PDA

View Full Version : IGN picks PS3 as best new console of 2006

wraggster
January 16th, 2007, 18:01
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/16/ign-picks-ps3-as-best-new-console-of-2006/)

Hell froze over. We've got some positive Sony news today. IGN has picked the PS3 as the best new console of 2006 despite its lackluster launch and widespread criticism. Even though there were only two new consoles to choose from and despite its lack of games, IGN says the PS3 wins the best console award on potential alone:

"Judging the consoles based upon a broad perspective that includes software now available and coming in the future an entirely different argument could be formulated. However, from a hardware perspective, the PS3 is by far the more interesting console. Though the launch software hasn't blown anyone away, the 360's launch titles were equally unimpressive, and the system will certainly mature. Sony's embrace of the PS3 as a computer rather than just a console, and the availability of supported Linux distributions for the console will also develop and will likely bear entirely unexpected fruit in future."

It's refreshing to see someone play Devil's Advocate, but that reads like IGN's best new computer award, not best console award. Hardware, Linux distros ... sounds exciting! Anyone else stoked for the PS3's future potential?

Who thinks the Wii should have Won?, agree or disagree then voice your feelings via comments

JKKDARK
January 16th, 2007, 18:04
Oh I can't believe what IGN did. What happened with the Wii? :confused:

DPyro
January 16th, 2007, 18:10
Well I have a Wii...haven't touched it in awhile though :rofl:

CrossZX
January 16th, 2007, 18:10
The Wii should have won!!!

inlovewithi
January 16th, 2007, 18:32
Never trust awards, there can be hidden motives behind them. Corporations do cheat and lie, and bribe.

John Vattic
January 16th, 2007, 18:36
The PS3 does have the best overall in hardware potential, while the Wii has more unique interfacing.

Same thing as PSP/DS systems. One is more powerful, and the other is more fun.

sinjinn
January 16th, 2007, 18:37
i think the ps3 is the best new console.
the wii is quirky and fun but for traditional gaming it isnt as good, no graphic power. and the xbox 360 is noise pollution and closed off.
the ps3 however has linux ... and powerful and is gonna get all the support AND .......is NOT noisy like the noisebox 360 , and will therefore not give u headaches while watchign high def movies

alienanthropologist
January 16th, 2007, 18:58
There is only one winner of the new gen console war, and it doesn't need to win any awards.

It's a revolution which is in the process of disrupting and redefining the videogaming industry as we know it. And it's only beginning. :thumbup:

Ps3 is good. A behemoth of machine that plays blue ray discs and outputs video at 1080p... Sadly, it's not the one eveyone is talking about, nor is it causing a global stir for trully pioneering new ways of enjoying gaming. It only has better graphics. Great deal.

F9zDark
January 16th, 2007, 19:03
I guess IGN also recognized that the Wii is only a fad, and will quickly die out because he has no real staying power. The Wii is fun for a short time, but it gets old and as I have said repeatedly, Wii-mote read problems are a bitch, especially in games that require alot of concentration and effort.

Ziim
January 16th, 2007, 19:34
Wii for the win! PS3 is a monster of a console, but its Sony, and they suck. Simple.

jme
January 16th, 2007, 19:35
i have to be honest i have played my wii less and less since igot it at christmas, and lol i have been playiong resident evil 4, this is why i think the 0s3 is going to be my console, when the bastrds release it in the uk

pedersencato
January 16th, 2007, 19:44
Well I don't normally agree with IGN or Gaming Awards for that matter but thank you for Finally saying it... yes the Wii is cool, but the PS3 is so damn powerful!

jstush04
January 16th, 2007, 19:45
i think the ps3 is the best new console.
the wii is quirky and fun but for traditional gaming it isnt as good, no graphic power. and the xbox 360 is noise pollution and closed off.
the ps3 however has linux ... and powerful and is gonna get all the support AND .......is NOT noisy like the noisebox 360 , and will therefore not give u headaches while watchign high def movies

there was a post made on the wii boards yesterday that actually concluded that the xbox360 was the quietest of the three machines....

the_eternal_dark
January 16th, 2007, 20:38
Well I don't normally agree with IGN or Gaming Awards for that matter but thank you for Finally saying it... yes the Wii is cool, but the PS3 is so damn powerful!

