PDA

View Full Version : Interfacing with PSP-290 GPS unit from Sony

deniska
January 15th, 2007, 08:16
Below is a little "proof of concept" program that shows how to interface with PSP-290 GPS receiver from Sony.
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/greenprog.jpg

The binaries and source can be obtained @ http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/PSP290TEST.rar

INSTALLATION:
This program was coded and tested for custom 3.03 OE-B firmware.
1) Place camprx folder in the root of your memory stick
2) Place GPS_290_TEST folder in to /PSP/GAME303/ or whatever folder is setup to be ran under 3.03 kernel.
3) Connect your gps receiver and run the program...

CREDITS:
johnmph,psyberjock,deniska

Emeriastone
January 15th, 2007, 08:28
Hold on, if I read you right,

does this mean in the future it's possible to use the Sony GPS device with your map software??

This is still very impressive, and if it works out I will be ecstatic.

Psyberjock
January 15th, 2007, 08:44
So it looks like you found the problem with the negative latitude. What was wrong? (If you don't mind my asking.)

deniska
January 15th, 2007, 08:44
Hold on, if I read you right,

does this mean in the future it's possible to use the Sony GPS device with your map software??

Sure, that was the idea from the beginning...
Should not be too long until MapThis would support the PSP-290...

deniska
January 15th, 2007, 08:46
So it looks like you found the problem with the negative latitude. What was wrong? (If you don't mind my asking.)
Looks like it was a bug in 2.71 FW's usbgps.prx module...

Emeriastone
January 15th, 2007, 08:46
Sure, that was the idea from the beginning...
Should not be too long until MapThis would support the PSP-290...

I can't tell you how excited I am. Just looking at your GPS applications has made me all drooly.

Mew
January 15th, 2007, 11:51
oh myy gooooooooooooooooooooood!! :eek:
amazing work!! :)
as soon as your nice mapthis supports the GPS receiver from sony, I'll buy one :thumbup:

dpathic2001
January 15th, 2007, 12:16
.....and donate to the DEV Cause I hope! :)

Is the PRX fix directly related to the fact that at an earlier stage the quality of the Sony Module was in question?

Great work!

l00t3r
January 15th, 2007, 13:06
Great work Deniska!

I've been using your mapping software since it came out :) and I really love all you do.

Would there be any chance of us seeing an usb port to the gpslim? or would it be completelly different from sony's gps unit...
I ended up buying the gpslim hah.

and another thing when I upgraded to the new map this 0.4.6 it started giving me negative longitude... now I can't use my gps anymore :(

Anyways I wanted to congrat you for the huge progress !

scarph
January 15th, 2007, 14:04
this is very nice
im sure sony will charge for their gps service and youll have to connect it to a ps3

gemjobim
January 15th, 2007, 14:06
HI! 1st post Alert!!!
[i am a green psp noob, however i do have some experience with handheld devices, and am beginner/novice with electronics (meaning i can build stuff with instructions)]

this is such great timing!
i Revel in what i have read of Deniska's determination! he/you are a PSP GURU of LEGEND!!

I'm going to start off by apologizing to Everyone.
cuz, I am about to ask some rather dumb questions, these that i cant really seem to find answers for. please find it in your hearts to forgive me. ;)

also, i dont have any hardware yet to do anything gps related with the psp. the reason for this post is to weigh my options about whether i should go the Deniska gps mouse method route or buy a jap psp-290 and follow this.

okay 'ere goes..

1st one is a 2 parter with a sub question:

1) will the psp-290, currently be recognized if connected to a standard usa psp, (without any hw modifications) or would i need a jap psp?

1a) if the psp-290 is currently being recognized while connected to a usa psp using whatever firmware, what is the biggest obstacle 'Currently' keeping it from working as well as the 'Deniska gps mouse method' interfacing with 'Deniska's home brew Gps software using Google maps'?

2) i would favor using the psp-290. since it's very small and attaches to the top. but, would it just be best to use the gps mouse method, instead of waiting for the possibility of a usa version psp-290 never coming ?

3) comparatively. -in the foresee-able future.- will could there be any big usage differences between the Deniska gps mouse method an this one you are working toward? for instance, does anyone think users will be able to do more with a usa psp-290, or will the only difference be asthetics?

4)if the jap psp-290 is working with usa psp's and the only thing keeping this from being capable of being used without hassle is time. who do i need to donate to, so that i may thank them for there kindly spent time?

thank you for your time. :)

E.J.
January 15th, 2007, 15:06
The PSP-290 works on any region PSP...

Well... i think i'm gonna buy it, the only thing that was keeping me from buying it was the support from deniska app...

Psyberjock
January 15th, 2007, 15:47
.....and donate to the DEV Cause I hope! :)

Is the PRX fix directly related to the fact that at an earlier stage the quality of the Sony Module was in question?

Great work!

That's what he was saying.

okay 'ere goes..

1st one is a 2 parter with a sub question:

1) will the psp-290, currently be recognized if connected to a standard usa psp, (without any hw modifications) or would i need a jap psp?

1a) if the psp-290 is currently being recognized while connected to a usa psp using whatever firmware, what is the biggest obstacle 'Currently' keeping it from working as well as the 'Deniska gps mouse method' interfacing with 'Deniska's home brew Gps software using Google maps'?

2) i would favor using the psp-290. since it's very small and attaches to the top. but, would it just be best to use the gps mouse method, instead of waiting for the possibility of a usa version psp-290 never coming ?

3) comparatively. -in the foresee-able future.- will could there be any big usage differences between the Deniska gps mouse method an this one you are working toward? for instance, does anyone think users will be able to do more with a usa psp-290, or will the only difference be asthetics?

