PDA

View Full Version : Wii tops new console launches

wraggster
January 12th, 2007, 16:13
via gamespot (http://us.gamespot.com/news/6164106.html)

With the release of NPD Funworld's 2006 numbers today, one big question was answered. Namely, the figures revealed which of the three formerly next-generation consoles sold the most at launch.

"...It smells like Wiictory."
To those following the industry, the winner should come as no surprise. From its release on November 19 until December 31, more than 1.1 million "new-gen" Wiis were sold in the US. That was nearly double the approximately 687,300 PlayStation 3s sold following its November 17 launch until the end of the year. By comparison, the just over 607,000 Xbox 360s were sold in 2005 following its November 22 launch.

During December 2006, the 360 sold more than 1.1 million units, no doubt benefiting from scant supplies of the PS3 and the popularity of Gears of War. As of the end of 2006, Microsoft's console had sold just over 4.5 million units in the US and more than 10.4 million worldwide.

But before the Nintendo faithful begin writing epitaphs for Sony and Microsoft, NPD senior marketing manager David Riley said the only thing holding back the 360 and PS3 was production capacity. "Comparing the three consoles is like apples and oranges," he told GameSpot. "It was all about availability. Microsoft and Sony were moving them as fast as they could put them out. [But] Nintendo was on the ball."

Riley also thought the PS3's high price--$499 for the 20GB model, $599 for the 60GB--wasn't as large a factor as many have made it out to be. "I think price plays a role there, but remember during the holiday season people have deep pockets," he said. "Kids know what they want, and if they tell mom to go buy a PS3 and she comes home with a Wii, they won't be happy."

Fundamentally, though, Riley thinks that there are no losers in the next-gen console war--only winners. "I know plenty of gamers who own multiple platforms. That's why I despise the term console wars," he said. "I have all three, and I buy the software I want for each one."

[UPDATE] Within an hour of the NPD numbers' release, the spin doctors were out in force. Dave Karraker, Sony Computer Entertainment America's director of corporate communications, said that his company did indeed ship 1 million PS3s in North America in 2006. "NPD doesn't account for Canada... [and] doesn't cover all of our USA retailers," he told GameSpot. "We sold-in more than 150,000 systems the last week of December, so there were many units in transit or at retailer's backrooms waiting to be put out [by year's end]."

For its part, Microsoft claimed outright victory over the holidays. "The Xbox 360 garnered a 51 percent market share in the United States for December 2006...outselling the PlayStation 3 and Wii combined in December and outselling all next-generation consoles in November and December," the company said in a statement.

Analysts were also skeptical, with some believing that the Wii sold more than NPD reported. "I don't understand how US Wii sell-through could be 1.1 million cumulatively, with Nintendo saying that they shipped half of their 4 million here and zero inventory on retail shelves at year end," said Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter. "Where are the other 900,000 units? I assume 200,000 are in transit, but this number makes no sense to me at all."

geise69
January 12th, 2007, 17:49
The dreamcast sold over 1 million in it's first week. If the ps2 never came out and people weren't brainwashed by sony the industry would be a lot different, but probably in a good way.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
January 12th, 2007, 18:09
in uk terms Wee=piss
wii pisses all over ps3 then
piece of shit 3

Demolition49
January 12th, 2007, 18:44
Yes... Very odd figures indeed... somthing def wrong there...

I am glad nintendo are back where they belong (the top) i not a nintendo fanboy but i do beleive people need to give nintendo more credit... without nintendo we may still be stuck with a d-pad, no rumble and no motion sensor but amazing graphics and a bad controller to input.

BUT...

this is a long race till the end and we will really truly see some "proper" figures when we get a year in to each of the consoles life... i think nintendo are going to have much better 3rd party support this time round.

All the best luck to them. all we can do is play the wii and wait :thumbup:

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
January 12th, 2007, 23:08
i live in Newcastle and the Wii is definitely the top. i'm still trying to get a Wii, but there's never one in stock!!!!!!!!!

Plowking
January 13th, 2007, 00:00
Live in Ireland and just bought a Wii yesterday.

Was on the fence about this new technology until I finally tried it. Great fun.

I could predict people having a Wii AND either an XBox360 or PS3, because the Wii is so differernt. Nintendo have veered off on a tangent to the other consoles - and could be different enough to have its own separate cross-section of the console pie.

In a nutshell, I don't know if I want an Xbox360 or a PS3, has to be one or the other. The decision to get a Wii had nothing to do with either of those consoles.

shadowprophet
January 13th, 2007, 02:10
Yes... Very odd figures indeed... somthing def wrong there...

I am glad nintendo are back where they belong (the top) i not a nintendo fanboy but i do beleive people need to give nintendo more credit... without nintendo we may still be stuck with a d-pad, no rumble and no motion sensor but amazing graphics and a bad controller to input.

BUT...

this is a long race till the end and we will really truly see some "proper" figures when we get a year in to each of the consoles life... i think nintendo are going to have much better 3rd party support this time round.

All the best luck to them. all we can do is play the wii and wait :thumbup:

Except I will add.
I believe money is changing hands on these numbers at some point in very illegal ways.
every set of numbers ive seen where estiments i'll admit that.
However for all the estiments i have seen to be so drastically different. someone somewhere is doing an awful lot of fact smudging...

mnuhaily22
January 14th, 2007, 08:42
I think wii is a very fun and interesting system, but it lacks only in one point, the part that I think is very inportant to gaming, which is the power of the system, which makes it lack graphics wise, but I still think it is amazing.

nathan1974au
January 15th, 2007, 05:59
really i don't care which console go's top
depends on the games and the hackabillty to back up copy's is what im looking for. if you cant burn games and play machine is rubbish.

shadowprophet
January 15th, 2007, 07:01
really i don't care which console go's top
depends on the games and the hackabillty to back up copy's is what im looking for. if you cant burn games and play machine is rubbish.

Surely you ment homebrew. At least im gonna give you the benifit of that doubt...