PDA

View Full Version : Did you know? 333MHz is officially unlocked

Vega
January 15th, 2007, 14:08
PSP owners have been hotly anticipating an official unlock of PSP's full capabilities. The system runs at 222MHz, 1/3 less than what the system is capable of. But, did you know that ever since firmware 3.0, the PSP has been running at 333MHz? Yes, it's true ... but the system only runs at maximum speed for emulated PSone games.

What? Didn't the original PlayStation run at 33MHz? Yes, it's true. So why does the PSP have to run ten times faster to run PSone games? Well, software emulation is pretty complex stuff (ask the people at Microsoft: they know a little something with Xbox 360's backwards compatibility). With Sony having unlocked the PSP's full clock speed, will wee see other games take advantage? I'm sure a studio like Ready at Dawn can do some truly amazing things.

Discuss via comments

via IGN (http://boards.ign.com/psp_general_board/b7159/135017147/p1/)

sony.1991
January 15th, 2007, 14:14
I knew they wouldn't be able to create a emulator for 222MHz it's just too damn hard. I wish they would unlock it for the browser have you seen how much that lags... And mabey memory caching the the memory stick for those large sites, no more "Not enough memory" errors.

Ari
January 15th, 2007, 14:19
I knew that...

I doubt they'd do it for the web browser. And it's impossible to use the memory stick as swap space since the psp doesn't have an mmu...

SSaxdude
January 15th, 2007, 14:43
If the PSP ran at 333 mhz for games (other than the PSX games) then I bet there would be a nice graphical jump.

froggie22
January 15th, 2007, 14:47
didnt they have it clocked over 222 for some of the newer psp games (not at 333 but). the game name doesnt come to mind atm but...

brunobelo
January 15th, 2007, 14:48
Orly?

scarph
January 15th, 2007, 14:51
yearly

sony.1991
January 15th, 2007, 15:09
the psp doesn't have an mmu...

I didn't know that(should've read the entire of "The Naked PSP")

I doubt they'd do it for the web browser

oh well there's always devhook :)

slayer2psp
January 15th, 2007, 15:13
if you play atv offroad fury with dark alexs firmware and you change the cpu settings the game will save overclocked in the upper right hand corner when you play the game. i run all my games at 300mhz. you get a lot less slowdown when you run it faster. this is old news for people who are smart enough to use hook boot or dark alexs firmware

Vega
January 15th, 2007, 15:19
this is old news for people who are smart enough to use hook boot or dark alexs firmware

The point of this news is that sony are now officially using the psp at its full capabilites where power is concerned. Of course everyone knows that we can overclock via homebrew.

elmonen
January 15th, 2007, 15:20
I bet Crisis core runs at default over 222mhz.. the trailer looks so good it must be.

Bytrix
January 15th, 2007, 15:20
We've been able to play at 333mhz for a long time using plugins/devhook etc..

Sony haven't 'unlocked' anything, they developed POPS and it runs exactly the same as other homebrew which runs at 333. It just sets the CPU speed when it's starting up. It's a few simple system calls in homebrew to enable them to use 333mhz.

blackdaze
January 15th, 2007, 15:27
can any body help me wid da 303OE cwcheat thing i cant get it 2 work with ff9

Veskgar
January 15th, 2007, 15:32
Yeah, this is old news for the homebrew scene. Now SONY can officially release a better battery...

$40.00 for only a 20% gain with SONY's current stamina battery doesn't seem like a bargain anymore.

I would hope SONY either drops the price of the stamina battery to $19.99 or releases a 40-50% extended battery.

blackrave
January 15th, 2007, 15:41
This was already speculated on when the 3.00 firmware was released as a person said the loading times on MG: AC!D seemed to be faster, but now it really is confirmed.

Confirmed by who, by the way? Sony? :S

I really hope Sony release some better batteries now. I mean, they really should if they force the users to run at 333 MHz!

cal360
January 15th, 2007, 15:59
I knew they wouldn't be able to create a emulator for 222MHz it's just too damn hard. I wish they would unlock it for the browser have you seen how much that lags... And mabey memory caching the the memory stick for those large sites, no more "Not enough memory" errors.

Unlocking the webrowser in 333MHz is pretty dangerous for your PSP as it overheats it realy bad i've done it before and I might of well used it as a portable radiator

g00gy
January 15th, 2007, 16:05
now i know why overclocking PS1 games makes no diffrence

blaz3d
January 15th, 2007, 16:48
i had a crappy battery(until i knicked my sisters b/fs!) and i had noticed it getting drained really quickly playing ffVII, so i kinda guessed the cpu was running @ 333mhz

aCoL
January 15th, 2007, 16:59
The point of this news is that sony are now officially using the psp at its full capabilites where power is concerned. Of course everyone knows that we can overclock via homebrew

when i first saw this post i was like wtf?! dax's firmware dosent unlock it or somthing i thought it did >.< but then my morning caffine kicked in :P

240-185
January 15th, 2007, 17:01
Oh. That must explain why I can heat my hands on my PSP.

quzar
January 15th, 2007, 17:29
I knew that...