4)if the jap psp-290 is working with usa psp's and the only thing keeping this from being capable of being used without hassle is time. who do i need to donate to, so that i may thank them for there kindly spent time?

thank you for your time. :)

1> any psp is ok.
1a> currently time
2> usa usb gps may or may not come, but support for both is coming. the gps mouse has better reception though.
3> see #2 and also, the usb gps can be used in officially licensed games that support gps.
4> it's up to you.

sorry for this last part being so crappily typed. its dark and I'm about to goto sleep. later!

dpathic2001
January 15th, 2007, 16:59
Awsome, was always gonna donate but have now!

No pressure for the Mapthis compatability tho! ;-p

Video_freak
January 15th, 2007, 17:10
oh myy gooooooooooooooooooooood!! :eek:
amazing work!! :)
as soon as your nice mapthis supports the GPS receiver from sony, I'll buy one :thumbup:

Me too! :)

Awesome work man!

Knobee
January 15th, 2007, 17:46
Just got my PSP-290 today and this being posted on the same day seems to say that something good is about to happen!

Thanks for the work guys! If you need another tester in the mid-Atlantic region of the US, let me know.

As for those asking about the "quality" of the PSP-290 unit.. it's amazingly small. I was able to pick up (and lock onto) 7 sats in the parking lot here at work. Not sure how that differs from my Garmin 60cs, but I'll test it tomorrow. My one wish at this point is that the PSP-290 had the thumb-screws at both ends and not just on one side, but that's just me.

ROCK ON!
Knobee

MIB.42
January 15th, 2007, 17:46
Deniska, can you please run a comparison for satellite signal strength between your different GPS receivers?

I wonder which one provides the best reception...

Thank you!

deniska
January 15th, 2007, 17:55
Great work Deniska!

I've been using your mapping software since it came out :) and I really love all you do.

Would there be any chance of us seeing an usb port to the gpslim? or would it be completelly different from sony's gps unit...
I ended up buying the gpslim hah.

and another thing when I upgraded to the new map this 0.4.6 it started giving me negative longitude... now I can't use my gps anymore :(

Anyways I wanted to congrat you for the huge progress !
I doubt that it's going to be easy or possible at all to make gpsslim236 to connect to psp via usb.

about the lon problem.. well this is still a beta, so things like this are possible..
Can you capture your gps data and attach gps.txt file to this thread?
Where are you located?

vitalik2k
January 15th, 2007, 17:56
good work. that exactly i wanted. thanks deniska. no more resistors, wires, soldering.

deniska
January 15th, 2007, 22:38
Deniska, can you please run a comparison for satellite signal strength between your different GPS receivers?

I wonder which one provides the best reception...

Thank you!
I can only compare PSP-290 and GPSlim236.
GPSlim236 is more sensitive. It "sees" & locks on to more satelites and has much smaller "time to first fix" which is ~40 seconds..
With Sony unit, it takes me 3-4 minutes to finally get the fix. Of course, it could be just my unit...

Actually, the usbgps driver has a metod to setup the initial location, which seems to take 0,1 or 2 as input.
Perhaps setting a correct value can reduce time to first fix... If someone has time to test this theory, please experiment with the program (you can change the initial location with [O] & [SQUARE]

lOOt3r
January 16th, 2007, 04:30
I doubt that it's going to be easy or possible at all to make gpsslim236 to connect to psp via usb.

about the lon problem.. well this is still a beta, so things like this are possible..
Can you capture your gps data and attach gps.txt file to this thread?
Where are you located?

This is what I love about you don't just read the threads you answer them :)

I live around Wash. DC (Northen VA) and here is the file you asked for:

http://download.yousendit.com/A879132E1899B800

it was working with the 0.4 version :) but it doesn't with 0.4.6

Hope it helps on the development and if you need anything just ask up
PS. :
Had some trouble with my login and had to creat a new one :(

Knobee
January 16th, 2007, 12:59
Actually, the usbgps driver has a metod to setup the initial location, which seems to take 0,1 or 2 as input.

Perhaps setting a correct value can reduce time to first fix... If someone has time to test this theory, please experiment with the program (you can change the initial location with [O] & [SQUARE]

Might the "Initial Location" take as parameters the "past known good location" (ie, the location at which the device was when powered off)? I know that my Garmin GPS devices all lock MUCH faster if they are powered back on at the same location at which they were when powered off, even if several hours later.

Just a thought... heading off to the dev forums to read more of the background.

Thanks for the work you guys are doing..

Knobee

deniska
January 16th, 2007, 14:43
This is what I love about you don't just read the threads you answer them :)

I live around Wash. DC (Northen VA) and here is the file you asked for:

http://download.yousendit.com/A879132E1899B800

it was working with the 0.4 version :) but it doesn't with 0.4.6

Hope it helps on the development and if you need anything just ask up
PS. :
Had some trouble with my login and had to creat a new one :(

You have attached the sample gps file that comes along with NYC map.. Could that be that you are reading from a sample file rather than your gps device?
make sure FAKEFEED is set to 0 in config.txt file...

deniska
January 16th, 2007, 14:48
Might the "Initial Location" take as parameters the "past known good location" (ie, the location at which the device was when powered off)? I know that my Garmin GPS devices all lock MUCH faster if they are powered back on at the same location at which they were when powered off, even if several hours later.

Knobee
So far I could not find any methods in the gps driver API that would take 2 floats for the lat/lon coordinates...

Psyberjock
January 16th, 2007, 22:40
So far I could not find any methods in the gps driver API that would take 2 floats for the lat/lon coordinates...

Well, I know that this is how the GPS is supposed to be working (the resume function). It's in the documentation that if you put the GPS into sleep mode then restart it, the GPS can restart faster from that position the next time.