But didn't David beat Goliath? Yay, all that power and nothing to utilize it. Sounds like a real winner to me. It already runs rather hot, and though I'm not completely sure, won't this cause problems after 6 months, a year, maybe even a little further down the road.

Anyways, the 360 is nowhere near as loud as a standard Xbox fan with the 12v mod. Ever stand next to a jet? Yeah, it's that loud. Personally, noise doesn't bother me, or many others for that matter, especially during a multiplayer game, it's not even noticeable.

robman84
January 16th, 2007, 21:03
I'm rather underwhelmed with the Wii, but its pricepoint and novelty clearly make it a family favourite. I'll get one when it is cheap, although I am tempted by some of the used Gamecube bundles at the moment - 50ukp gets you a gamecube, extra controller and a bunch of the best games for it.

Nothing about the 360 has floated my boat yet. All of the games I've tried in shops have "issues" relating to framerate or simply don't blow me away in HD like I thought they would/should. Maybe we were spoiled with the best of the Xbox and PS2 games. Personally I still think they had a year or so of top life left in them before they started to look dated.

PS3? Again, I'll get one when they are cheap. Looks powerful but the software will be the killer. I bought a PS2 as soon as GT3 came out. I couldn't wait any longer! But since then I bought about 5 PS2 games, and about 20 Xbox games. The Xbox is/was the next Dreamcast. And whilst I'm at it I'll just throw in that I thin kthe Dreamcast was the best console ever :o)

Demolition49
January 16th, 2007, 21:10
Well most interesting hardware... hmm have a think about this ign.... hmm a controller that revoloutionises gameplay? Hmm... you ever thought the sales wii has made... stupid award. They will eat thier words later on in the year.

Amethyst
January 16th, 2007, 21:33
They will eat thier words later on in the year.

Or try and bury them under the carpet. Just kidding.

The Wii looks good, I have yet to play it, but the way it has been treated as of late by developers, Nintendo might as well stuck with the DS and its graphics. Little effort is being put into the Wii by the third parties and that is why people say "it's only a fad", because only Nintendo is churning out decent games (again, from an outsider observation) and everyone else is using it as an ATM. I see the most potential for insane gaming from the Wii (scrolling shooters, flight games, FPS, fighting games, and even a new form of pinball) but the developers are really dropping the ball (everyone brings up Wii Boxing, FarCry, and Red Steel as evidence that the potential isn't there).

The PS3 is most capable of playing the same ol', same ol' but prettier and with tilt. It's a safe console when compared to the novelty that is the standard Wii remote and therefore the potential is more present: Cool looking same ol' with tilt (no hate).

I was at JoyStiq reading comments and read a few regarding Lost Planet, a new game for the 360. I have not played the game, but most commentary was along the lines of "it plays kind of shoddy but it's f'cking beautiful". This reassured me that the PS3, once fully developed (or, according to SONY, reached only half of its full potential), will be taking in a lot of graphic fans.

Junixx
January 16th, 2007, 21:47
Twilight Princess was a beautiful game to me, may not look the most realistic compared to the 360 or PS3, but its still beautiful

I think the Wii will end up like the DS, when the DS first came out, it was strange and only had a few good games, but now that developers have figured out how to use the touch screen well, better and better games have started coming out for it

WARIOWARE FTW lol

Uruz 6
January 16th, 2007, 21:54
Hmm..
I didn't know about the linux thing - maybe I'll get one in a couple of years :)

porchemasi
January 16th, 2007, 22:11
The PS3 IS INCREDIBLE! I own one and think its amazing. It has its flaws, but what system doesnt? The LinuxOS completely makes the ps3 win in all categories, NES, VLC, SNES, VNC, IE, and much more totally make this system pure pwnage!

