PDA

View Full Version : Woman dies of 'water intoxication' after radio contest

wraggster
January 13th, 2007, 23:47
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/13/woman-dies-of-water-intoxication-after-radio-contest/)

A preliminary autopsy states that a woman died of "water intoxication" following a water drinking contest for a Nintendo Wii. News10 in Sacramento reports Station 107.9 The End's "Hold your wee for a Wii" contest had contestants doing exactly what the title says. The winner was the person who didn't release their bladder the longest. According to the woman's co-worker, after the contest, "She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad ... she was crying and that was the last that anyone had heard from her." The co-workers contacted the woman's mother later on to check up how she was doing and she discovered the body. No word yet on how much water the woman consumed.

sakamoto
January 14th, 2007, 00:08
i feel sorry but lmfao at the same time

SwordOfZork
January 14th, 2007, 00:19

Insensitive prick...

Elven6
January 14th, 2007, 00:59
Thats pretty sad, why didn't she go after it was over?

Zion
January 14th, 2007, 01:16

show a little compasion at least :(

its not funny in the slightest :mad:

steve-b
January 14th, 2007, 01:18
It's not 'holding it in' that kills you. I imagine the station made them load up on water. Drinking too much water in a short space of time is really bad for you. Your body can't process the fluid quickly enough and your brain swells up.

Zion
January 14th, 2007, 02:16
Please stop insulting people, warned...

and again its not funny in the slighest.

the attitude of some people discusts me

Vega
January 14th, 2007, 02:21
Jesus christ, how much more insensitive can some of you people be? It isnt the slightest bit funny. Grow up.

The Hombrew Hunter
January 14th, 2007, 02:50
Actually, human waste will become toxic if it remains in the body for quite a while.

It could have been anything like that.

Miria
January 14th, 2007, 03:30
Sad. She did it for the Kids.

Shadowblind
January 14th, 2007, 05:18
Da*n what the he*l... I have never felt more hatred for the Wii and those bast***s who held the contest...

shadowprophet
January 14th, 2007, 06:27
And anyone who thinks this is funny is a terrible example of a human being.

The next user that has one wise crack about this awful event will receive a 3 day bann and one guaranteed Permanente infraction point.

So go ahead let those giggles fly:mad:

Is'lan
January 14th, 2007, 07:00
Da*n what the he*l... I have never felt more hatred for the Wii and those bast***s who held the contest...

The contest holders yes, but how is this the Wii's fault? Unless Nintendo supported the event. It must have seemed quite safe at the time, I don't think many people would think that drinking a lot of water can prove lethal.

And before someone can make a snide remark, "drinking" water is not the same thing as getting water in your lungs, so I am of course not referring to drowning.

Dbgtgoten
January 14th, 2007, 08:26
wow...thats intense...i mean at one point i would have done it too for a wii and would have taken a piss afterwards really badly. Anyone know how long this contest went on for? considering the amount of time it had to be hours....i know if you hold in your pee too long you can get poisoned from it since its all the toxins and shit....really bad news and really bad publicity on top of that...dun blame the wii blame the radio station they told em to do that the wii didn't neither did any japs...still...hopefully the radio will give something to the family...really messed up...

quzar
January 14th, 2007, 09:00
Actually, human waste will become toxic if it remains in the body for quite a while.

no. that's not it at all. death via water intoxication usually happens because you don't have enough salt in your body water. sodium helps contribute to electrolytes in the body. back in the day people took salt tablets, nowadays we have gatorade. it's kind of like the exact opposite of dying from dehydration.

strumstrum
January 14th, 2007, 11:24

hopefully someone will show the same insensitivity in your misfortunes one day..insensitive pratt.

Demolition49
January 14th, 2007, 11:27
Thats a sad story, were there no safety regulations?

Any one who finds it funny has a very twisted sense of humour.

Shadowblind
January 14th, 2007, 14:39
The contest holders yes, but how is this the Wii's fault? Unless Nintendo supported the event. It must have seemed quite safe at the time, I don't think many people would think that drinking a lot of water can prove lethal.

And before someone can make a snide remark, "drinking" water is not the same thing as getting water in your lungs, so I am of course not referring to drowning.

Its not the Wiis fault. Im sick of people getting hurt or killed over stupid game systems. First there was the mugging, then the beating, now stupid water drinking contest for a, of all things, Wii?

jstush04
January 14th, 2007, 16:23
yeah, this really isnt funny. all i can think of is how lighthearted the whole affair must have been, and just how disastrous this is. so sad.

i wonder why she didnt throw up? i thought the body rejects stuff when it gets too much of it

Kramer
January 14th, 2007, 16:38
i wonder why she didnt throw up? i thought the body rejects stuff when it gets too much of it

Yeah by taking a piss but the whole competition is about holding it in.

