PDA

View Full Version : Valhalla Knights Preview

wraggster
January 10th, 2007, 22:46
Via IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/754/754100p1.html)

How many times have you started up an RPG and wondered why you can't actually define the main character? If you're playing a role, shouldn't you have a chance to make the characters into whatever you want them to be? What's more, shouldn't you be able to pick and choose what quests to complete or characters that join your party? Well, Xseed Games' upcoming title, Valhalla Knights looks like it will give RPG fans this kind of flexibility with action RPG gameplay. We got our hands on a preview copy of the game and gathered these new impressions of the title.

The story of Valhalla Knights takes place in a strange land where elves, dwarves, halflings and other mystical creatures live together in some degree of harmony. However, it's also a dangerous realm plagued with monsters and other strange beasts that stalk the land. Players take on the role of a mysterious hero who's lost their memory and wakes up at an inn with no idea of how they got there or who they are. The lone information that they possess is that they are descended from a legendary hero, and that knowledge helps motivate them to discover who they actually are. It also plays into the level of customization that the game offers.

You'll do loads of dungeon crawling in Valhalla Knights.

Initially, characters can choose to be a fighter, mage, priest or thief, which helps define their affinity for magic or powerful attacks. However, unlike most RPGs, you're not going to be restricted to this classification for the entire adventure. At any point in time, players will have the opportunity to select a sub-job of any one of the other classes, bolstering their abilities without losing any of their attributes. For example, a high level fighter can choose to be a mage as a sub-job to gain incredible magic attacks and resistance to spells. There are even new jobs that can be discovered as you complete quests and adventure throughout the world.

While you can get any available quest that you want to take on by applying for them at guilds in town, you aren't forced to complete quests in any particular order. Nor are you forced to travel alone. In fact, you'll have the opportunity to hire up to five additional party members of differing classes to take with you into combat. It may initially seem like overkill, but you'll definitely need the help, because the large numbers of enemies that you'll face during fights can be somewhat daunting. However, you won't have to wade through turn-based gameplay. Valhalla Knights plays somewhat similar to that of Final Fantasy 11 and other MMO type games with an emphasis on action.

Battles will be large, fast and furious.

By pulling the R button, players can target a specific enemy, which they can then attack by hitting either the X or Circle button to trigger various combinations. You're not restricted by hand to hand combat either. Pulling the L button allows you to engage in ranged combat with enemies. While it may seem like button mashing, there's a strategic facet to the game as well: players can switch control of party members at will to use their skills or direct the other characters in your group. Tactical directions to your characters are key, because without proper management, many of the characters can be separated and easily killed off by the various beasts that you'll face. We'll have more on Valhalla Knights soon, but for now, check out these new screens of the game.

Screens Via Comments

Shrygue
January 10th, 2007, 22:50
Those screen shots look good. I bet this will be a great game to play. I wonder when it will be released?

pt9087
January 10th, 2007, 23:50
Yer it does look good, also anyone know if oblivion will ever come out because i have herd so many different thing about it.

sinjinn
January 11th, 2007, 00:40
T
I theasaurus
mohting
see H whats up with this
o o s b
hey ,see ull
i can see
my ? knows

a m
n d y