NINTENDO WII IS A PERIPHERAL! ENOUGH SAID!

Man
January 16th, 2007, 22:12
^^ your silly the people at ING or whatever place this reveiw was made up by obiously were hierd or paid off by $ony
there console is junk, you couldnt pay me enough to go near one. and the thing that pissed me off the most was that they locked PSP owners into buying a PS3 just to download games. THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW , when i heard that i almost through my PSP out a window, but luckily now my problem has been fixed by a brilliant coder named Dark alex. The nintendo Wii is small, compact, revelutionary, it shows that you dont need power to create a truely butiful game system experiance. Where as the PS3 is in my pooinion the ugliest beice of garbage that could have been created. Im sorry but that award should be given to the Wii, and not games for the Wii? what about the huge market of MARIO? mario galaxy and other parts of the mario franchise, come on people use your heads, what does ps3 have ultra violence and offencive content ?

porchemasi
January 16th, 2007, 22:40
Wii is not a new system, it is a gamecube + dvd player + a remote sensored controller.

Wii has maxed polished NGC graphics. With a sensored controller. ... .. even the ps3 controller can use its sensors (six axis) i.e resistance when ur on fire u must shake the controller .... i mean big whoop?

Ive played wii and got board in 4 hrs, i personaly like Zelda for GG anyways

sinjinn
January 16th, 2007, 22:40
there was a post made on the wii boards yesterday that actually concluded that the xbox360 was the quietest of the three machines....

yeah , engadget had that same article i think and you should read the comments made. basicaly some guy did a sound test in which there was practically no scientific method used. he basically measured everythign in a way that made the 360 seem like it was less noisy. he included noise that the human ear doesnt even detect and he changed the position of the microphone for each test . but anyone who has owned a 360 will tell you that the thing sounds like a hovercraft. i owned a wii for a brief perion and the thing didnt make any sound at all , almost. and the 360 sounds... v bad

Man
January 16th, 2007, 22:52
Wii is not a new system, it is a gamecube + dvd player + a remote sensored controller.

Wii has maxed polished NGC graphics. With a sensored controller. ... .. even the ps3 controller can use its sensors (six axis) i.e resistance when ur on fire u must shake the controller .... i mean big whoop?

Ive played wii and got board in 4 hrs, i personaly like Zelda for GG anyways

And whats the PS3, a burnt out name, an overpowered over priced black box ? it has the same computing power as a super computer, but still cant produce better graphics than a xbox 360? i think not, face it your 700$ black life boat is sinking.

alienanthropologist
January 16th, 2007, 22:58
^^ your silly the people at ING or whatever place this reveiw was made up by obiously were hierd or paid off by $ony
there console is junk, you couldnt pay me enough to go near one. and the thing that pissed me off the most was that they locked PSP owners into buying a PS3 just to download games. THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW , when i heard that i almost through my PSP out a window, but luckily now my problem has been fixed by a brilliant coder named Dark alex. The nintendo Wii is small, compact, revelutionary, it shows that you dont need power to create a truely butiful game system experiance. Where as the PS3 is in my pooinion the ugliest beice of garbage that could have been created. Im sorry but that award should be given to the Wii, and not games for the Wii? what about the huge market of MARIO? mario galaxy and other parts of the mario franchise, come on people use your heads, what does ps3 have ultra violence and offencive content ?

You've said it perfectly. I couldn't agree more.:thumbup:

Vendeta
January 16th, 2007, 23:30
k if yall think PS3 didint deserve that award... i dare u to go and play one with motor storm(demo) and set the controller to turn the car... and u never get board.... i bought full auto 2 for my ps3 and downloaded motor storm and i play it WAYYYYY more than full auto... i havent played full auto since i got it.... and if u play with front veiw it gives the game a realistic feal... and the graphic's are way supperior... so all u none belevers trade in ur wii's and buy a PS3!!!!! DO IT DO IT NOW!!!

brunobelo
January 17th, 2007, 00:02
Someone at IGN received lots of dollars to write this... PS3 isn't the best console in ANY possible way... Just a question? Was this an advertisement? :-P

woods05
January 17th, 2007, 01:02
some people at IGN are high on drugs. Where I'm at, every store that sells video games has at least 5 Playstation 3s in stock. They just sit there because no one cares.
On the other hand, the Nintendo Wii, is hard to find because everyone wants one and they are bought off the shelves as soon as they come in.
The Nintendo Wii wins without even trying.