Sad story hopefully the kids got the Wii in the end.

iniquitous_beast
January 14th, 2007, 17:10
I did not see anything in the post to indicate that she had children. It is feasible that she simply wanted a wii for herself. However, if she was in fact trying to win the wii for her children, that radio company had better give them a lot more than just the wii.

The radio station better fork over enough money to support those kids through college. Seriously, a wii is no compensation for a lost mother and a ruined childhood.

Would the kids even want a wii after this contest? Its very namesake was the inspiration that made this tragedy possible.

LilSwish722
January 14th, 2007, 18:39
yea this is a tradgedy. i agree with what iniquitous beast said. they better support the kids.

slappy1
January 14th, 2007, 23:10
I did not see anything in the post to indicate that she had children. It is feasible that she simply wanted a wii for herself. However, if she was in fact trying to win the wii for her children, that radio company had better give them a lot more than just the wii.

The radio station better fork over enough money to support those kids through college. Seriously, a wii is no compensation for a lost mother and a ruined childhood.

Would the kids even want a wii after this contest? Its very namesake was the inspiration that made this tragedy possible.

Too Bad. I would not put myself at risk of death for a stupid Wii. I have one now, but I paid for it.

I'm sure the radio station had the contestants sign contracts, waiving any personal liability. Althought it would look bad on their part, to not apologize.

If she had to hold her wee for a Wii, I doubt she could afford college for any of her children anyhow.

There needs to be a Wiimote Television breaking contest, that would be cool. They should call the "The Real Wii Sports".

But seriously I cracked myself in the head, playing the Monkey Ballz Hammer Throw game.

Bottom Line, The Wii will hurt your ass, physically and financially.

LilSwish722
January 14th, 2007, 23:29
MOnkey Ballz?...eh...anyways. if they really wouldnt apoligize, someone should boycott that radio station or refuse to do anything with them until the make amends

Vegetable
January 15th, 2007, 08:26
And anyone who thinks this is funny is a terrible example of a human being.

The next user that has one wise crack about this awful event will receive a 3 day bann and one guaranteed Permanente infraction point.

So go ahead let those giggles fly:mad:

Praytell, where in the rules does it state that you are not allowed to find death funny (and this is a classic case of death by self-inflicted stupidity)?

*Edit by SP.
Lets put it this way vegetable. I've been at dcemu for a while now. Over time I've gained the respect of my peers. While I can not ban someone for just any reason.
MY peers do respect me to a point, that if I find something unacceptable, Like the inhuman ridicule of a tragic situation such as this. They will out of respect look the other way. While I Do what i feel must be done.

Meaning vegetable. There are some mods here that would reason with you on this stipulation. However Im not one of them..

If you continue to belittle this tragic situation. I will perm bann you by my own hand.
And I promise. No one in administration will overturn that decision. out of sheer respect.

Now in light of the way things are. don't you feel its better for you to just walk away from this issue. If not. Id be happy to go a round two with you. However i promise this next time. It wont be a simple 1 day ban.

shadowprophet
January 15th, 2007, 08:55
I think you should examine your posts more carefully before you post them there vegetable.

Christuserloeser
January 15th, 2007, 13:08
It's not 'holding it in' that kills you. I imagine the station made them load up on water. Drinking too much water in a short space of time is really bad for you. Your body can't process the fluid quickly enough and your brain swells up.

no. that's not it at all. death via water intoxication usually happens because you don't have enough salt in your body water. sodium helps contribute to electrolytes in the body. back in the day people took salt tablets, nowadays we have gatorade. it's kind of like the exact opposite of dying from dehydration.

Yup, actually you can't drink too much, but if you drink a lot too quickly (we're talking about several liters in a few minutes) it's like you wash out all salt and minerals.

Women need to be even more careful. Because of the menstruation they loose a lot of literally everything a human body needs to live each month.

Some Wikipedia links on this topic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolyte_imbalance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Mr_Squirt
January 15th, 2007, 13:21
it may not be funny but it does seem a little stupid that it did happen. the people hosting the competition clearly should have been aware of the possible side effects of consuming too much water. but equally id expect most people in general to be aware of the consequences of too much water, but maybe i'm just expecting too much of people.

SSaxdude
January 15th, 2007, 14:46
I read this in the newspaper yesterday, it sucks.

Nicko01
January 15th, 2007, 15:34
that sucks. But it does remind me of this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3481700092147454612&q=dane+cook+bees&hl=en
(no, I am not saying its funny, its terrable)