I doubt they'd do it for the web browser. And it's impossible to use the memory stick as swap space since the psp doesn't have an mmu...

No it's not. An MMU isn't required to do something like that. What an mmu does is let you do things like swap space without any thought or much cost in code, but it is in no way necessary.

ppo
January 15th, 2007, 18:02
No it's not. An MMU isn't required to do something like that. What an mmu does is let you do things like swap space without any thought or much cost in code, but it is in no way necessary.

The psp alredy dose this in pops ever knowtist that when you have littel space on the memory stick the psp refuses to launch pops? well i crashed my psp and fawend cache files on ms0:/

NovaKane
January 15th, 2007, 20:25
Sony playing catch-up = not a suprise

wolfpack
January 15th, 2007, 21:20
doesnt surprise me, but its about damn time they unlocked it themselves, i swear they are always so far behind and were always a few steps ahead. Bring it on Sony

MicroNut
January 15th, 2007, 21:54
Does fixing the clock speed in the recovery console to something lower than 333Mhz effect popstation?

I have been testing a game of mine that suffers from random lockups
and I am trying to determine if the CPU speed is to blame.

EDIT:
Ever since I set it to a lower clock speed the game no longer locks up.
I just want to make sure that this really has something to do with it or I am just getting lucky.

Vega
January 16th, 2007, 01:12
Does fixing the clock speed in the recovery console to something lower than 333Mhz effect popstation?

I have been testing a game of mine that suffers from random lockups
and I am trying to determine if the CPU speed is to blame.

EDIT:
Ever since I set it to a lower clock speed the game no longer locks up.
I just want to make sure that this really has something to do with it or I am just getting lucky.

maybe. i now set my psp to default speed when using Pops... just to make sure there is no interference via pops and DAX's overclocking hack. who knows, it may not do anything. some tests would prove the theory right or wrong though.

Apoklepz
January 16th, 2007, 01:15
Well, I don't entirely believe this cause when I played my copy of Metal Gear Solid on Popstation, I noticed a bit of lagging in big open spaces, but then it was fine when I used Oveclock.prx to clock it to 333mhz....SONY isn't overclocking anything, yet.

baracki96
January 16th, 2007, 01:17
Only a matter of time now until psp games use 333mhz. Definently will decrease battery life though.

MicroNut
January 16th, 2007, 02:44
I tried reproducing the fault using default and 222Mhz but I could not get it to crash again...
It seems that for this game "FutureCop LAPD"
Random crashes are just a thing I will have to live with.

Thank you for the help.

PSmonkey
January 16th, 2007, 02:57
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Chakoo == PSmonkey (aka me)

Smooth, you posted my IGN topic here.

Yep. Damn sony for removing tlb instructions from the cop0. :( N64 emulation would be so much easier with it.

Vega
January 16th, 2007, 03:00
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Chakoo == PSmonkey (aka me)

Smooth, you posted my IGN topic here.

coincidence? I dont THINK SO! lol
yea I'm a vulture! :thumbup:

PSmonkey
January 16th, 2007, 03:03
coincidence? I dont THINK SO! lol
yea I'm a vulture! :thumbup:

You're fallowing me aye? :)

Vega
January 16th, 2007, 03:05
You're fallowing me aye? :)

lol, im right behind you !

nah man, I actually found this on PSPFanboy. total coincidence. Small world eh? :D

urherenow
January 16th, 2007, 05:59
I found the comment about asking Microsoft about emulation kind of funny...

One of the greatest emulation coders alive, Aaron Giles (M.A.M.E.) works for them now.. on the virtualpc project.
you know the scummVM?
Virtual Game Station?

Aaron did those... as well as many arcade platforms in mame... and has been revamping the MAME core for a couple of years now, inventing the .CHD format (for disk images of HDDs and CDs and very soon LaserDisks) among other things.

So don't ask Microsoft in general about emulation. ask Aaron!

brunobelo
January 16th, 2007, 16:50
If you think that 333mhz makes your PSP hot, try to use PiMPStreamer and you'll know the meaning of the word HOT. :-D The heat is awesome! I think I can burn my hands with PiMPStreamer. :-D BTW, is a great program.