A Fn NOOB
January 17th, 2007, 02:06
With any GPS reciever, you need a clear view of the sky. A GPS reciever is nothing more than a radio reciever, tuned to the frequency of various satellites in space.

If you use the Sony GPS reciever, your PSP is going to need to have a clear view of the sky.

If you use a GPS 'Mouse' connected to the serial port, only the GPS 'Mouse' needs to have a clear view of the sky.

One advantage I see for using the Sony GPS might be that it frees up the serial port for other things. (Like a 2-meter radio for APRS)
:thumbup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APRS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System

tigerjk1410
January 17th, 2007, 06:37
thank you for the awesome work you're doing...i've been waiting for usb support so that i can buy the sony gps and/or a different gps with usb...hopefully both of them will be supported in the near future

tip of the hat to you.

tomkungnarak
January 17th, 2007, 17:30
Thank you very much Deniska. I bought GPS PSP here in USA online since Dec. Can you believe i Just opened the box yesterday after reading this topic!!

I have HOluxslim one but I use it with my PDA phone. So, i haven't try that yet. However, i'm looking forward for this new coming capability. Once again, thank you very much for your effort.

PS. Sorry for my english, it's my third language. :P

lOOt3r
January 17th, 2007, 19:35
You have attached the sample gps file that comes along with NYC map.. Could that be that you are reading from a sample file rather than your gps device?
make sure FAKEFEED is set to 0 in config.txt file...

sorry about that I probably sent the wrong file....
I reformated my stick to make sure it wasn't me and sent you that file... now it all works....

I guess there was something wrong with my stick ..

Sorry

Ursus
January 17th, 2007, 19:42
Wow amazing work! Keep it up and let us know what we can do to help! take care~

Psyberjock
January 18th, 2007, 01:02
I've been thinking about the Initial Location thing. Perhaps there wouldn't be a second set of Lat and Long, because the PSP saves the state of the memory when it goes into sleep mode. Then the GPS unit only has to keep the current coordinates in their current place and when it realizes that it's powering up, it would change the flag of the initial location. Then by checking that flag it would know if those coordinates are current or old. It can also do a time check to figure out where the satellites should now be. Then if they're not where they should be, it can start finding them again.

This idea seems to fit with my current experience with the device. Any thoughts?

deniska
January 18th, 2007, 06:20
From what I see, it seems that the driver or the device have 3 initial position aquisition algorithms which can be passed to the device via sceUsbGpsSetInitDataLocation() method.
(since the method only accepts 0, 1 & 2 as parameters...

In any case, I am extremely dissapointed with the reception quailty of the device...
Even after the initial fix it tends to loose the fix frequently or tune on to "bad" combination of satellites, resulting in a high horizontal dilusion of presision (HDOP)...
I did a 10 minute test drive with a new version of MapThis! (with usbgps support). During this test the Sony unit lost the coordinates ~10 times, thrown the display location ~70 meters off the actual coordinates ~3 times (put the marker half a block away with incorrect bearing and HDOP >30)
Also, I could not get the initial fix inside the car, so I had to step out, walk away from nearby buildings and wait for ~ 3 minutes...

My holux gpslim236 unit would get a fix inside the car within ~50 seconds and have a stable fix with ~10m accuracy in the same area... :-(

So I am not sure if the sony unit is going to be useful for any serious navigation in urban areas...

I imagine that Maplus sowtware gets away with this bad gps reception quality by approximating the last known location to the nearest road (sticking to the road) which is impossible to implement in current version of MapThis...

Perhaps someone could disassemble the unit and find a way to atach an active anntenna (or any other way to increase the reception quality)

There is alway a chance that, somehow, I got a defective unit :-)

Ursus
January 18th, 2007, 07:29
From what I see, it seems that the driver or the device have 3 initial position aquisition algorithms which can be passed to the device via sceUsbGpsSetInitDataLocation() method.
(since the method only accepts 0, 1 & 2 as parameters...

In any case, I am extremely dissapointed with the reception quailty of the device...
Even after the initial fix it tends to loose the fix frequently or tune on to "bad" combination of satellites, resulting in a high horizontal dilusion of presision (HDOP)...
I did a 10 minute test drive with a new version of MapThis! (with usbgps support). During this test the Sony unit lost the coordinates ~10 times, thrown the display location ~70 meters off the actual coordinates ~3 times (put the marker half a block away with incorrect bearing and HDOP >30)
Also, I could not get the initial fix inside the car, so I had to step out, walk away from nearby buildings and wait for ~ 3 minutes...

My holux gpslim236 unit would get a fix inside the car within ~50 seconds and have a stable fix with ~10m accuracy in the same area... :-(

So I am not sure if the sony unit is going to be useful for any serious navigation in urban areas...

I imagine that Maplus sowtware gets away with this bad gps reception quality by approximating the last known location to the nearest road (sticking to the road) which is impossible to implement in current version of MapThis...

Perhaps someone could disassemble the unit and find a way to atach an active anntenna (or any other way to increase the reception quality)

There is alway a chance that, somehow, I got a defective unit :-)

Hi Deniska, thank you for putting so much effort into this although the result was not satisfactory. I was wondering if you are going to release this new version of MapThis so maybe (and let's hope) we can prove that your PSP-290 was defective ;) Furthermore, different ppl around the globe can test out the same unit at different locations and see if same setbacks appear. Regardless what will happen, we sincerely thank you again.

Ursus

bunky666
January 18th, 2007, 09:41
Hi everyone

I'm a total noob with all this homebrew stuff, but bought a 290gps in hong kong just before Christmas. I'm back in London now, and last night finally upgraded my FW to 3.03 by dark alex. Yay!

Deniska - firstly, along with all others who've said it - well done for your sterling efforts. You're clearly a genius.

