PDA

View Full Version : PSP GPS No Good For Cars. What About Motorcycles?

wraggster
January 16th, 2007, 17:51
Via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/gps/psp-gps-no-good-for-cars-what-about-motorcycles-228901.php)

With GPS standard in most Japanese cars and many cell phones, Sony's move to create a GPS receiver for the PSP was surprising. Blog HiroIro has a fine product review using Japanese UMD title MAPLUS.

Comparisons are drawn between a Panasonic car navigational system of the PSP with the Panasonic navi starting up as soon as the engine turns over while the PSP takes the requisite five minutes to get fired up. The Panasonic navi can make it through tunnels or underground, no problemo while the PSP croaks. Pulling up addresses, names and phone numbers are easy on the Panasonic system; the PSP only provides addresses, which are "difficult on the eyes" to read.

Verdict? Standard car navi wins.

Motorcycles don't really have navigational systems (none that I am aware off). So the PSP navi might actually be of some use. Here's the set-up, above. The portable is slipped in a map case designed for touring. An external battery beefs up the portable's life. Earphones make it possible directions given from the software as during the day, seeing the PSP screen is difficult. Night is much easier.

Problems: It's impossible to tell the difference between national roads and prefectural ones, and HiroIro says the software's still seems like it was created 10 years ago. Now that's an endorsement.

Screens Via Comments

lordnibbla
January 16th, 2007, 19:01
Well in any case, its my dream to use the psp as a multi functional car tool... including gps :D

Already used for music :P

MicroNut
January 16th, 2007, 20:12
I plan on using it to plot a points on the side of a mountain during a 10-12 mile hike.
I want to buy a "real" GPS,
but I am waiting to try this one before I put the cash down for the rea thing.

Emeriastone
January 16th, 2007, 21:09
Well lets see what is said after Deniska's software, Map This! is compatible with the PSP-290 GPS.

Psyberjock
January 16th, 2007, 22:24
I personally think the real flaw with the GPS unit is the Maplus software.

It is aware of the roads and it tries very hard to stick to them. This is done so much that it often becomes a flaw. Especially when something isn't on the map.

I think the real moment to shine is when it's used while walking. It gives directions pretty well and can even tell you where the stations are and nice places to take pictures and such.

While I think the car feature was added as an afterthought in order to make it a more complete product, given the price, I might take it over the panasonic navi. (since i already have the psp and the gps) The panasonic unit probably costs about $1000 here in Japan. (at least)

deniska
January 17th, 2007, 05:47
It's kinda stupid to compare built-in car nav system to a stand-alone device.

The built in systems usually start from $1000, easily hitting 2500 and more... There is a reason for that.
They usually offer external GPS antenna (thus much better reception), alternative backup system (inertial, etc) - so even if the system does not have a satelite fix it has a pretty good idea where it is... so yeah, the moment you turn on the engine, it shows you where the car is... the assumption is that w/o engine the car would not move far from it's last position...
Of course, you can't use this rule with a portable device...
So, the build in systems have their ways to cheat, they include more gadgetry.

But as a rule, you get what you paid for :-)