Sony probably bought the award from IGN like advertising space.

the_eternal_dark
January 17th, 2007, 03:28
Yay, Linux on PS3.. Why not use a computer for that and use the PS3 for games?

The biggest sales point, a blu-ray player (for cheap, really), and that's if the blu-ray/hd-dvd swings more into Sony's favor. I believe that's what everyone is so hyped about. That and Armored Core 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4:D.

ikarimaru
January 17th, 2007, 03:59
PS3 has potential, but this was the "Best Console of 2006" award... Not the "Possible Best Console in the Future Award". I could really care less if PS3 won it. I'm really not biased on this issue, but at least have the award match the criteria. I wouldn't hand out a "Best Movie of all Time Award" to "Dead or Alive: The Movie" just because it's in the future and it COULD be good (not effin' likely).

IGN is a bunch of bribed sissies with long greasy ponytails and facial hair resembling pubes. They shouldn't be allowed to make any decisions without consulting at LEAST their mother.

Shadowblind
January 17th, 2007, 04:03
Ahem...IGN:

F*CK YOU!

Naw, not really. Although the absolute lack of intelligence in this matter, I'd have to say IGN does good in most other things. I have a Wii, but haven't used it in a while, been obsessed with Gears of War :)

ikarimaru
January 17th, 2007, 04:11
yeah , engadget had that same article i think and you should read the comments made. basicaly some guy did a sound test in which there was practically no scientific method used. he basically measured everythign in a way that made the 360 seem like it was less noisy. he included noise that the human ear doesnt even detect and he changed the position of the microphone for each test . but anyone who has owned a 360 will tell you that the thing sounds like a hovercraft. i owned a wii for a brief perion and the thing didnt make any sound at all , almost. and the 360 sounds... v bad

I'm pretty sure that if you have a decent sound system, the sound of the 360 shouldn't matter anyway. And if you DON'T have a decent sound system, you're only experiencing half the game anyway.

But to be scientific, I grabbed my sound level meter (a must have for any audiophile), and put it right back near the fan of the 360, the loudest part. It only registered 54 dB. Considering I live in a college apartment and my roomies are next door playing Xbox with the sound cranked, that's still pretty damn good. If you'd like a list of examples of sound levels, check the following site:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Sounds/Decibles.htm

So, in other words, my somewhat quiet apartment room with the 360 running and my Sound level meter right next to it only gave a reading of 54 dB, or by the site above, the noise level of a quiet office.
If you really have a problem with the 360 being loud, you're probably not properly equipped to be using it in the first place. If you spend time worry about how loud it is, you're probably not enjoying your games anyway. Play what you want, but don't rip apart an article unless you have some sort of scientific* evidence to back it up.

*for something to be scientific, it must be objective, reproducible, falsifiable, etc. The test I just performed, was just that. You're welcome to try it with any normal sound meter.

OH, and for the record, my PS2 is louder than my 360, as given by the dB meter. Granted it's first gen, but still...

Emulation_Chief
January 17th, 2007, 04:39
Hello:

This debate looks like never ends. IGN has a point that PS3 is a very powerful hardware comparing to, basically, every computing machine available. And it states that very well. Sony is not marketing the PS3 as a gaming console. It is now the most powerful computer ever built at the lowest price available.

That means the PS3 is not a PlayStation anymore. They just put the name to attract customers to buy the next level in computer hardware. Just install Linux, acquire a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, install a very powerful cooling system and voila! your new computer at the lowest price.

