PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts Looks To Jack Thompson for Game Law

wraggster
January 10th, 2007, 20:52
via /. (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/10/1844255)

Game Politics is carrying the news that the state of Massachusetts is asking Jack Thompson for help in drafting a piece of videogaming related legislation. The bill aims to block minors from purchasing games which fall under one of these categories:

"Depicts violence in a manner patently offensive to prevailing standards in the adult community, so as to appeal predominantly to the morbid interest in violence of minors. Is patently contrary to prevailing standards of adults in the county where the offense was committed as to suitable material for such minors. Lacks serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value for minors."
The bill has strong backing in the state, from mayors all the way up to state senators.

Looks like the uninformed are telling gamers how to play again

Vega
January 10th, 2007, 21:17
Just what the gaming world needs eh?
Jack Thompson.... first its help... then what? lol. Jack is a total ass,

Veskgar
January 10th, 2007, 21:31
This definitely gets me angry. Nothing will ever keep kids away from video games. NOTHING. Jack old boy comes from a different era.

Jack was probably lucky if he had a 13" round black & white tube TV growing up. SO it is obvious it is part jealousy and ignorance about today's entertainment technology.

The worst thing about this is that I am a native of Massachusetts and Massachusetts is where America started out. Also as an American this is just bull$hit waste of tax dollars.

America needs to focus on putting the plug on illegal immigration and not video games of all things.

What a joke.

I_hate_firmware
January 10th, 2007, 22:06
Excuse my french but SHIT! Im from Massachusetts and that son of a bitch is gonna come here to try to ban games. That is a violation of the first amendment rights!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BelmontSlayer
January 10th, 2007, 22:16
"Lacks serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value for minors."

That would block 3/4 of all games from being sold to minors. Thompson needs to go preach somewhere else...America hates him.

jimmi
January 10th, 2007, 22:17
gotta loooooooove europe (minus england that place scares the sugarhoneyicedtea outta me)

Jonesyxxiv
January 10th, 2007, 22:20
Excuse my french but SHIT! Im from Massachusetts and that son of a bitch is gonna come here to try to ban games. That is a violation of the first amendment rights!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Im from MA also and I agree completly.

F9zDark
January 10th, 2007, 22:26
WOW!

Of all people on earth they pick the most biased, least educated piece of ****ing shit? Hell they should simply look at his record and see why he shouldn't be allowed to practice law.

Why the stupid **** still is, is completely beyond me.

Jonesyxxiv
January 10th, 2007, 22:29
WOW!

Of all people on earth they pick the most biased, least educated piece of ****ing shit? Hell they should simply look at his record and see why he shouldn't be allowed to practice law.

Why the stupid **** still is, is completely beyond me.

Yeah hes such an asshole.

Mister Klownes
January 10th, 2007, 23:33
Oh no....that's the last thing ol' Jackie Boy needs, something to inflate his scenile ego.

pt9087
January 10th, 2007, 23:45
Someone needs to grab a Thomson and shoot that fu**er

Vega
January 11th, 2007, 00:29
Jack Thompson is f*cking lame as hell. Like Veskgar said, you guys in MA (and indeed all of the US) have more serious problems to worry about, just like all of us.

This dipsh*t Thompson MAKES A LIVING and PROFITS IN SOME SHAPE OR FORM by slating video games. If it werent for games with adult content, that dumbass f*ck would be out of a job. He should f*cking thank Rockstar etc

I'd gladly slap him about abit then tie him to a chair and make him watch me and some random 14 year old kid play GTA and Manhunt for a few days until the wanker died from panic.

I_hate_firmware
January 11th, 2007, 02:44
This may sound weird, but i honestly think someone should kill him. Lol.

Veskgar
January 11th, 2007, 02:46
Wow, lots of fellow Massachusetts brethren here. I'm orignally from Salem with the witches.

Anyone in politics just needs to look at the numbers. The Video Game industry is a multi-billion dollar industry with an increase forecasted for 2007.

I don't get it. Politicians are usually about the $$$ before the interest of the public. This guy obviously has his own agenda for his own selfish 15 minutes of fame. Maybe this guy thinks he will be elected president someday.

LOSER!!

BelmontSlayer
January 11th, 2007, 04:41
The US government has been taking away so many liberties recently, that soon we will be no better than full democracy. They need to stop restricting the sales of different products. They're already putting warning labels on comic books for "explicit content".

"He who gives up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserves niether liberty nor safety."

Destroyer699
January 11th, 2007, 04:56
All I can say is...fúck.

Poor-Kingz
January 11th, 2007, 05:19
Yes, this sucks for us. This is also gonna force 16 year-olds who want to buy a game to turn to ISOs.

the_eternal_dark
January 11th, 2007, 14:18
The US government has been taking away so many liberties recently, that soon we will be no better than full democracy. They need to stop restricting the sales of different products. They're already putting warning labels on comic books for "explicit content".

It's not just media sales they are restricting or moderating, look at the Patriot Act. I'll be moving away from here in the next few years, but to where, I have no idea..

Mr. Shizzy
January 11th, 2007, 16:19
This may sound weird, but i honestly think someone should kill him. Lol.

Dude, don't say that... That's exactly the kind of crap Jack Thompson fuels his fire from. :(

IMHO - Jack Thompson is a idiot. And there is no way this egotistical maniac should still be practicing law. Just sit back, Jack is such a dumb a$$ that he will surley cause the demise of his own career. :rolleyes: