PDA

View Full Version : Mother learns of daughter's death via Facebook

wraggster
September 21st, 2012, 22:51
A mother whose daughter was found dead in her home reportedly learned of her death via Facebook as police failed to contact her.
Cheryl Jones initially discovered a post on the social networking site that stated: "She's died. RIP Karla."
Karla Jones had died at her home at around 8pm on July 23rd, however, her mother was not informed until after 11:30pm.
Ms Jones plans to make an official complaint as to why the police failed to contact her following her daughter's death.
"My daughter was found dead and I only found out through Facebook," Ms Jones told the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-19662314).
"I was Karla's mother, her next of kin, the police should have come to see me straight away."
After seeing the distressing post on Facebook, Ms Jones called her daughter's mobile phone, which was answered by police who stated they would be around to see her immediately.
"I couldn't understand how complete strangers could see she was dead by looking at Facebook," Ms Jones continued.
A story such as this begs the question: Has Facebook - and social networking in general - become too big a part of our lives?
Whilst users reap the benefits of social networking, with a constantly updated feed that details their friends and family's recent activity, it is certainly clear from something such as this, that there are dangers from letting sites such as Facebook become an all too important part of our lives.
I find it difficult to believe anyone would prefer to learn of such private and personal events via Facebook, for anyone to see, rather than in person or via phone.
So, has Facebook and social media gone too far? Will a story such as this affect your social networking habits?
http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/mother-learns-of-daughter-s-death-via-facebook/029210

thristydevil
September 22nd, 2012, 19:20
If this is true then its really sad to hear that
but its strange that how can a mother be irresponsible about his daughter may her soul rest in peace.