If you are looking for a cool and fun game console, get a Wii; if you want a little more of your gaming experience, xbox 360. Please, don't tell me you still believe that a PS3 is a game console. IT IS NOT!!

emuking
January 17th, 2007, 04:58
wii should should of won, and only because it is actually worth buying, i wonder what sony did to bribe ign, i always wonder about these things, was it subtle or did they just told them what to do and hand over a check :)

dman32
January 17th, 2007, 12:43
Wii for the win! PS3 is a monster of a console, but its Sony, and they suck. Simple.
and you're the epitome of an idiot.

dejkirkby
January 17th, 2007, 12:52
Technically, the PS3 decimates all it's rivals. But, this has to translate to killer apps, and there doesn't seem to be any on the horizon. Ultimately, the sheer muscle technical muscle behind the PS3 could well lead to it's downfall, if reports of how difficult the PS3 is to program for. Sometimes, keeping this simple is the best way forward and the Wii does this in excess. Good GAMES are the key to winning a console war. Come on Sony, put up a fight and release some good games.

10shu
January 17th, 2007, 12:58
Well I have a Wii...haven't touched it in awhile though :rofl:

I kind of agree..I also have a wii et it was fun for about 2 weeks... I m back on my 360 now..

However...the ps3 best new console??how s that possible?? too expenssive, bad hardware, no AAA title..WTF???

10shu
January 17th, 2007, 13:05
Hello:

This debate looks like never ends. IGN has a point that PS3 is a very powerful hardware comparing to, basically, every computing machine available. And it states that very well. Sony is not marketing the PS3 as a gaming console. It is now the most powerful computer ever built at the lowest price available.

That means the PS3 is not a PlayStation anymore. They just put the name to attract customers to buy the next level in computer hardware. Just install Linux, acquire a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, install a very powerful cooling system and voila! your new computer at the lowest price.

If you are looking for a cool and fun game console, get a Wii; if you want a little more of your gaming experience, xbox 360. Please, don't tell me you still believe that a PS3 is a game console. IT IS NOT!!

the ps3 isn t that powerfull...true the ps3 cpu is a really good for math...but not that usefull for game programming...

and using your ps3 as a computer...the ps3 in "linux mode" got no acces to 3d acceleration, and no acces to the multi cpu cell thingy... so it is pretty limited. You r home pc is probably more powerfull...

:)

zeon x
January 17th, 2007, 13:43
I realy dont think the PS3 was the best console of 2006.
For a start it isnteven out in the UK/Europe yet. Even in the USA it only just made it into 2006.
Plus the games available during the 2006 launchwerent that great.
personnaly i would have liked to have seen the award goto the Wii, but realisticly the award for eh best consol of 2006 should have gone to the PS2, which is still outselling most/all next gen systems, and i dont like the PS2.

PS3 should have been in teh running for the console of the year 2007.
It just like those stupid compilation cd's they release at the end of the year saying they are the best tracks of 2007, even though the songs were released summer 2006.

sinjinn
January 17th, 2007, 15:26
I'm pretty sure that if you have a decent sound system, the sound of the 360 shouldn't matter anyway. And if you DON'T have a decent sound system, you're only experiencing half the game anyway.

But to be scientific, I grabbed my sound level meter (a must have for any audiophile), and put it right back near the fan of the 360, the loudest part. It only registered 54 dB. Considering I live in a college apartment and my roomies are next door playing Xbox with the sound cranked, that's still pretty damn good. If you'd like a list of examples of sound levels, check the following site:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Sounds/Decibles.htm

So, in other words, my somewhat quiet apartment room with the 360 running and my Sound level meter right next to it only gave a reading of 54 dB, or by the site above, the noise level of a quiet office.
If you really have a problem with the 360 being loud, you're probably not properly equipped to be using it in the first place. If you spend time worry about how loud it is, you're probably not enjoying your games anyway. Play what you want, but don't rip apart an article unless you have some sort of scientific* evidence to back it up.

*for something to be scientific, it must be objective, reproducible, falsifiable, etc. The test I just performed, was just that. You're welcome to try it with any normal sound meter.

