PDA

View Full Version : C++ to eboot??

AvengedSevenfold Fan
January 13th, 2007, 21:56
i just started C++. i got a book called Beggining C++ Game Programming by Micheal Dawson. Its very well explained so far, and the CD that comes with it is very helpful too, i recommend it.

anyway, aside from the book talk, how do you convert your C++ code into a PSP eboot? do u need a different IDE or something? If so which one?:confused:

gunntims0103
January 13th, 2007, 22:10
You need a compiler. I suggest using this guide to set up a compiler on your computer to compile source codes into psp usable eboots.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25564&highlight=compiler

Good luck!

AvengedSevenfold Fan
January 13th, 2007, 22:31
thanks, do i need to edit any of my code for it to run on the psp, or do i just leave it as is?

Malksta
January 13th, 2007, 22:34
http://www.psp-programming.com/tutorials/ - This may help you.

gunntims0103
January 13th, 2007, 22:35
thanks, do i need to edit any of my code for it to run on the psp, or do i just leave it as is?

well i never really fully got into C++ coding, but yes you will have to change parts of your source code to compile it into a psp usable eboot. Changing the makefile, screen vendering (if any), memory usage ect....

Im not a pro at C++, i know yaustar is more than qualified to give his two sence in this topic as he's a experienced coder all around. Maybe he'll get hold of this thread.....

AvengedSevenfold Fan
January 14th, 2007, 02:37
i wonder if when i release my first thing, which should be in a few months (something very small) if ill be the youngest C++ coder 4 da psp...

yaustar
January 14th, 2007, 02:39
In a nutshell, any code that is platform specific such as DirectX, needs to be rewritten to work with the system you are porting it to. For the PSP, this means rewriting the rendering code to GU.

Since the book only deals with text based code (command prompt), you may have some difficulties with input for the PSP.

I tend to use Code::Blocks IDE with the DevKitPSP compiler for PSP programming. I use the same IDE with other compilers to deal with other platforms as well.

http://www.psp-programming.com/forums/index.php?topic=1363.msg12461#msg12461

Malksta
January 14th, 2007, 02:51
i wonder if when i release my first thing, which should be in a few months (something very small) if ill be the youngest C++ coder 4 da psp...

Thats what you think ;)

cout << "I am younger than you and I compiled coded a Hello World App =)";

To those REAL coders, ( Dont joke of this, I'm too young to even know what C/C++ is :p)

AvengedSevenfold Fan
January 16th, 2007, 17:55
anyone can make a hello world app. how old r u??

Accordion
January 16th, 2007, 19:05
anyone can make a hello world app. how old r u??

don't be so patronising !!!

i know i couldn't

but good luck

Tinnus
January 16th, 2007, 23:11
I hope you're at least 14 or 15. Learning C completely right (read: all kinds of pointers) before that is considered impossible by me :p

And at least 16 or 17 to learn C++. Boy, too much OOP in there.

Although a 12-year-old could learn assembly easily. :)

splodger15
January 17th, 2007, 16:24
I am going to be learning C++ later this year. Although i know some of the basics already. But i am going to finish on Lua first

vision
January 18th, 2007, 03:33
I hope you're at least 14 or 15. Learning C completely right (read: all kinds of pointers) before that is considered impossible by me :p

Dude dont be so sure im only 13 but i learn fast as heck, If it was summer and i didnt have bball practise after school, I could probly learn c++ in a month

Tinnus
January 26th, 2007, 01:32
The problem is getting the concepts (OOP for C++ and pointers for C) behind it right, not learning the language. You need time to swallow them right, even if not actually doing something with them.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
January 26th, 2007, 20:48
im 14, though i think ill be fine. im in really high classes and really good with math, so im giving it a shot. and actually, i think im just gonna work on windows apps b4 i compile something to run on the psp.

m0th
January 28th, 2007, 04:54
10 Print "Hello World!"
20 Input ":", response$
30 if response$ = "hello" then end
40 if response$ = "goodbye" then goto 100
50 goto 10
100 run "fcuku.bat"

baracki96
January 28th, 2007, 05:08
funny I thumbed through "Beginning C++ Game Programming" by Micheal Dawson at Borders today. Almost picked it up but decided to order it for cheaper on amazon. My question is; If I learned to code in Lua well, would that make c or c++ easier to learn, or are they completely unrelated?

juggaleaux
January 28th, 2007, 08:14
C++ is much more robust and complex than Lua.

It's like Photoshop vs Mario Paint.

splodger15
January 28th, 2007, 09:50
^ ^
True but not everyone knows C++. But Lua is still a powerfull language

LilSwish722
January 30th, 2007, 15:37
C++ is much more robust and complex than Lua.

It's like Photoshop vs Mario Paint.

I LOVE MARIO PAINT :thumbup: lol. but yea, Lua is easier than C++. All you need to do to figure this out is code a lil in LUA then Code in C++ and u will see the difference

AvengedSevenfold Fan
January 30th, 2007, 18:27
funny I thumbed through "Beginning C++ Game Programming" by Micheal Dawson at Borders today. Almost picked it up but decided to order it for cheaper on amazon. My question is; If I learned to code in Lua well, would that make c or c++ easier to learn, or are they completely unrelated?

yea i got mine from amazon