I tested your 'test' software last night, and was so happy to find it worked! Mrs Bunky wasn't too impressed with me keep nipping outside in the cold/wet evening, but it did see 8 sats almost straight away. It gave me a long/lat (which was acurate) pretty quickly - around 1 minute. I don't have any other gps gear so I have no idea if it's good or bad or indeed quick or slow, but I was happy with it anyway. Very keen to see it running with 'map this'.

I'm mac based, so I've no idea yet how to make maps, (ie you're clever app doesn't seem to like my machine!) - any ideas with that would be a huge help.

Keep up the good work!

harbintennis
January 18th, 2007, 16:32
I think the psp-290(*Worse searching satellite) that is not better than "DIY".

dpathic2001
January 18th, 2007, 21:25
Don't think your unit is defective I'm afraid...

I work in a company repairing UK Sat Nav units - We utillise a re-radiation transmiter/amp that enables internal GPS pickup for unit verification.
Even when the PSP-290 is sitting right next to the transmitter the same problems appear - around 3-5 SATs get fixed with decent SNRs only to disappear in around a minute. GPS state falls, when it reaches 3 again some Sats are re-established but seldom actuall fix again. All of this happens with the 290 unit not moving at all!

I so want this project and have donated recently but it is likely that the poor performance of the unit here is related to the unofficial software method of interfacing with the unit?

I've tried the Jap version of Mapplus but it just gets upset that I am in Fife, Scotland and not Osaka :-p

bunky666
January 18th, 2007, 22:05
I walked home tonight, over the Thames (fairly open area of London), and got a fix on 7 sats for around 10-15 mins without interuption (could see 10 most of the time). Acurate readings for my speed, baring, long and lat for all that time with no dropouts at all. Haven't had a chance to test it more than this at the moment though.

It's deffo not so good in built up areas - could see 4 or 5 sats walking in the street with offices around me, but no fix for 5 minutes. As soon as the landscape opened up, it fixed almost straight away. Once it's getting a fix, it seems to be holding it though.

Just tested again outside, (stationary) picked up 6-7 sats and a fix on 4, giving me an accurate lon/lat etc within 20 seconds of walking out into the street. Not a largely built up area I might add. Maybe it's me, but I think it seems pretty cool for a gps noobie such as myself.

dcemuUser25
January 18th, 2007, 22:14
Thanks for your great work, deniska.
I am anxiously waiting for the new version of MapThis that works with the psp attachment. :-)

Just a naive thought, would it be possible to port functions that have been used in Maplus to use that 'stick to the road' navigation in MapThis?

Cheers. Keep up the great work!!

deniska
January 18th, 2007, 22:18
I so want this project and have donated recently but it is likely that the poor performance of the unit here is related to the unofficial software method of interfacing with the unit?

I've tried the Jap version of Mapplus but it just gets upset that I am in Fife, Scotland and not Osaka :-p

You should be able to navigate to satellite status screen in Maplus.. (I believe it's the last option on the main menu)..please repeat your tests with maplus and let me know the results..
BTW, I am using the same driver version they bundle with their software.

Bigwreck
January 18th, 2007, 23:28
Hello, let me tell ya what I think.
I got a gpslim240 over Xmas, made a cable (with a headphone jack with the socom mic hack).
It works so well the I get a signal anywhere (except inside Wallmart) and It is so accurate for me that it even show what side of the rode im on lol. Plus its got bluetooth so when the psp is dead and long gone i still have an excelent gps .
I have never used the psp gps device but i could well imagine its prob crap compared to my 240.
great program deniska please keep compatability with the serial port, oh and the "stick to roads" thing sounds like a bad idea, what about moutian bikers and hikers etc..
Keep up the great work

deniska
January 18th, 2007, 23:29
I walked home tonight, over the Thames (fairly open area of London), and got a fix on 7 sats for around 10-15 mins without interuption (could see 10 most of the time). Acurate readings for my speed, baring, long and lat for all that time with no dropouts at all. Haven't had a chance to test it more than this at the moment though.

It's deffo not so good in built up areas - could see 4 or 5 sats walking in the street with offices around me, but no fix for 5 minutes. As soon as the landscape opened up, it fixed almost straight away. Once it's getting a fix, it seems to be holding it though.

Just tested again outside, (stationary) picked up 6-7 sats and a fix on 4, giving me an accurate lon/lat etc within 20 seconds of walking out into the street. Not a largely built up area I might add. Maybe it's me, but I think it seems pretty cool for a gps noobie such as myself.

Thanks for your test reports...
Try installing the new version of MapThis and let me know if it works for you...

DennyPSP
January 19th, 2007, 06:31
Thanks Deniska for your greater work.
Whether we in Russia Moscow with impatience wait your program with GPS from SONY will work...
I soon should receive GPS by postmail as soon as from there will be at me I shall test him with your program..
Once again many thanks...

Zed Exsix'r
January 19th, 2007, 11:46
I am new to this PSP thing, I just bought the Sony antena on eBay, cant wait for it to get here now.

Just a couple questions, on the instalation.

INSTALLATION:
This program was coded and tested for custom 3.03 OE-B firmware.
1) Place camprx folder in the root of your memory stick
2) Place GPS_290_TEST folder in to /PSP/GAME303/ or whatever folder is setup to be ran under 3.03 kernel.

What is considered the 'root' of the memory stick, I have the MPROOT folder for MP4's?

and how do you run the program? Will that option be there when the Antena is attached.

I am looking forward to this, will I have to find my own maps of Canada and the UK, or is the MapThis program complete?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am not that 'PSP SMRT'

And if it all works like my Tomtoms navigator, I will seriously be making a donation!!!

