PDA

View Full Version : End of the Shadows Sourcecode release and info

wraggster
January 11th, 2007, 18:54
News from Octobinz (http://www.developperstune.com/Edemptia/news.php)

Lo' there.

About the game, here are actual steps and deadlines :

1 - Network basics needs to be fixed. Actually, many informations are transfered from client to server in actual (non release/non source-released) version. But memleaks and actual data structures sucks.

2 - Find a main artist. Rips are nice. Yes. But they are rips that doesn't show the heart of the game.
I still looking...

3 - About player possibilities.

Actually, i decided to keep "basic" classes (warrior, rogue, priest, mage) and only human to simplify arts and others things to release a demo. I'm thinking about the quest system and interface. World of warcraft's one suits fine to me. talk to NPC, get quest, complete quest, completion registered on server, reward, that's all.

For a basic system, it seems good.

4 - Characters :

They are hosted server side in mysql database containing informations (model, location when logout, stats, items, etc...).
Number of character is unlimited atm. about characters creation & players registration, registration will be done on website. First, player identification, characters list & new characters creation capabilities, then enjoy.

To conclude, i can say than coding a mmo is some kind of pain. I'm building engine to fit all future needs and i'm not sure of many things but i think i'm in the good direction.

About sourcecode.

GPL. That's all. At starts, i simply wanted to share it. I dont care about intellectual property and stuff like this. Work and creations have sens only when they are shared. But every friends of mine says : "you SHOULD take care of this".
So that's it. It's GPL and i stil have my friends. Nice isn't it ?

also this:

I made a very little sourcecode update using svn version. Few things are clearer and bugs were fixed.

And yes, if game_engine->player is null, you cannot use it.

More info at link above