PDA

View Full Version : Legal Woes Aside, iPhone To Rumble With PSP and DS

wraggster
January 11th, 2007, 17:20
Via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/iphone/legal-woes-aside-iphone-to-rumble-with-psp-and-ds-227861.php)

Newsweek's N'Gai Croal pinged us with his take on how the iPhone will shake things up. He blogs:

The iPhone isn't a direct challenger to Sony's portable gaming ambitions--that would be the wildly popular Nintendo DS--but it most certainly is a threat to Sony's mobile media and communication ambitions. After all, the iPod has iTunes (with music, movies, TV and games); while the PSP has the Playstation Network (for PS2 games that can run on the PSP's emulator and...nothing else right now--more than two years after its launch.)

But what about the DS? Croal says:

The iPhone won't stop the DS from selling like ice on a hot summer day, but it could cause a lot of casual DS owners to put it in a sock drawer and forget about it.
But for now, it looks like the only thing that's being shaken up is Apple as the company gets entangled in a legal dispute over trademark infringement. Portable gaming, for now you are safe!

For more about the Iphone check out our Apple News Site (http://apple.dcemu.co.uk).

Veskgar
January 11th, 2007, 17:32
Yeah, I must admit that I was pretty impressed by that iPhone.

But as far as a portable gaming device it won't be as strong as DS Lite or PSP.

There are NO BUTTONS! The whole thing is just one nice touch screen. That is not really a bad thing but it will mean that games will need to be developed specifically for that sort of touch screen.

I think strategy & simulation games that could be controlled easily by touch-screen/stylus would work really well on it.

The iPhone will come in both 4GB & 8GB variations so it will be interesting to see if any homebrew can be developed for it.

phsychokill
January 11th, 2007, 18:08
i wish the mistake in that was true and we realy could download ps2 games for the psp

Vega
January 11th, 2007, 18:20
Via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/iphone/legal-woes-aside-iphone-to-rumble-with-psp-and-ds-227861.php)

After all, the iPod has iTunes (with music, movies, TV and games); while the PSP has the Playstation Network (for PS2 games that can run on the PSP's emulator and...nothing else right now--more than two years after its launch.) [/INDENT]

lol.... what ? looks like someone has to do their research before predicting the future. PS2 games on PSP ? FFS, are these people THAT dumb?

F9zDark
January 11th, 2007, 18:28
And what Legal Woes are they talking about?

phsychokill
January 11th, 2007, 18:49
And what Legal Woes are they talking about?

cisco owns the rights to the name iphone and are taking apple to court

Skateblind
January 11th, 2007, 19:06
I thought apple were the good guys once, but now I realise that they are all the same. Why sue a company because they use the letter i before the name or is this iphone look almost identical to an ipod. I would say they have more right over the name than Apple. Firstly the name actually states what the product is mainly used for, secondly Apples name has not got much to do with the product(interactive pod???), which in my badly informed opinion, means apple only have a right to the whole word 'ipod'. I think it is damn stupid to invest alot of time and money into a few words. For instance, most people like me, could tell a real ipod from a fake, even if they haven't ever owned or operated one. I'll apologise now for this rambling on the structure of mega corporations and the way they are run, but it just makes my blood boil. By the way, this essay is copyrighted, so dont try anything funny. :P

John Vattic
January 11th, 2007, 19:24
Apple=Emo

i have a DS and a PSP and i'm continually impressed with the psp's power. I never even thought about getting an emopod. DS is about as emo as i'll get.

Only people who buy apple products are idiots who are simply impressed with the aesthetics of their electronics. The same people are deathly afraid of dos commands, hug trees, and sniff their pets butts for unusual odors.

Nothing says dork like weezer glasses, a new volkswagen beetle, and an imac.

Cloud_35
January 11th, 2007, 20:52
Apple=Emo

Let's define emo...

...never mind:rolleyes:

baracki96
January 11th, 2007, 21:35
Didn't some company come out with a super expensive phone/gamehandheld? Didn't t attempt to take some of the thunder away from handelds of the time? wasn't it a huge failure that has gone down in history as one of the WORST gaming devices EVER?! Now, not saying it's a certainty but I believe the Iphone, as far as gaming is involved, will go down like the N-GAGE. Of course the N-gage wasn't made by Apple, so the Iphone in the multimedia department will probablly sell decently due to Apple's Reputation. That's my two cents on the IPHONE:cool:

Emeriastone
January 11th, 2007, 21:40
I think the Iphone is a cool new thing, but I don't believe it to be in the same category as the ds or psp. I mean for one thing, it's a phone don't forget that, and the interface really isn't made for playing video games. And also for 500 - 600 USD, I don't think a lot of young people are going to be playing video games on it. If those kids had that much free spending budget, they'd probably go out and buy either a Wii, 360 or PS3.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited about the iphone. This holds a lot of interesting new possibilities for homebrew I think, if the thing supports 3rd party dev.

All in all, to group them into the same category isn't fair to anyone.

Nookadum
January 11th, 2007, 23:34
Only people who make retarded posts like John Vattic are idiots who simply can't make many valid points in arguments.

Anyway, the iPhone looks pretty nice, considering that most of the hardware is from Intel themselves. That and it's possibly the first phone to utilize OpenGL entirely, but I could be wrong there.

But people are right about one thing, more likely than not, it will not be a heavy gaming machine compared to the DS or PSP.

John Vattic
January 12th, 2007, 00:53
You, sir, are Emo.

Broadus
January 12th, 2007, 02:20
How would something meant specifically for media be a threat to the Nintendo DS and PSP?

Ramza042
January 12th, 2007, 02:45
Apple=Emo

i have a DS and a PSP and i'm continually impressed with the psp's power. I never even thought about getting an emopod. DS is about as emo as i'll get.

Only people who buy apple products are idiots who are simply impressed with the aesthetics of their electronics. The same people are deathly afraid of dos commands, hug trees, and sniff their pets butts for unusual odors.

Nothing says dork like weezer glasses, a new volkswagen beetle, and an imac.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Finally, someone with sense.

In all fairness to Apple, though, the new intel based macs are pretty nice, considering the top model "almost" kept up with a comparable priced windoze pc in several benchmarking tests. Still, I'll never own one, I know how to use dos, and I enjoy cutting down trees. :D

And the ONLY VW Beetle as far as I am concerned is the original.

samthegreat68
January 12th, 2007, 06:58
$500-$600!!!??! i need a new phone but not that bad. jeez

Veskgar
January 12th, 2007, 08:21
You, sir, are Emo.

That is a really annoying and overused term. Lets stick to making fun of crappy music with that term.

Basil Zero
January 12th, 2007, 21:00
huh, iphone will make some of the DS Users lose focus, but not all, the iphone will struggle as much as the psp did and the ps3 is now.