DennyPSP
January 23rd, 2007, 09:02
wow that gooooooood

Zed Exsix'r
January 24th, 2007, 20:22
Well, it doesnt work for me, I was hoping that this was a little simpler for someone not so familiar with PSP.

I do not have the gmdl tool, I do not see it in the folder. Where should I get this. Is it PC software.

Zed Exsix'r
January 25th, 2007, 19:33
Well, With a bit of help, i got everything done on the list, but how do I run it on the PSP?

-or-
4) Attach the usb gps-290 accessory and you should be good to go...

But how do I 'go'?

what do I type in on the web browser screen to run the program, I have tried different things:
file:/psp/game303/mapviewer/maps
file:/psp/game303/mapviewer/maps/gpsfs
file:/web/8x.html

I have read, and re read every post on this forum related to this, and I have read the WIKI Books document.
I just dont see it, anywhere?

Should I give up and eBay the PSP-290?

harpik
January 25th, 2007, 21:10
hummm ...

wich firmware do you have?
this program was coded and tested for custom 3.03 OE-B firmware <- NOT the official 3.03 firmware

if you have the folders in the correct places mapthis will be under Game -> MemoryStick

perhaps somebody can make an installer

PD: sorry for my poor english, i do my best ;)

Jes1FromFL
January 28th, 2007, 18:12
I've got a TA-082 motherboard & I'm trying to get the MapPlus! software to run w/ the GPS 290, but with no success on getting the GPS State to turn ON! I've tried enabling the usbhostfs plugin on startup, but that gives me an error when the program loads... How do I enable the GPS? Am I missing something here?

[edit]

I actually received a fix from pctechie that patches the corrupted usbhostfs...pm me if you need it! :)

GiUd@
February 18th, 2007, 10:50
sorry guys but i have a probelm
i've installed new 0.47 mapthis e this features today(gps-290TEST)
but i've a problem with both them, the usbgps.prx

the 2 software crash in loading "USB accessory module" that i yhink is usbgps.prx

what can i do?

schlumerace
March 7th, 2007, 03:47
I just got my PSPgps290 today but i am having problems. I am currently using the 2.71usbhost file and the 3.03 usbgps file. I am on 3.03OE-C. Using the test program i get results right away. I get on average 8 sats in view and locked on to 6 most of the time. This is inside my house by the way. I live in Michigan about 15 miles north of Detroit. Now i am running MapThis! .48. But for some reason it never connects to the sats. i've let it sit for 10 minutes with no results. My fakefeed is set to 0 but i still cant figure out the glitch.

_Shin_
March 7th, 2007, 18:05
Hi guys !

I just got a GPS-290. the test proggie with the provided prx worked for me :) (running on a 3.10OEA' psp 310kernel mode)

Thanks a lot Deniska for your work, and to evrybody who made this possible :)

I just tried to use the test proggie with 3.11 prx, but it didn't work for me :\ any ideas ? (I use the latest psardump and pressed "O")

so no newer prx than 2.71 usbacc 3.03 usbgps do work ??

EDIT: 303 of both prx extracted from fw with "O" didn't work either for me :\

deniska
March 7th, 2007, 18:33
3.03 gps prx's seem to work fine for me...

deniska
March 7th, 2007, 18:37
I just got my PSPgps290 today but i am having problems. I am currently using the 2.71usbhost file and the 3.03 usbgps file. I am on 3.03OE-C. Using the test program i get results right away. I get on average 8 sats in view and locked on to 6 most of the time. This is inside my house by the way. I live in Michigan about 15 miles north of Detroit. Now i am running MapThis! .48. But for some reason it never connects to the sats. i've let it sit for 10 minutes with no results. My fakefeed is set to 0 but i still cant figure out the glitch.

Capture and post the gps-info screen in mapthis.

schlumerace
March 7th, 2007, 19:13
Hey densika, you are amazing. I just was letting you know i got it to work. what i did was dumped teh 3.03 firmware and used those prx. I also realized that i need teh gps face to point directly at the sky. I was in downtown detroit today and had about 4 bars of signal and it was working great. althought there were a few times when the signal would get low and i was apparently driving through buildings but other then that it worked great. I also downgraded to .47, it just seemed to work better. anways thanks for replying so quickly.

nicky66
March 27th, 2007, 13:29
hi!

say, i have a question!
apart from the GPS stuff, how is the USB handled? i mean the psp's usb is not supposed to be usbhost right? so is the gps receiver real USB or some kind of non-standard stuff on a USB connector?

is the psp-290 a kind of serial-via-USB guest? but it's powered ?

the wondering behind this is simply "if we can plug a camera and a GPS module, then why not any USB peripheral? more selfishly why not my 1.8 HDD ?! :p "

skiingdomo
March 29th, 2007, 12:45
Hi

Major problem guys. have tried 3.03 and 2.71 prx files.

Have TA-082 psp, and have tried with 3.03 OE C and 3.10 OE software.

My GPS-290 comes up as in the off state. Map This doesnt detect it. The Green prog crashes / just shows loading USB GPS.

Has anyone had this problem? know a fix?

[edit]
I messed around with the prx files, and now I can get the green proggie going, but the gps state is still in off.
http://i12.tinypic.com/2afcz2e.jpg

If i start the program without the GPS plugged in, the screen shows exactly the same.

Any ideas? if anyone can send me a prx set which the verified works with their gps, that would be great. skiingdomo # gmail . com

cheers

tigerjk1410
March 30th, 2007, 18:12
hey guys just letting you know that play-asia is having a one week sale on the GPS-290 which now is $47.92.

hurry up before time runs out! this sale ends April 5th

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bh-49-en-70-1mij.html

stickfigure
April 2nd, 2007, 06:54
Hi, i was just trying out my new PSP-290 GPS receiver which i bought specifically for "Map This!" by Densika. Having some problems, 0 satellites... I find nothing, Im using 3.10 OE-A' and i read that people with my firmware were able to get at least this GPS testing utility to work. I have the 3.10 prxs in the camprx folder and the GPS_290_TEST folder in the 310 folder, is there anything else I'm doing wrong, because no matter how clear the sky, I'm just not getting any satellites at all, it;s like it's not even searching for anything... If possible, some who know anf can help me, plz send me a PM or post a reply to me here... Thank you...

