PDA

View Full Version : Ritek boasting ten-layer HD DVD / Blu-ray discs?

wraggster
January 13th, 2007, 00:19
via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/12/ritek-boasting-ten-layer-hd-dvd-blu-ray-discs/)

Forget single-layer media, that dual-layer stuff that was all the rage last year, and even the triple-layered flavor that got announced just days ago. Heck, even an eight-layer disc would be forced to bow down to the sure-to-be-outdone-soon ten-layer rendition supposedly crafted by Ritek. No sooner than we all celebrated the idea of a 51GB HD DVD, Ritek has reportedly "designed HD media with a full ten layers," not to mention the supposed three- and four-layer coasters it has laying around while working its way up. As if that weren't impressive enough, it also claims that this multi-layer process can be applied to both HD DVD and Blu-ray, a feat that Toshiba's recent creation can't quite compete with. Of course, Ritek officials were quick to point out that the "real barrier to this advancement is the lack of reader / writer laser diodes to support the additional layers," but if there really are 250GB BD discs just waiting to get spun, those lasers aren't too far behind.

Video_freak
January 13th, 2007, 00:28
250 GB discs?! And, one day, my grandchildren will laugh at how 250 GB was a big deal back in "the old days". =\

Oh well, for 2007, this is pretty awesome news!

acn010
January 13th, 2007, 00:34
it will be very bad if it gets scratch,then it wont work

mike03$$$
January 13th, 2007, 01:01
This better be only for blue ray disc I need this for my ps3

alucard001
January 13th, 2007, 02:20
it will be very bad if it gets scratch,then it wont work
you are totally right.

DCergo
January 13th, 2007, 02:43
All bluray discs are have a protective composite 0.1mm coating on the surface, making them 100 times more durable than normal DVDs.

Read some FAQs about the various formulas companies are using on blurays: Durabis on TDK discs, Accucore/Scratch Guard on Sony discs, etc.

Mister Klownes
January 13th, 2007, 03:00
If I recall, Sony was boasting about this sort of capacity before BD players and burners even hit the market...kind of why I was quietly confident that BD would win the war...but BetaMax was a better quality product too. Price dictates everything, and a $1k burner plus a 250gb disc at who knows how much money isn't very appealing to Joe Public.

DCergo
January 13th, 2007, 03:34
If I recall, Sony was boasting about this sort of capacity before BD players and burners even hit the market...kind of why I was quietly confident that BD would win the war...but BetaMax was a better quality product too. Price dictates everything, and a $1k burner plus a 250gb disc at who knows how much money isn't very appealing to Joe Public.

Costs tend to drop rapidly. It was only back in 2000 that a DVD burner would set you back between $2000 and $3000(US). And blanks were nearly $30US. Yet, DVD turned out fine, didn't it?

mike03$$$
January 13th, 2007, 18:31
Does anybody know what this can do for the video game world for playstation 3

Video_freak
January 13th, 2007, 18:38
Does anybody know what this can do for the video game world for playstation 3

More memory= bigger games or higher definition.