PDA

View Full Version : SONY recalling PSP units ?.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
January 13th, 2007, 09:11
Tomassi of the MC forums says his local Wal-Mart was caught taking a lot of PSP's off the shelves as Sony has requested a recall. Another member by the name of Waldog claims his Walmart had a lot of PSP's TWO days ago and upon his return today there was less than five. Discussion is already pretty heated up on this, if you can shine a ray of light on the matter then feel free to do so.

Can anyone else confirm this ?

Veskgar
January 13th, 2007, 10:24
Uh Oh. SONY is taking back all of the downgradable PSP's and going to replace them with higher firmware TA-086 MOBO's.

If people are looking to get a homebrew capable PSP they better do it quick before its too late....

But it was also suggested that it could just a a merchandise transfer. Retail stores do that from time to time I guess.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
January 13th, 2007, 10:26
Call me cynical but those were my thoughts exactly Veskgar :).

splodger15
January 13th, 2007, 10:27
That is probaly the exact reason.

Gene
January 13th, 2007, 10:27
Possibly, there really was some sort of defect in the recent newborns?

No real info yet, just some guesses.

240-185
January 13th, 2007, 11:00
I agree with Veskgar too.

classicgmr
January 13th, 2007, 11:48
I haven't heard anything one way or the other but having dealt with FuncoLand employees (before they became GameStop and got rules of conduct forced on them) usually the employees get the best of the good stuff and the rules don't apply to them. :)

So in that respect maybe the Wal-Mart employees are digging them out and are going to eBay them as they did with all the 1.5's they could get their hands on after Sony upgraded new units before shipping them.

After all anything 2.71 and below on a non-TA086 is practically a guaranteed "3.03 Newest Firmware Special UltraRare plays all H0m3br3w, 3mul@t0rz and PS1 G@m3z LOLZ!!!!1!1!ONEONE!1! Only $400!!" eBay special.

Seriously though it would cost Sony a lot of ca$h to recall all those PSP's everywhere to replace, essentially, the entire PSP. Also if the recall is correct shipments may also be partially purchased by employees - before the rest are sent back - for the same reason above.

Foxmc_loud
January 13th, 2007, 13:32
oh oh

pt9087
January 13th, 2007, 14:19
Thats not to good. Sony mite have a chance in this battle.

cal360
January 13th, 2007, 14:23
You never know though, Sony may be recalling them back to be replaced with a new motherboard to combat downgrading or their latest PSP batch could have some realy big flaw which we could of used

Anonymous D
January 13th, 2007, 14:30
im going with the firmware cause once all the units are 2.81 and above, sony will have won, if only for a few months. Anyone heard any rumours of a 2.81+ exploit? ideas or theories?

sakamoto
January 13th, 2007, 14:44
this scares me a lot. one individual post something on a forum. not one person has confirmed it. in fact the opposite. and all scene related sites take this crap as reporting news.

/me is sceptical

sroon
January 13th, 2007, 14:53
Uh Oh. SONY is taking back all of the downgradable PSP's and going to replace them with higher firmware TA-086 MOBO's.

If people are looking to get a homebrew capable PSP they better do it quick before its too late....

But it was also suggested that it could just a a merchandise transfer. Retail stores do that from time to time I guess.

Haha you took the words right from my mouth lol
there prolly all downgradable.
Good work Dark-Alex:P
(O ) ( O)

collingall2005
January 13th, 2007, 15:02
well, i work at toys r us and we do the same thing after season is over, minimize our invintory and send non selling items to stores that are selling them, its most likely part of walmarts master plan not Sony's, and btw while i was at work the other day i found a few psps with box code c and a few with box code e and some with box code h, all downgradeable and sony doesnt want to recall those.

shrimpidy
January 13th, 2007, 15:57
I haven't seen or heard any of this in Canada but thats probably what going to happen.

Vega
January 13th, 2007, 16:13
January sales are nearly over. i'm guessing they (shops) are simply sending back stock which they had in masses.

BlackJackRatso
January 13th, 2007, 16:28
im going with the firmware cause once all the units are 2.81 and above, sony will have won, if only for a few months. Anyone heard any rumours of a 2.81+ exploit? ideas or theories?

I was wondering if it was at all possible to take a newer PSP firmware like 3.01 or something. remove the firmware that was in there but leave what makes the PSP identify the update and replace the now missing firmware with a custom one.

Sad to say I don't know the hardware and specs and all of that to know if something like that would work.

BlackJack23
January 13th, 2007, 16:49
I doubt they would replace the entire PSP. Most likely just upgrade the firmware.

Anyway, the PSP homebrew community is comprised of over 200,000 users. You can't beat us. We have enough members to piss off Sony until the PS9

crypysmoker
January 13th, 2007, 18:54
Ok... so.. lol, not only is sony loosing money on PS3 and PSp's... now they are going to try a recall on all these psp, at $199 a piece and loose all that money>

Suuuuuure.

So, then, they loose all that profit on psp, then send out all brand new ones and throw the others away?

Please think about this people before you start jumping to conclusions.
Also, if sony sent out a recall it is agaiinst federal law to not let the consumers know and to know why.