BaDaPpLe
April 5th, 2007, 19:24
Dunno if this has been mentioned or not but the reason some people might be having issues may be releated to idStorage when they downgraded there psp's. It seems a few keys were left behind, most noticable is one that is directly related to USB. Apps like psp extream link wont run. Anyway there is a new program out there called KeyCleaner I tried it it did fix my problems. These were not related to psp-290 or mapthis. I have no idea if this will help or not, its just an idea. I dont even have a psp-290 I have a GPSslim-236..

gab6440
April 6th, 2007, 12:06
hello,
I have a probleme...my gps 290 do not function
on my psp TA.082 (downgrade in 3.03 OE-C).
I read that the problem came from the idstorage...
can you help me?

thanks

ps: I'm french and I don't speak english very well...sorry!

gab6440
April 6th, 2007, 17:40
sorry i'm on 3.10OE-A'. please help me :(

losinc
April 19th, 2007, 06:15
i'm using 3.30oe-a & PSP-290

the test app works i can connect to at least 5 or 6 satellites
but ever time i try to run MapThis! i get error "loading usb accessory module.... error"

what am i not doing correctly
i don't have a TA-86 board
i've never touched my hostusb file
can some one enlighten me on what
i am over looking
Thank you in Advanced for your help
and big up deniska!http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

-los

deniska
April 19th, 2007, 06:18
did you copy the required *.prx files in to program's folder?

losinc
April 19th, 2007, 13:41
did you copy the required *.prx files in to program's folder?
i did just that and now the program loads up
but crashes i'm using the psp-290 eboot
and i followd all the steps via the TUT
-los

cybertai
April 26th, 2007, 13:40
I'm having the same Problem too .. 3.30, reboot on the blue screen .. placed folders on GAME150 and running kernal 1.5

deniska
April 26th, 2007, 15:49
run it with 3.xx kernel not 1.5

cybertai
April 27th, 2007, 04:45
Okay.. my mistake was that i forgot to rename my GAME310 to GAME330 .. did that and now all is working fine!!!

JingleX
April 27th, 2007, 15:30
Deniska, My mapthis prog only works if i run in 1.5kernel and i put it in game310 folder... And i deleted the %folder of the mapthis program. Now im only left with 1 mapthis folder in my 310 folder. works this way for me.

Pastavagn
April 28th, 2007, 18:34
Hey.
First off, i have cruised this forum the past 2 days.So many informations and so much help.Thanks for that.
I have the 290gps and 3.30.
This program works fine.It shows up to 8 sats at certain points.
But it wont fix on any of them.I tried to let the program run for 20 min, it only shows sats.
Am i missing something???
Mapthis is also working fine but it can locate the GPS.
Im going nuts, is it because its cloudy?

Thx in Advance

deniska
April 29th, 2007, 06:04
Hey.
First off, i have cruised this forum the past 2 days.So many informations and so much help.Thanks for that.
I have the 290gps and 3.30.
This program works fine.It shows up to 8 sats at certain points.
But it wont fix on any of them.I tried to let the program run for 20 min, it only shows sats.
Am i missing something???
Mapthis is also working fine but it can locate the GPS.
Im going nuts, is it because its cloudy?

Thx in Advance
everything seem to be working (in terms of software)
I would try to exchange the PSP-290 unit for another one...
also try following:
- switch to 111mhz (from gps info screen)
- don't move while fixing on staellites...
- try to adjust the angle of the device vs PSP

Pastavagn
April 29th, 2007, 07:14
Ok.
Where is the info screen?
When i press start in MAPTHIS i get ACTION menu but there is nothing to choose.
Perhpaps this is the reason sony hasent released this in Europe

EDIT:
Today i took a ride outside town and viola it worked.So its also working in Denmark.
Thx for ALL your good work!

Offtopic: About a car stand there is 4-5 different ones on ebay.I seem to have seen Deniska mention something about one in particular but i cant find it.Anyone know wich is good?

marcellomarchese
May 3rd, 2007, 23:20
try to change prx files

JesusXP
May 4th, 2007, 16:08
i'm using the camprx that are in this thread, have them on ms0:/camprx/ and also using gps-290. I can get the GPS Test to load, and turn on my gps unit, but I receive no satellites, or gps co-ords. GPS TEST is in /GAME303. When I try to load MapThis in /GAME150 it does not work. I am getting the "Loading USB Accessory module..." error...

Any suggestions?

I just updated from my original 1.50 fw to 3.03-OE C...

I don't know why the USB fails to load... frustrating the hell out of me

deniska
May 4th, 2007, 16:27
Don't run MapThis (psp--290) version from 1.50 folder as it must use 3.xx kernel...

As far as reception goes - check your board - some psp versions may require a patch - read the faq...

JesusXP
May 4th, 2007, 16:32
I added mapViewer to /GAME303 and now one of the MapThis GPS eboots loads. I also added the usbacc.prx and usbgps.prx to /GAME303/mapViewer

It sort of loads the NewYork map, but stalls/crashes.. I dont know how to load up the London map, nothing really happens but the MS led is flashing alot.

