PDA

View Full Version : Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure Impressions

wraggster
January 12th, 2007, 22:07
Via IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/754/754850p1.html)

Ever wonder if there was more to the world than you actually knew? What if there was a parallel dimension where humans and monsters co-existed peacefully? That's one of the premises behind Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure, a new action RPG from Nihon Falcom, makers of Ys and Legend of Heroes. We've spent a lot more time with Parin and her monster friends, and we have a much better sense of what the little girl with a legendary drill can do.

The last preview that we did on the game highlighted the story and some of the basic moves that Parin can do. As Parin continues exploring the monster world to help her newfound friends defeat the phantoms that threaten them, she'll acquire a number of new abilities. For one, using what's known as a guard dash will render her invincible to incoming attacks, which will come in handy when Parin is surrounded by enemies. While she can swing her drill and make contact with opponents, charging the drill is easily the most effective way of clearing foes from your path. By holding the X button, Parin can charge the drill, releasing it with varying levels of strength. Triggering a level 1 strike fires up the drill for a few seconds, while level 2 strike extends the duration of the attack a bit longer. A level 3 charge turns Parin into a drill torpedo, propelling her through her enemies.

Parin isn't restricted by taking enemies out on the ground either. She can juggle small opponents into the air and take them out with mid air attacks. In fact, the only way that she'll be able to traverse some crevasses or reach distant platforms is to use her ability to lock onto enemies in mid air and leap from one defeated creature to another. Parin will also gain new attacks with a combination of directional pad moves and button presses. For instance, by performing a counter clockwise circle on the D-pad and hitting X, she'll perform a wide arcing attack with the drill.

Successfully landing blows on opponents, particularly charged attacks, has a two fold benefit. For one, it strengthens the drill itself, and at later levels allows you to project beams of light. For another, it lets you knock off the various gear that some of the monsters carry, which you can capture and redeem in town for enhancements to Parin's equipment. There's a number of items that she'll acquire along the way, like goggles that help her move through water without taking damage or gas masks that protect her from noxious fumes. While some items have apparent uses, others have rather unique properties that are bestowed on Parin. For instance, putting a set of cat ears on her head allows her to determine the number of treasure chests in a dungeon.

Don't think that you'll be stuck dungeon crawling through the various levels of Gurumin, though. You'll wind up traveling through forests, caves, frigid wastelands and other areas looking to defeat the phantoms, help your friends, and bring peace to the land. Many of your friends will direct you to your next objective, and considering that Gurumin's cast is stocked with veteran voice actors like Amber Hood, Tara Strong and Dee Bradley Baker, there should be plenty of well done cutscenes that are fully voiced over.

Veskgar
January 12th, 2007, 22:36
Great to see an English version of this game coming soon. I've tried out the Japanese version and it is pretty sweet.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
January 12th, 2007, 23:25
i like the characters, they're cute ^^ :)

pt9087
January 13th, 2007, 00:31
Yer well im not a fan of this game, but hopefully if i play it more then i will like!

Zobachka
January 13th, 2007, 02:38
One of my PSP favorites ^_^