PDA

View Full Version : Wii - Drivechip for Wii working - hello xenoWii?

phoebus
January 10th, 2007, 19:16
modrobert at eurasia.nu (http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1848) writes: "I just got word that the team behind the successful xenoGC and later xenoGC 2.0 now have a working drivechip for Wii which should be released soon. No further info available at the moment, not even a name, but my guess is xenoWii. ;)"

Nymfoe
January 10th, 2007, 21:02
Nice !! Hope this is real :)

SwordOfZork
January 10th, 2007, 22:10
Drive chip? Is this like a modchip for booting homebrew and pirated/back-up games?

BlueCrab
January 10th, 2007, 23:43
Its for booting pirated/backup games only. This is horrible news in my book.

The entire content of a Wii disc is encrypted, and the only way to get the drive to read the disc is if it is encrypted. Pirated discs simply copy things byte-for-byte, so they are still encrypted. Homebrew however cannot be encrypted without Nintendo's private key. So, homebrew for the Wii is still a ways off.

the_eternal_dark
January 11th, 2007, 15:16
Its for booting pirated/backup games only. This is horrible news in my book.

The entire content of a Wii disc is encrypted, and the only way to get the drive to read the disc is if it is encrypted. Pirated discs simply copy things byte-for-byte, so they are still encrypted. Homebrew however cannot be encrypted without Nintendo's private key. So, homebrew for the Wii is still a ways off.

I completely agree.

I also don't see this being on the market long as Nintendo will have a foot in the company's ass if they put it out. Also, I hope no one uses the "it doesn't have the illegal bios" defense, because, who are you kidding, you cheap b*stards.