(thanks for the quick reply)

JesusXP
May 4th, 2007, 19:35
Alright, Sorry about that. The newest beta release seems to be alright for loading maps, but I can't get my GPS signal to read. I turned it on GPS Mode and it doesnt show me where I am, or follow me around as I walk around (Outside of course). I can see it's talking to satellites, Its just not grabbing and or displaying my LAT and LON... Any suggestions?

replogle
May 4th, 2007, 21:15
yes pls help I'm also living in markham, Canada, I can run mapthis no problem, but when I turn to GPS mode 0 signal strength, I can see max 6 satelites but 0 fixes, can anyone help who got this to work with PSP GPS 290 thx

marcellomarchese
May 4th, 2007, 22:01
Alright, Sorry about that. The newest beta release seems to be alright for loading maps, but I can't get my GPS signal to read. I turned it on GPS Mode and it doesnt show me where I am, or follow me around as I walk around (Outside of course). I can see it's talking to satellites, Its just not grabbing and or displaying my LAT and LON... Any suggestions?

try changing prx,have you made your own or just applied the ones you downloaded?
also set the speed clock to 222mhz in the start menu of map this

replogle
May 4th, 2007, 23:40
try changing prx,have you made your own or just applied the ones you downloaded?
also set the speed clock to 222mhz in the start menu of map this

thx for the reply got the prx from here under Yet Another FAQ for MapThis! thread
2.71 usbacc.prx and 3.03 usbgps.prx
http://rapidshare.com/files/12675731/mapViewer.rar.html

I'm now using 3.40 OE-A with mapthis 0.497 same thing when I turn on the GPS mode 0 signal bars red, since you got it to work when you turn on the GPS mode how many signal bars u get and where u live? thx
I've read many posts it looks like nobody in Canada can get this work :confused:
thx

Khyron320
May 5th, 2007, 06:24
Dunno if this has been mentioned or not but the reason some people might be having issues may be releated to idStorage when they downgraded there psp's. It seems a few keys were left behind, most noticable is one that is directly related to USB. Apps like psp extream link wont run. Anyway there is a new program out there called KeyCleaner I tried it it did fix my problems. These were not related to psp-290 or mapthis. I have no idea if this will help or not, its just an idea. I dont even have a psp-290 I have a GPSslim-236..

This worked thank you BaDaPpLe i was pulling my hair out over this. I thought i recieved a dead GPS unit. This is probably the issue allot of people are having.

marcellomarchese
May 5th, 2007, 11:03
thx for the reply got the prx from here under Yet Another FAQ for MapThis! thread
2.71 usbacc.prx and 3.03 usbgps.prx
http://rapidshare.com/files/12675731/mapViewer.rar.html

I'm now using 3.40 OE-A with mapthis 0.497 same thing when I turn on the GPS mode 0 signal bars red, since you got it to work when you turn on the GPS mode how many signal bars u get and where u live? thx
I've read many posts it looks like nobody in Canada can get this work :confused:
thx
I live in Italy and I usually get one or two green bars
if you have it add me on msn [email protected] maybe I can help you

r2000
May 11th, 2007, 17:28

Knobee

That, actually is not a problem with the application.
Most GPS have small flash memory to store the values when switched off so will start off with the values stored when switched on again.

Dragonbox
May 11th, 2007, 19:54
I'm from VANCOUVER,BC,CANADA.

I love your work "deniska"

Your MAPTHIS For Sony GPS module works. It took me a while to figure it all out.

From my experience.... I use 3.10OEA on my PSP.
so the folder "GAME303" does not work.

You must put in "GAME" folder (this is the 3.10 folder)

After I did that - It worked... no maps thou...

I used "deniska" map maker program...& I made 5 maps of vancouver area. It works lovely!!

REMARK: money well spent!

Contact me at: [email protected]

su30mkm
May 14th, 2007, 12:30
I using 3.10OEA on my PSP also ... it worked with MapThis inside /game folder and have set kernel to 1.5 in order successfully run mapthis however fail to load the usb device (PSP-290).

Then I did use PSP290Test with 3.10 kernel inside /game folder and also camprx in the root ... the result I manage to find 6 satellite and locked 3 of them

Then did try to run PSP290Test with 1.5 kernel, it failed to load... as what Deniska said it need 3.0 kernel

Did copy usb***.prx file from camprx to MapViewer folder and run inside 1.5 kernel ... result failed to recognize USB PSP-290 but manage tu run MapViewer but no gps connectivity

Then load the latest MapThis0497_beta PSP290-Eboot, copy prx file from camprx to MapViewer folder. Change back to kernel 3.10 ... and finnally succesfully able to load Pocket MapViewer and lock to available GPS.

Thank Deniska for the great application ....and the team who make this application works

Baboon
May 14th, 2007, 22:17
I've got the GPS-290 on 3,40oe and the test program works fine (files placed in the game folder with kernel set to 340).

I used psardump on 330 to create the usbacc.prx and usbgps.prx files.

My problem is that when I go to use mapthis it loads the eboot then goes to a black screen and shuts off?

I havent downloaded any maps yet (well failed to do it corectly the other day) and was just wanting to try the mapthis test map (the included NY subway)... but its just shuting the psp down each time??

I've tried putting mapthis in the 340 folder and also setting the kernel mode to 340 but when i try to boot mapthis its then comes up with an error 'the game could not be started (80020114C)? ...but if i instead put the files into game its just shuts off??

Help!

Burnt Cobba
May 15th, 2007, 12:45
@baboon

same problem here mate.

Baboon
May 15th, 2007, 13:38
@baboon

same problem here mate.

Its doing my nut in! lol

We need an uber noob tutorial! lol

djbenny
May 22nd, 2007, 22:47
hey i have a problem

i load the latest version of mapthis and it says usb accessory module error with blue screen with MAPTHIS made from ASCII

Atvaark
May 24th, 2007, 05:49
i can confirm that using the prx's from 3.40 unsigned works with the test software. i just tried with my sony gps and it worked. successfully connected to 5 sattelites. want me to post the prx's?

i live in Deux-Montagnes, QC, CA
tried with mapthis also, and it worked. it's taking about 3 to 4 minutes to connect though.

