PDA

View Full Version : What if the next PSP doesn't support UMD?

wraggster
January 10th, 2007, 23:02
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/01/10/if-psp2-doesnt-support-umd/)

Lately there have been rumblings that Sony will release another version of the PSP. Some say it may include a hard drive, an i-Tunes like downloadable games solution or even two analog sticks. These all sound like great additions to Sony's console if they're included, but if they do go all download with their next gen PSP what happens to UMD?

I would personally prefer a downloadable solution as opposed to UMD (assuming the PSP gets a hard drive). Being able to download new PSP games from a PS3, computer or in store kiosk would not just add convenience, but would also reduce load times on the system. This would be important since one of the main gripes about the PSP is in fact the load times. Also, a gamer wouldn't have to swap a physical disc should they choose during their train ride to play a different game.

The only issue with no UMD on the next PSP would only occur if there wasn't any kind of UMD slot on the system. For even if the PSP2 didn't manufacture new games on a UMD, Sony has a heritage in gaming when it comes to backwards compatibility. This would be even worse if Nintendo's next system played both DS and Gameboy games. It would have the potential to alienate the millions of current PSP owners and that's something Sony can not afford to have happen.

Of course what should occur and what will occur can be very different things. Do you want the PSP2 to just use UMD again or would you like it to try either a cartridge or downloadable solution? Would you buy the next PSP if it didn't have a UMD slot at all?

Shrygue
January 10th, 2007, 23:09
To me, it doesn't matter wheather the PSP 2 still supports UMD or not because I'll but it if it actually comes out. I would be useful if it had an internal hard drive or flash memory storage.

aCoL
January 10th, 2007, 23:15
i dont know what else you can put on a psp in my book to make it better i like it how it is :P

xg917
January 10th, 2007, 23:16
i jus bought my psp!!! and now they r making another!!!! wtf@!!@!@@

mr.oddball
January 10th, 2007, 23:19
Can't do downloads. Makes pirating waaaaaay too easy.

xg917
January 10th, 2007, 23:20
thats really true

DKing
January 10th, 2007, 23:26
It's already easy enough with ISO and even the DS with the catridges. I don't see how downloads would make it that much easier.

aCoL
January 10th, 2007, 23:29
i hard drive big enough that its ment to hold a few games makes it easier 8gb as opposed to like 20 or 30

pt9087
January 10th, 2007, 23:55
HDs are very delicate... i dropped my friends psp HD and it fu**cked it... hehe he took it back and got another one!

Shrygue
January 10th, 2007, 23:59
Flash memory is a better idea, no internal moving parts that can get runied.

Chuthbert
January 11th, 2007, 00:10
There's no way in hell this is ever going to happen, espically considering how much effort went into creating and distrubuting UMDs. I would hate not being able to have a physical copy of games I buy. A download-only method of selling games will put off LOADS of potential customers for Sony.

PSPFanboy has been talking a load of rubbish lately IMO. Not that I dislike the site at all, I use it regularly.

sroon
January 11th, 2007, 00:22
I think for PSP2 they should stay with the Disk and not Cartridge because if you look at the PSP it is easily hackable and you dont need too buy certain cartiges like you do for the ds.
so as im saying memorysticks for the system then haveing these fart assed catriges which are a dildo to hack with...

thens just my opinion tho
(O )( O)

tragedie
January 11th, 2007, 01:09
I think for PSP2 they should stay with the Disk and not Cartridge because if you look at the PSP it is easily hackable and you dont need too buy certain cartiges like you do for the ds.
so as im saying memorysticks for the system then haveing these fart assed catriges which are a dildo to hack with...

thens just my opinion tho
(O )( O)

what?

--

Let's look at manafacturer's point of view. The UMD was created to combat piracy by using media that isn't readily available. Nintendo did this for years with their cartridges, sure you could still buy a blank cartridge which was supposed to be used for developing, but you couldn't go to Best Buy and pick one up. These formats prevent piracy that's it. So the media itself hasn't contributed to piracy, it seems there are other clever ways to circumvent physical media...

Some people are worried about not having a hard copy... I'm pretty sure there are a few hundred thousand people playing Counter-Strike on STEAM that don't care. Another small group of people who really don't mind not having a hard copy include iTunes users. Anybody here have an iPod?

Now remember that both STEAM and iPod have alternative ways to use that media, you can still go out and buy the actual CD/DVD discs at FYI and enjoy it from a spinning disc. Just that if you download it from their web service, you get to save space on your cluttered desk, and you get to save the publisher some money by not having to give you a sheet of plastic. They could easily have a disc that automatically detects your handheld and transfer necessary data over to it once placed in your computer's CD/DVD drive.

