numbers, numbers. Stacks of unsold PS3s in America and Japan don't point as high sales as Sony was hoping for (though, we still think they did alright). SCEA's Senior VP of Marketing Peter Dille states:

...what we do pay attention to is that month in, month out, the PlayStation 2 continues to outsell Xbox 360. I think you see the consumers voting with their wallets on the PlayStation brand. But also, if people want to go out and buy a 360, their stacked pretty high at retail and yet, six-year-old technology is outselling it. I also think there's another trend going on. Every Sunday in the paper, there's a new deal with a free controller or a free game or $100 off all discounting the 360. I don't think you take those measures if you're selling as expected.
Good points, but when did who's selling more turn into who's selling worse?

F9zDark
January 10th, 2007, 19:00
Sony should really make a bundle package and sell it at a loss; the more people with PS3s the better.

They can market it as the Coop pack (or Multiplay pack)

1 PS3 premium
1 Controller
1 Resistance: Fall of Man

Sell it for 600 USD; yeah Sony will be losing out on more money, but at least they are getting them sold; the pack should be sold for a 3 month clip. That'll more than get those units out the door and would give many consumers an incentive to buy the PS3, and would give the Europeans an incentive also, who have shit on by Sony.

As I said, the loss would be greater, but they make money on games, peripherals, etc. I cannot see how it would be a bad idea.