OH! i almost forgot, but if you're using any plugins, disable them first, map this doesn't like plugins on oe firmwares. i disabled cwcheat, and mapthis worked. i had that problem before, the psp shutting off...

roughguy911
May 31st, 2007, 23:56
I live in Italy and I usually get one or two green bars
if you have it add me on msn [email protected] maybe I can help you

any1 please help, I am having similar problem, cannot figure out wether its the device or software, I can get some signals in open field, but no recepetion at all if i am anywhere near the building or even in a car, please advise.....many many thanks oh by the way i live in london....
thanks....

BarfHappy
June 1st, 2007, 19:50
any1 please help, I am having similar problem, cannot figure out wether its the device or software, I can get some signals in open field, but no recepetion at all if i am anywhere near the building or even in a car, please advise.....many many thanks oh by the way i live in london....
thanks....

What i do to make it work great is imagine the GPS to be a mirror, and i want it to reflect the sky. So i give it an angle such as the white of the PSP290 sees most of the sky.

Sometimes it takes time to get the signal (when the sky is clouded it can take 2,3 minutes), but it works.

Before, i was using the GPS fully deployed (near vertical, the white facing me) and it was always loosing signal.

It works great in my car, but i have a convertible.

My only concern is that MapThis crashes often. Sometimes i cannot even load the maps, sometimes it is when i zoom ... but i see nothing wrong in the source code, so i don't understand.

conazo
June 21st, 2007, 14:32
Hi can anyone please be kind, and give me instructions on how to install mapthis on my psp. also which firmware i need on my psp to install mapthis? is 1.50 good?

Codaz
June 23rd, 2007, 18:26
Follow the tuturial plz.

Ahill
July 13th, 2007, 10:23
Hello!

I've looked through this topic and found that many people can't get psp-290 working with ta-082. But i found no solution.
I have psp with ta-082 and custom firmware 3.10oe-a'. Is there any chance to make it work? If it is so, please, give instructions. Thanks in advance.

cg_dvd
July 13th, 2007, 11:07
use search, patch for 082 on this forum, for me its work fine.

Mystheryman
July 14th, 2007, 13:28
Hello!

I've looked through this topic and found that many people can't get psp-290 working with ta-082. But i found no solution.
I have psp with ta-082 and custom firmware 3.10oe-a'. Is there any chance to make it work? If it is so, please, give instructions. Thanks in advance.

google for "fix idstorage"
There's a litte Homebrew Program for fixing the idstorage which can be corrupted while downgrading.

If the idstorage is fixed, it will work =)

M Blur
July 14th, 2007, 16:32
Hi Guys,
Just signed in after getting the 290, which I was sold off Ebay as an 'official product + software' to then get a link to Densika.. I've downloaded V3 and got the read-me file. I'll start by saying I'm running the latest official firmware.

so I've copied the 1.5 file over but no idea about this eboot lark?? I can see the program in my game folder on the pSP but says it's 'corrupted'.?

q - has anyone thought about putting together a rough guide (in English) for all us non-techies who just want to be able to run gps off their PSP.?

If anyone can help put me on the right path then my email is: [email protected]

I see ref to a tutorial - where the heck is that.?

Mucho gracias
Jon

Codaz
July 14th, 2007, 17:30
Won't work with official firmware Jon, only with custom firmware. So 3.40OE.

If you have 3.50 firmware, download with the Lumines game to 1.50 and then upgrade to 3.40 OE

Then run the Mapthis eboot and you'll be fine.

crabman08
July 19th, 2007, 04:13
im having the same exact problem have you figured it out yet if you have please tell me

jpbp
July 31st, 2007, 04:46
My psp gps is working great with this app
but i just need this app because for some reason it works better for me when i use this app {the green proggie} first then switch over to the Mapthis app
can someone plz upload it to another site
because this link doesnt work for me
keep saying '' internet cannot display this site''
it been happening on all other site attached to the dcemu networkz such as deniska.dcemu.uk or the psp news site

plz can someone upload it on another site :o :rolleyes:

deniska
July 31st, 2007, 06:36
hold on tight, it should go back to normal soon.. :-)

kappy332
July 31st, 2007, 19:06
whever i try to launch mapthis, the first screen i come to is a screen that says " loading usb accessory module....error" what is wrong????

kappy332
July 31st, 2007, 19:14
oh yea, i think it might be he green screen tester that i have to get the prx from, but the the link on this site is dead, i think.....

jpbp
August 2nd, 2007, 04:20
the links dont seem to be working yet
i've been searching everywhere for this app but no one seems to have it and the link here isnt working
any whom has it pls upload

kappy332
August 2nd, 2007, 05:49
well i got the software running.....but still no good. The program says that i am connecting to multiple satillites, but when i turn on gps mode, the program never locks onto my position, and never tracks me. Plz help

jomi
August 2nd, 2007, 10:04
Can someone please upload the file psp290test.rar and post the link here because the link in first page not working?
THANKS

Beni123
April 13th, 2009, 16:05
Hi!

Is it possible to write a driver that acts like a psp-290 gps receiver.
I have holux gpslim, and i want to connect it to the psp through the PC. When I start Go!explore and connect to the pc with USB, than new 2 hardwares appear: USB Device, USB Accessory.
Can someone write a driver which send coordinates to go!explore from a file or somewhere. Or help how to start writing that driver? or at least the send source of the usbacc, and usbgps.prx modules and psp290tester it would be a great help.
Thanks