PDA

View Full Version : PSP7800: Atari 7800 emulator for PSP v1.0.3 (major bug fix)

zx-81
January 15th, 2007, 20:02
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/images/psp7800-snap-3.jpg

Hi All,

Here is a new version of PSP7800 the Atari 7800 console emulator.

First of all i do apologize for those daily releases, this should be the last one
(i cross my fingers).

What's new in version 1.0.3 :

- Major Bug fix : All roms (such as BallBlazer) that used the Pokey audio chip
made the emulator to crash !
- New icons from Gelon :)

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

Sources are included, and this package is under the GNU public license,
read COPYING.txt file for more information about it.

Enjoy,

Zx

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Kaiser
January 15th, 2007, 20:21
Nice

Awesome work ZX. No need to apologize for the daily releases. :D

wraggster
January 15th, 2007, 20:24
its what keeps the scene active :)

more the better

carpy
January 15th, 2007, 20:39
I know you probably think I'm a giant pain by now, ZX, but perfection is the game, right?

Yep , Pokey games are working.

Still, a bunch of games don't run, you just get a black screen:

Basketbrawl
Double Dragon
F-18 Hornet
Meltdown
Midnight Mutants
Rampage
Realsports Baseball
Scrapyard Dog
Tower Toppler
Water Ski

And some you get Graphical Corruption, Unplayable, but game tries to start:

Ace of Aces
Ninja Golf
Kung-Fu Master
Mean 18
Xenophobe

these are games that work correctly in the Windows version.

Still, AWESOME WORK though, Zx-81. Thanks a million.

gelon
January 15th, 2007, 21:38
Ballblazer at last! great news

Thanks ZX as allways, you are the best coder

I'll give a try games posted by carpy to confirm it

gunntims0103
January 15th, 2007, 21:49
Thanks much zx-81 :)

aries2k4
January 15th, 2007, 22:53
Lol, your bringing us a better product and your apologizing?
Keep up the good work and Thanks

carpy
January 15th, 2007, 23:48
For the record, this site has lots of useful information on the 7800, games , etc.

http://www.atari7800.org/emulation.htm

Poem58
January 16th, 2007, 00:23
I know you probably think I'm a giant pain by now, ZX, but perfection is the game, right?

Yep , Pokey games are working.

Still, a bunch of games don't run, you just get a black screen:

Basketbrawl
Double Dragon
F-18 Hornet
Meltdown
Midnight Mutants
Rampage
Realsports Baseball
Scrapyard Dog
Tower Toppler
Water Ski

And some you get Graphical Corruption, Unplayable, but game tries to start:

Ace of Aces
Ninja Golf
Kung-Fu Master
Mean 18
Xenophobe

these are games that work correctly in the Windows version.

Still, AWESOME WORK though, Zx-81. Thanks a million.

Even in the second release I know that
Tower Toppler
Water Ski
Realsports Baseball
and I belive a couple more of those were working for me...Try different rom source.

Ninja Golf had a black band ..haven't tested the new release yet..will do so later tonight.

And ZX...how do you appologize for having only 3 releases and fixing a majority of problems in 3 days?!
Some like myself would call that Mad skill and dedication....PLease don't appologize for giving your time and skills up for us who haven't a clue how and responding to problems so quicky....keep in mind people in this world who are paid to service a customers needs rarly even can respond as fast as you have!
No one take this as a slight to other coders....but you are an extremely important part of the coding scene in my opinion. when emulators seem to be not as important as firmwares and downgraders and origial apps anymore, you are still bringing joy to the game players.
And soon maybe I'll be rocking Atari's 2600,5200,and 7800 all by ZX!

Thank You!

Veskgar
January 16th, 2007, 00:35
This is a nice release. I also don't mind frequent updates. No need to apologize.

Thanks again zx-81!

shak bo
January 16th, 2007, 01:58
Like Nu Shooz, "baby I , I, I can't wait. Thanks ZX.

Ramza042
January 16th, 2007, 02:46
I'm not begging, or even requesting, because I know that can be annoying, but... do 2600 roms work? Will they ever? I want to play spider fighter SO bad I can taste it, heh.

Poem58
January 16th, 2007, 03:33
I'm not begging, or even requesting, because I know that can be annoying, but... do 2600 roms work? Will they ever? I want to play spider fighter SO bad I can taste it, heh.

We're trying to convince Zx to make us a real good 2600 emu...I think he just might...keep your fingers crossed!

