PDA

View Full Version : Chankast News and its Coming for Xbox too !

DCEmu_Newsposter
January 1st, 1970, 01:00
I spoke of the rumour some months back and its true, Chankast the Dreamcast emulator for Windows is also coming to the Xbox Console.[br][br]Heres what Garrofi posted Himself (http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?s=c5308e64f167d69aa9c35895108815b7&t=25075):[br][br] Hi,[br][br]About our missing in action. Chankast has been a very stressful project, it needed a lot of time to get it working. We did an incredible work to get the first release working in only 3 months, it was a full time work. After the 0.25 release I didn't feel like doing chankast again so I took a long break, but[br]we have been improving a lot of things in that time. The emu is faster and need less memory to work, an early xbox version is working, it's great to see shenmue 1 on xbox , the sound is better, ...[br][br]About the future, we are thinking about releasing the source code and a binary with the latest changes.[br]Garrofi [br][br]Discuss below :)

[Modified 12/13/04 09:13:26 by DCEmu_Newsposter]

quzar
December 13th, 2004, 10:05
the xbox's processor has almost identical MFLOPs ratings to the DC's. i look foward to seeing the source code, even if i doubt it will be released.

SmashinGit
December 13th, 2004, 10:41
Great news :)

Kron
December 13th, 2004, 10:51
Boo :(

GPF
December 13th, 2004, 11:21
I think thats great, hopefully the news version has better support for homebrew dev, and maybe debug support.

Or maybe with the release of the code, those enhancements can be made.

Thanks Garrofi for your hardwork, I use the emulator for some of my development when away from my dreamcast.

Troy

quzar
December 13th, 2004, 11:26
I think thats great, hopefully the news version has better support for homebrew dev, and maybe debug support.

Or maybe with the release of the code, those enhancements can be made.

Thanks Garrofi for your hardwork, I use the emulator for some of my development when away from my dreamcast.

Troy

somehow i doubt that it will be homebrew friendly ever.

Also, if it uses DirectX and is being ported to the xbox, does that mean they are using the XDK? if so, that is just another blow at chankast being the warez emulator.

MetaFox
December 13th, 2004, 12:00
The sourcecode release is good news.

The only qualm I had with it was that it didn't boot commercial independent games like Feet of Fury from the CD (nor play it at all as far as I know). This was bad news in my eyes for the independent commercial releases, as people might mistake the fact that Chankast doesn't play independent commercial releases as flaws in the games instead of flaws in the emulator.

With the source release, it would then be possible to work on getting the games to boot.

I'll have no more problems with Chankast at all after the source release.

Mental2k
December 13th, 2004, 13:06
who saud it couldn't be done on xbox. Eat hat now!

wraggster
December 13th, 2004, 13:10
as far as i know Unai is working on a developers version of Chankast

quzar
December 13th, 2004, 13:18
who saud it couldn't be done on xbox. Eat hat now!
ill keep my hat in the closet, i dont think itll have to go anywhere anytime soon.

Eric
December 13th, 2004, 13:28
lol i know it will run on the xbox how it will boot is the question by G-Rom or Rom and i know that the xbox cant read the G-Rom unless the emu itself can but it should be quite the same as the PC version

quzar
December 13th, 2004, 13:34
chankast has no ability to read GD-roms or GD rom images at all. as far as im concerned it has no emulation of the GD rom or its structure.

wraggster
December 13th, 2004, 15:18
is there a way to with firmware to turn a DVD rom drive into a GD rom reader?

Mental2k
December 13th, 2004, 15:25
the same way we can turn a standard pc one wraggs?

Skyhawk
December 13th, 2004, 15:36
As it's great to see the development of Chankcast going so well I'm somehow dissapointed we loose the Dreamcast console as an exlcusive base for it's unique games, homebrew games and emulators.

But still the Dreamcast looks more sexy than the Xbox :D!

DCDayDreamer
December 13th, 2004, 16:04
Hopefully one day Chankast will become another dev tool for the DC scene, but it's still cheap and easy to burn a multi-session CDR to test HB on the console it was intended for.

As it's great to see the development of Chankcast going so well I'm somehow dissapointed we loose the Dreamcast console as an exlcusive base for it's unique games, homebrew games and emulators.

There's no need to worry, how many exclusive X-Box HB Games/Demos/Apps can you download without going in through the backdoor :P.

But still the Dreamcast looks more sexy than the Xbox

That's why I keep my DC out in the open and my X-Box hidden from view - being the wind-up merchant that I am, it's great when someone pops round and says 'a Dreamcast, get with the times buddy'. Of course I then open a door in my cabinet and usually reply with 'just like the software - you can't easily find it'. It usually gets their goat when I say the PS2 sitting next to it is way better anyway, 'just check the sales figures', it's so easy to wind up the tech heads.

quzar
December 13th, 2004, 20:44
is there a way to with firmware to turn a DVD rom drive into a GD rom reader?

The icarus team was researching that, but who knows if that knowledge will ever come out now that chankast has stirred up all the warez kiddies.

WHurricane16
December 13th, 2004, 20:49
Once again we are splitting apples and oranges and saying they are grapes.

I'll leave it as that.

JMD
December 14th, 2004, 01:11
as far as i know Unai is working on a developers version of Chankast

Great !!
:)

Darksaviour69
December 14th, 2004, 04:48
i don't think they could get it at full speed, could they?

ron
December 14th, 2004, 05:25
Devs version should be right, because you don't need to have your real DC running when coding, and you can run DC compilations as much as you want, and without a BBA, when using only the coders cable is faster and clean than using a real DC. Once your software has been tested on chankast then is time to run over the DC.

This will help to save lots of cd's and the ability to run binaries against an iso image without gui is a candy for the coders, :D great news anyway

JMD
December 14th, 2004, 06:26
A console for printf debugs should be great and some real times stats on cpu usage and free memory too.

Eric
December 14th, 2004, 06:36
LOL Dreamcast will be able to be fullspeed on Xbox if not a playable speed they have many systems emulated and are fullspeed or near fullspeed it will just take a little more work for the Dreamcast