So, if you are a computer owner (remember, computers are generally more expensive than those PS3s so quit complaining about paying 600 USD to get PS1 classics), you could use publisher's download service and play right away. No computer? its ok, you can go out and buy a copy at GameStop while you're on the go.

Vega
January 11th, 2007, 01:18
I say sony should stick with UMD. Downloading would be time consuming. Plus theres only such much memory. With a standard PSP game being around 400 - 1200 mb , there would only be so many games we could have stored in the HD.

L-28C
January 11th, 2007, 02:28
I like the HD idea 'cause of the space, but they're more delicate also... :(

I also don't think they're gonna do downloads, as it would be a very dumb move... :p

As for the UMD thing, I could say "Hell no, I ain't buying it if I can't play my older games with it! Screw!", but then when it comes out I'll probably be tempted... ;)

One more thing, I will buy it as soon as they come out, I ain't waiting for a TA-082 to come ruin the scene like I did with my PSP! :mad:

pax13
January 11th, 2007, 03:06
I think they could always make an external acessory to cpy umd to the internal memory, & go for a new approach, large capacity flash memory is becoming increasingly cheaper!

DrNicket
January 11th, 2007, 04:12
Speaking of external accessory, it'd be interesting if they sold a UMD-ROM drive for the PS3. You could play UMD discs (games/movies) on your TV. For those who may complain about resolution, you'd have to try playing VHS or 1st gen DVDs on a 42" HDTV plasma to get most people to care.

nyrtrublue
January 11th, 2007, 05:16
i think if sony installs any kind of internal memory they are screwing themselves bc
first off you lose money on new units
second dax will make them pay for it
third umds are starting to have quality titeles and are bound to do better n the near future

angusW
January 11th, 2007, 05:51
Get rid of the UMD. I have about 20 umd's that have never seen my psp as I prefer to not carry them around. They are purchased so that I have a backup and to help support developers.

If there was no umd then I would back-up like I do everything else. Onto a DVD. It's not difficult or expensive. People who worry about losing stuff from their hdd really should look into a proper back-up regiment.

A umd-less psp would also be thinner.

Also, the new psp should not have a hdd. It would add to the weight and size of the psp. And lets not forget to mention that they fail more often then a memory stick. Easier to change a memory stick than a hdd.

Havard
January 11th, 2007, 06:19
Well obviously Sony are going to alienate the 20 million+ or so PSP owners in the world by stopping production on UMDs and just going for downloads!

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdatapsp_e.html

And frankly, broadband usuage is just not widespread enough, fast enough or consistent enough to go down the download route (taking a UK perspective).

This goes back to the handheld market being a market that is slower to mature as it's less competative than the consoles. How long did the gameboy last, the GBA etc. PSPs are here to stay - there may be a remodelling to encourage continuous intererest and to encourage multiple buys but I can't see any good business sense in replacing (or even announcing a replacement at this stage - especially as technically, the PSP is way a head of anything else).

There may be a model with a harddisk or flash memory, Sony may include download options but the basic hardware configuration is set and that surely can't change?

samthegreat68
January 11th, 2007, 06:27
if they take out umd's old grandma's and crap wont know how to buy their grandson's games

eLAy12
January 11th, 2007, 06:51
since 1 gig cards are going for around $40 max now, i think sony should just put their games on the memory cards and just find a way to lock the cards indefinitely - like the ds does. The price of the games shouldn't be any different from the umd prices

pichon
January 11th, 2007, 08:25
It's impossible that PSP2 wouldn't support UMD. Deny yourself compatibility with the big library of games you already have would too stupid even for Sony

Ennohex
January 11th, 2007, 11:53
There's no problem with backwards compatability as far as games are concerned. They just need to make all umd games run from memory... just like now with the iso emulation. Could drop game cost too. I'll only really be pissed if there's a different(better) processor build.

PLZKLLME0080
January 11th, 2007, 19:45
If the PSP2 didnt have a UMD slot, i probley wouldnt get it. Even if it will have one, if it comes out too soon, i wont get it. It seems like Sony just came out with the PSP, they need to give it some time to see whats good and bad about it, and incorporate that into the PSP2.
if they take their time and release the PSP2 in 2008/2009, much more people would buy it seeing how the first PSP would be outdated.
With the UMD slot vs hard drive, why can't they have both? If the PSP2 had a UMD slot and a hard drive I would get it, along with millions of other people.