Poem58
January 16th, 2007, 03:51
I just tried meltdown..no go...
Ninja golf..big black band in play area cant see the action.
Haven't had time to test every rom...

and ZX...is it possible to use the digital pad instead of the analog like in the Intellivision emu?
If it's an option I can't seem to find it.
Analog stick is too touchy for a lot of games.

Great job and thanks again...

carpy
January 16th, 2007, 04:15
Swap analog pad option.

And those 4 that you listed as working Poem- are Overdumps, not the official correctly sized rom dumps.

They will start true, but also crash the emulator while in-game.

zx-81
January 16th, 2007, 07:51
@all: thanks for your kind comments :)

@Poem58: As carpy said, for intellivision, you can use the swap analog pad option in the settings menu :)

OopFjord
January 16th, 2007, 11:55
This is fantastic,, very nice work zx! Love your Atari ports..

gelon
January 16th, 2007, 12:52
I'm playing Impossible Mission to see the bug that dont allow to finish the game ^_^

zx-81
January 16th, 2007, 13:25
@gelon: many thanks for your graphics stuff, it's very nice !

Poem58
January 16th, 2007, 13:54
@all: thanks for your kind comments :)

@Poem58: As carpy said, for intellivision, you can use the swap analog pad option in the settings menu :)

Thx...somehow while looking I missed it....don't remember having to switch it in intellivision. So I was a bit confused.

Poem58
January 16th, 2007, 14:04
And those 4 that you listed as working Poem- are Overdumps, not the official correctly sized rom dumps.

They will start true, but also crash the emulator while in-game.

Ok...what sizes are wrong and what are correct...mine played in game for quite awhile but I didn't play any further than like 5 minutes into each game....

I have in duplicate from two different sources and none have crashed....I figure that the others I have issues with graphically etc...are rom issues..but I didn't realize working ones were a problem...

It really doesn't matter....my Atari heart belongs to the 2600 anyway....graphics may not have been as good as 2600 but the nostalgia of sitting in front of the TV when you're 9 years old until it's 1-2 in the morning and you just can't stop playing missile command no matter how hard it is to keep your eyes open....I bet everyone would have to admit it...we ALL have at least one experience falling asleep DURING a game cause we just didn't wanna stop.
Good times.....Good times!

But I do appreciate what ZX has done here in bringing another (and mainly not thought of much as Nintendo won before the 7800 released) system to our gaming pleasure.

carpy
January 16th, 2007, 14:38
The roms on this site are the official, correct roms:

http://www.atari7800.org/emulation.htm

Lots of the roms found elsewhere are bad, overdumps, or incorrectly named. Lots of the early 7800 PC emulators assumed these bad/overdump roms were, in fact, correct ROMS. Which is why the early emulators had some of the same compatibility problems this one currently has, yet the windows port of it doesn't.

Poem58
January 16th, 2007, 17:08
OK...thats where I had gotten mine....
So I guess mine are ok after all...
I will have to do a full test of the roms to get an idea which work and which don't for me...
since both of ours are from the same source does your NinjaGolf work correctly?
If so I need to go back to 1.5 cause 3.02OE-A won't run Dgen so it may be the cause of problems with this as well...sometimes I load a rom and it freezes the PSP and when I tried Donkey Kong after switching to Digital pad controls I immediatly tried to exit using the home key and it froze but continued to play the game sound in background of please wait screen...SO I don't know if it's just me at 3.02 or if I need to go back to 1.5 or up to 3.03OE-B...

Still confused by all these options!

carpy
January 16th, 2007, 23:52
Alternative Art:

Icon0.png & Pic1.png are semi-transparent (no background color)

zx-81
January 17th, 2007, 07:55
@carpy: nice ones :)

carpy
January 18th, 2007, 15:03
Apparently, in the Windows Port, the compiled Binary (.exe) is distributed with a data file that compares the CRC of the roms, and defines the cart type, and allows the problem games to work.

I have confirmed that when this prosystem.dat file is present in the same folder as the prosystem.exe in windows, the games listed above run fine, but when this prosystem.dat file isn't present, the games listed above exhibit the same compatiblity problems as they do currently on the PSP.

zx-81
January 19th, 2007, 17:39
Apparently, in the Windows Port, the compiled Binary (.exe) is distributed with a data file that compares the CRC of the roms, and defines the cart type, and allows the problem games to work.

I have confirmed that when this prosystem.dat file is present in the same folder as the prosystem.exe in windows, the games listed above run fine, but when this prosystem.dat file isn't present, the games listed above exhibit the same compatiblity problems as they do currently on the PSP.

Yes, that's it ... Danno on Qj did the same observation and i've modified the code and using this prosystem.dat file it works now just fine.

Thanks for your help, i will release a new version soon :D