OH, and for the record, my PS2 is louder than my 360, as given by the dB meter. Granted it's first gen, but still...

ou dont need a sound metre , thats a pretty dumb thing to do when the sound metre is going to be measuring noise that the human ear cannot even detect.
my suggestion to you is use your ears. i will bet anyone on this forum who owns a wii and a xbox 360 will atest to the fact that the xbox 360 is NOT quieter than the wii. and also the same goes for the ps3.
your blaming the problem on my sound system when i have both the 360 and the wii going through the exact same system is ridiculous. if both systems go through the exact same sound system and i am positioned in the exact same spot when listening to the sound of both sytems and i measure the sound by using my ears and determine that the noise is way more louder on the 360 than on the nintendo wii, that constitutes an "objective, reproducible, falsifiable" experiment. but i suppose u will save i am being subjective ...but that would be a technicality.

ikarimaru
January 17th, 2007, 16:27
ou dont need a sound metre , thats a pretty dumb thing to do when the sound metre is going to be measuring noise that the human ear cannot even detect.
my suggestion to you is use your ears. i will bet anyone on this forum who owns a wii and a xbox 360 will atest to the fact that the xbox 360 is NOT quieter than the wii. and also the same goes for the ps3.
your blaming the problem on my sound system when i have both the 360 and the wii going through the exact same system is ridiculous. if both systems go through the exact same sound system and i am positioned in the exact same spot when listening to the sound of both sytems and i measure the sound by using my ears and determine that the noise is way more louder on the 360 than on the nintendo wii, that constitutes an "objective, reproducible, falsifiable" experiment. but i suppose u will save i am being subjective ...but that would be a technicality.

People like you are the reason Bose stays in business. A sound meter measures noise that the human ear CAN hear. That's the point. I balance my system with the sound meter so the sound reaching me is balanced from all the speakers. It's something you do when you want to hear decent sound. Game companies and Movie companies have people slaving over sound for their respective mediums, despite the fact some idiot with a system he bought from Aldi is going to be cranking it too loud and distorting it. I prefer to give them the credit they deserve, thank you. That point aside, the decibel system is a system is mainly used for noises that the human ear CAN hear (at least in society, since people tend to not make much fuss about noises above and below our range, although they should since light is the same way... totally different argument). My sound meter is capable of a range from 0 dB to 160 dB. That's well within the range of human hearing. When I did the experiment, I wasn't doing a comparative "guess" like you are. I was using a device that allowed me to MEASURE the sound level. You have a valid point, the 360 is louder than the Wii... Well, duh. It's running a little hotter, so the fan is going all the time. That wasn't the point of this argument. When you say that a 360 is "as loud as a hovercraft" (as ridiculous as this claim is), you're still trying to make the point that the 360 is loud. My projector is louder than my 360, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it any less. On top of that, if you think 54 dB is loud, you need to get your hearing checked because you obviously have hypersensitive ears. On top of that, you shouldn't be ripping apart an article that tried to be scientific, because you sure haven't added anything to the argument by saying, "OMG, they're totally louder than one another because my ears tell me so". Yes, that would be the definition of subjective.

P.S. I have all the systems and I don't usually sit around thinking, "Oh god, that thing is so atrociously loud that it's keeping me from enjoying my game!" Put up or shut up. When you start designing embedded circuits and have to deal with heat issues, the last thing you're thinking about is "How can I keep some nerd on the internet from complaining about the noise?"

directive0
January 17th, 2007, 17:05
Well for everyone that went out and bought a Wii (right here!) this article might not sit well. But guys, lets face it, the ps3 is THE new console. In terms of raw hardware it is the most advanced, maybe not the freshest idea but its definitly the next generation of console graphics. The complete integration of the PC paradigm into the lucrative but quirky videogame world.

HOWEVER, this concept is going to take time and an existing market to be really successful. As it stands right now, there doesn't appear to be a large one at the ready. Sony is taking a gamble and loosing money on each console to cater to a small minority of the gaming community who can afford a pricey console. Whereas Ninty seems to be returning to the roots of the video game market; the family and 1st timer demographic. Who will win? If I knew I'd call my stock broker, but really it doesn't matter.

