PDA

View Full Version : NPD sales prove "the power of PlayStation," claims Tretton

wraggster
January 12th, 2007, 16:01
via gibiz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22189)

Sony's recent sales figures in North America are proof of the company's brand power in the territory, according to US CEO Jack Tretton.

The best-selling Sony system was the six-year old PlayStation 2, which moved 1.4 million units in December - outselling rival next-gen consoles from Microsoft and Nintendo.

"If there was ever any doubt about the power of the PlayStation brand in the US, the December NPD data should quickly quell it," said Tretton.

Although PSP sales rose by 130 per cent from the previous month, it was still out-sold by the DS, with Sony's handheld selling 953,200 compared to Nintendo's 1.6 million units.

Sony managed to sell 497,000 PlayStation 3s in December, bringing the total to 687,000 of the reported one million units it has shipped so far.

Tretton is still upbeat when it comes to PS3's performance, despite the low sales of the console compared to the figures for Wii and Xbox 360.

"Not only did consumers drive records for PlayStation 3, they also validated the excellent value represented by PlayStation 2 and the entertainment versatility of PSP. These sales figures bode very well for the company heading into 2007," he said.

Veskgar
January 12th, 2007, 20:31
Say what you want about PSP or PS3 but it is pretty impressive that the PS2 has been doing so good 6+ years after release.

Just as I have lots of PSX games I have never played to completion but now will on PSP, there are a lot of PS2 games I have not yet played that I would like to.

At just $129.99, the PS2 is a good value.

Basil Zero
January 12th, 2007, 20:58
Heck ya, the PS family will become dominate soon enough, give it a few months lol

Makaveli777
January 12th, 2007, 22:49
Wow with all the sony bashing it must have been hard to find this article. Im happy to hear it though.