And if sony is actully doing this, then they have lost thie rminds and will be bankrupt in the next 3 years

gymnotropic
January 13th, 2007, 19:02
Hopefully they are recalling them to replace the D-pad so that people do not have to modify the PSP and do it themselves. e.o

psp411
January 13th, 2007, 19:02
Maybe dey are defective.... like mine... my current psp's headphone plugin is broken... when you jack in the cord into the jack, it sometimes plays the sounds from the psp speakers... n yea... i did try to recieve a new 1 but it was the same deal.
I got the psp from walmart so i decided to juss keep it(it wuz on sale for 179.99... + i got an ipod for music so it was all gud)

you neva kno... mayb sony is rly tryna fix some hardware on it... or mayb, dey mite be helpin out the homebrew scene. :D :cool:

Basil Zero
January 13th, 2007, 19:39
so thats where all the 1.50 psps went.....and now sony has them again...lol

just joking

i smell a firmware conspiracy though lol

PSPCulture
January 13th, 2007, 19:45
I doubt Sony would do a mass recall of PSP units distributed worldwide just because they *may* get downgraded and then used with a custom firmware.

Given that probably 1% of the PSP's in use today are running some form of homebrew, its unlikely that it would be enough to concern Sony enough to recall unsold units so they could be upgraded with a new firmware.

The cost alone of recalling the units would outweight any loss in income from those few units that would end up being used for playing pirated games. Most PSP purchasers don't even know about upgrading the PSP firmware, nevermind the possibility they have even heard of homebrew.

Its more likely Sony would put a recall out on all PSP units sold rather than units sitting on shelves waiting to be sold. That way some of the cost of shiping the units can be negated.

F9zDark
January 13th, 2007, 20:37

I was just thinking that, but didn't 0okm release a downgrader for TA-079 and TA-086 motherboards? I could have sworn he did...

Unless Sony has a new motherboard out... :mad:

nebulator
January 14th, 2007, 00:39
Oh no ..now people will have to by a Pre owned psp ? like i did ? for like a £100 ? And a few scratches and dead pixes is a price i would be willing to pay ...

Oh and i second or third the whole Sony can't recall ALL new psp's every where, that would just be retarded..

Veskgar
January 14th, 2007, 01:04
Given that probably 1% of the PSP's in use today are running some form of homebrew, its unlikely that it would be enough to concern Sony enough to recall unsold units so they could be upgraded with a new firmware.

Well SONY has so far shipped 20 million PSP's worldwide and PSP homebrew is a worldwide phenomenon so that is at least 200,000 homebrew enabled PSP's out there based on your estimate.

That's not too shabby but not as big as I would think the scene is by now. I'd like to think we are 1 million strong. If not, I hope someday we are 1 million strong.

That would ensure a vibrant active homebrew scene for many years to come. Look how far its come in less than 2 years.

juggaleaux
January 14th, 2007, 01:25
I wouldn't expect a recall over homebrewing.

Companies only do recalls when there is a safety risk to the consumer, such as electrical shock or choking hazard. Also, recalls are made public.

I don't believe this is a recall.

pibs
January 14th, 2007, 01:35
i think they are shipping them to other stores because shops run out quick. I recently could not find a refurbished or used psp at any store, they where all model M's but i got lucky and found a used TA-081 for $60

psp411
January 14th, 2007, 01:41
:confused:
I doubt Sony would do a mass recall of PSP units distributed worldwide just because they *may* get downgraded and then used with a custom firmware.

The cost alone of recalling the units would outweight any loss in income from those few units that would end up being used for playing pirated games. Most PSP purchasers don't even know about upgrading the PSP firmware, nevermind the possibility they have even heard of homebrew.

Its more likely Sony would put a recall out on all PSP units sold rather than units sitting on shelves waiting to be sold. That way some of the cost of shiping the units can be negated.

Thats tru... ma frends who have psp dont even kno about homebrew n da 1s dat ive told bout it dont wanna use it cuz dey think "viruses" will kill deyre psp if dey dont keep updatin....ive even explained to dem dat deyres onli been 1 psp virus on da net for psp n da onli way to get it is if u dl it...but dey dun believe me.
:confused: oh well... dey dun no wut deyre missin=P :D :cool:

alucard001
January 14th, 2007, 02:22
i think they are shipping them to other stores because shops run out quick. I recently could not find a refurbished or used psp at any store, they where all model M's but i got lucky and found a used TA-081 for $60
for 60 bucks, that is hella lucky, was the screen cracked or something?

idapimp
January 14th, 2007, 08:56
all my wal-mart has is the damn entertainment packs. all the core packs are now gone.

Emeriastone
January 14th, 2007, 10:18
It would be fascinating to think that these things are happening. But Sony has a lost a lot of money this year and I don't think they felt like losing more by recalling stuff that wasn't broken--

unless it was broken.

I suspect that this is a rumor, though I hope not. Something like this is important.

paulrichardson10
January 14th, 2007, 17:37

Thats tru... ma frends who have psp dont even kno about homebrew n da 1s dat ive told bout it dont wanna use it cuz dey think "viruses" will kill deyre psp if dey dont keep updatin....ive even explained to dem dat deyres onli been 1 psp virus on da net for psp n da onli way to get it is if u dl it...but dey dun believe me.

are you speaking english?

LilSwish722
January 14th, 2007, 19:04
im getting tired of sony's crap. my psp has been under my bed for about 2 months now and hasnt been touched. im thinkin of selling it. and this is exactly why.

acn010
January 14th, 2007, 19:14
h,,..... yeah, a battle, and thier risking themselve losing money!!!

xcjzerox
January 14th, 2007, 19:24

he is speaking ghetto trust me I understand

Artemis-kun
January 15th, 2007, 16:01
Having spent a few Christmases in retail, I seriously doubt this is any sort of a recall. As has been suggested, it is more than likely just a merchandising shift. January through about April are generally the slowest months for retail, and after the Christmas rush and extended Boxing Day specials that exist now, there tends to be a large volume of stock remaining at some stores, and less at others, so likely they are just shifting stock around to balance current supply and demand.