The Wii doesn't need praise to be a cool little system, but it IS WHAT IT IS: a GC v1.5 with a motion sensing pointer interface. You can't pretend its a complete overhaul, because it isnt. But really, thats part of the genuis of the whole concept. Instead of competing in the next-gen arms race, Nintendo is saying that the future lies in gameplay and innovative CONCEPTS not hardware. And I agree, the wiimote has and WILL save console FPS's from being clumsy and boring button mashing (for me, anyways), and while this concept is easily applied to any other console, the Wii did it FIRST and will always be regarded as such.

If the PS3 prevails, then GOOD ON SONY! They took a gamble and it payed off, but that doesn't mean there won't be a market for the Wii or the XBOX.

Personally, I find this a really interesting time to be in the scene and I don't think there are any wrong answers as gaming is all about fun and I know I'll have fun on an Xbox, ps3 or a Wii.

ikarimaru
January 17th, 2007, 19:10
Well for everyone that went out and bought a Wii (right here!) this article might not sit well. But guys, lets face it, the ps3 is THE new console. In terms of raw hardware it is the most advanced, maybe not the freshest idea but its definitly the next generation of console graphics. The complete integration of the PC paradigm into the lucrative but quirky videogame world.

HOWEVER, this concept is going to take time and an existing market to be really successful. As it stands right now, there doesn't appear to be a large one at the ready. Sony is taking a gamble and loosing money on each console to cater to a small minority of the gaming community who can afford a pricey console. Whereas Ninty seems to be returning to the roots of the video game market; the family and 1st timer demographic. Who will win? If I knew I'd call my stock broker, but really it doesn't matter.

The Wii doesn't need praise to be a cool little system, but it IS WHAT IT IS: a GC v1.5 with a motion sensing pointer interface. You can't pretend its a complete overhaul, because it isnt. But really, thats part of the genuis of the whole concept. Instead of competing in the next-gen arms race, Nintendo is saying that the future lies in gameplay and innovative CONCEPTS not hardware. And I agree, the wiimote has and WILL save console FPS's from being clumsy and boring button mashing (for me, anyways), and while this concept is easily applied to any other console, the Wii did it FIRST and will always be regarded as such.

If the PS3 prevails, then GOOD ON SONY! They took a gamble and it payed off, but that doesn't mean there won't be a market for the Wii or the XBOX.

Personally, I find this a really interesting time to be in the scene and I don't think there are any wrong answers as gaming is all about fun and I know I'll have fun on an Xbox, ps3 or a Wii.

You sir, are my personal hero. Some good points...

Makaveli777
January 17th, 2007, 19:21
directive0 had pretty much the most intelligent post without pointlessly bashing any consoles. I applaud you because that is almost never done around here.

Anyway personally I believe PS3 did deserve to win on the basis they chose it on. On the games to come (MGS4, FF13, Virtua Fighter, Devil May Cry, Tekken 6, Killzone 2) the hardware, and the linux for emulators. I believe it is the best console so far. The Wii is good too ofcourse but their launch wasn't to great either. Their best game was a gamecube game that was supposed to be released about two years ago. Only time will tell though which will have better games.

sinjinn
January 17th, 2007, 21:47
People like you are the reason Bose stays in business. A sound meter measures noise that the human ear CAN hear. That's the point. I balance my system with the sound meter so the sound reaching me is balanced from all the speakers. It's something you do when you want to hear decent sound. Game companies and Movie companies have people slaving over sound for their respective mediums, despite the fact some idiot with a system he bought from Aldi is going to be cranking it too loud and distorting it. I prefer to give them the credit they deserve, thank you. That point aside, the decibel system is a system is mainly used for noises that the human ear CAN hear (at least in society, since people tend to not make much fuss about noises above and below our range, although they should since light is the same way... totally different argument). My sound meter is capable of a range from 0 dB to 160 dB. That's well within the range of human hearing. When I did the experiment, I wasn't doing a comparative "guess" like you are. I was using a device that allowed me to MEASURE the sound level. You have a valid point, the 360 is louder than the Wii... Well, duh. It's running a little hotter, so the fan is going all the time. That wasn't the point of this argument. When you say that a 360 is "as loud as a hovercraft" (as ridiculous as this claim is), you're still trying to make the point that the 360 is loud. My projector is louder than my 360, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it any less. On top of that, if you think 54 dB is loud, you need to get your hearing checked because you obviously have hypersensitive ears. On top of that, you shouldn't be ripping apart an article that tried to be scientific, because you sure haven't added anything to the argument by saying, "OMG, they're totally louder than one another because my ears tell me so". Yes, that would be the definition of subjective.

