PDA

View Full Version : Pal Wii owners seeing update

wraggster
January 10th, 2007, 21:27
via gonintendo (http://gonintendo.com/?p=11470)

PAL Wii owners sitting down (or should I say standing?!) for some game time are being greeted with a Wii update. This update appears to bring the Wii from version 2.0 to 2.1. As of posting this story, there is no such update in the US. That may change by the time I wake up! So far, no one can figure out just what the update does. There are a number of small issues that the update could be targeted at. Perhaps we will hear from Nintendo on this subject later in the day. Thanks to Feanor & Vooks for the heads up!

Heres whats new:

The weather channel says that it needs connect 24/7 after I only disabled ’standby internet’.
The video output stays on with RGB cables in ‘orange mode’. This means that any other signal on de video channel(s) on the TV are suppressed.

SwordOfZork
January 10th, 2007, 22:05
I hope this isn't a fix for the Opera exploits.

Accordion
January 10th, 2007, 22:11

i think that would require the user to re-download the browser, but i dont know for sure, and i havent downloaded it yet but i have read comments that the update takes a long time...so maybe it IS replacing the browser???

Jay_PaRaDoX
January 10th, 2007, 22:27
It took less than normal to download for me. And I can't notice any changes. Maybe they modified internal things.

werpu
January 10th, 2007, 23:07
No big changes, it also still keeps the 576p aspect ratio on the european snes and nes games (which then keeps my sharp aquos to go dark on component input, sharp bug, but nevertheless, having the vc console ignoring every setting on the wii still is a bug)

compoman386
January 11th, 2007, 10:55
Before the update I was unable to link my Wii shop channel account to my Club Nintendo VIP account, which I have attempted several times. Straight after the update I was able to link the two with no problem. If this is the issue that has been fixed then it would explain why this was a Euro only update, as (please correct me if wrong) Club Nintendo VIP is only available in Europe.

the_eternal_dark
January 11th, 2007, 14:34

I hope it does. Exploits usually mean easy piracy. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for homebrew, but I'd hate to see this killed off by a group of people who are too cheap to buy their games.

On the other hand, what else does this update offer? Increased security? Connection fixes? Popcorn maker?

hp1
January 12th, 2007, 09:39
Does the slot flash blue to tell you the update has arrived? I thought the whole point of being connected on standby mode was that it downloads the updates for you? Do I have to manually go and look for the update?

Kramer
January 12th, 2007, 10:10
Does the slot flash blue to tell you the update has arrived? I thought the whole point of being connected on standby mode was that it downloads the updates for you? Do I have to manually go and look for the update?

Yep you have to go to settings and update it, because mines on Wiiconnect24 and it hasnt upgraded itself.