P.S. I have all the systems and I don't usually sit around thinking, "Oh god, that thing is so atrociously loud that it's keeping me from enjoying my game!" Put up or shut up. When you start designing embedded circuits and have to deal with heat issues, the last thing you're thinking about is "How can I keep some nerd on the internet from complaining about the noise?"

ok..well you agree that the xbox 360 infact IS quieter than the wii. does that not fly in the face of the results from the 'scientific' experiment this guy did. and also, it is not just me who is saying this. the xbox 360 is KNOWN for being loud and is already recognised as a problem with the system.
and also embedded curcuits have nothign to do with the issue, the majority of sound is coming from the dvd drive , a technology that is a decade and a half old. it is not the curcuits but a rush to market it that has caused these problems.
you may be right on the decibel test , but thats because you know about this stuff, i am pointing out though taht a decibell test is not needed, at all, because the sound difference is so obvious.
the so called 'scientific test' flys in the face of common sense, and it is not necessary to go in to decibel testing to invalidate it because the results are obviously absurd. the only thing you can do is ask is how these results were obtained and identify all the errors in the test....e'g...no neutrality of mic positioning .......and also...the graph , if u have seen it totally misrepresents the information. base line and noise from the nintendo wii's internal hard drive are equal....which is correct as the wii has NOW hard drive. but rather than make a fair representation of this on the graph the wii's non existant hard drive has the a big blue next to it. surely he could have minused the base line to give a more accurate representation, but then again that probably wasnt his aim. yes i will rip his testing methods apart based solely on common sense, nothing more is needed.

rabidchild
January 18th, 2007, 22:24
It seems a little ridiculous calling the PS3 the best console of 2006 based on the premise that it will have better games in a year or two, doesn't it?

Adrenalin
January 19th, 2007, 04:12
PS3, expensive hi-tech hardware. Wii, innovative, quality fun.

I prefer quality games over quality extra features.

pakman
January 19th, 2007, 04:48
wow a lot of people have biast opinions. besides directive0 said it all. plus who cares about ign do what you want, alot of ppl get every console or atlest 2.

souLLy
January 19th, 2007, 08:06
hahahaha best of 2006, I wonder how much they were given to write that. That's comedy gold.

Cap'n 1time
January 19th, 2007, 09:48
hahahaha best of 2006, I wonder how much they were given to write that. That's comedy gold.

actually, the way ign seems to operate... this wouldnt surprise me.

I think the software libraries are still far too small to declare a winner. Actually I would declare the 360 the winner due only to the fact that it has several decent titles. I would say that, but i'd just feel dirty. :p

Holiday sells seem to point to the Wii as the winner. While the PS3 has your usual mix of racing and FPS's, the wii has some unique, ones.

Honestly I cant understand how IGN declared the ps3 as the winner. You can have the most powerful computer in the world, but without any software... well its just a box. As soully said, i think someone paid someone to say that... well that or IGN just really stands for "ignorant game network".

The whole linux on a console thing is sort of silly though. While its alot of fun to run a Mail server on the Dreamcast, use IRC and Mail Clients on the DS, and even have a somewhat decent desktop on the Xbox it isnt practical at all. Maybe its just the fact that ive been running linux on different consoles for years, but the idea dosnt seem to excite me anymore.

gdf
January 19th, 2007, 10:39
wii should have won