PDA

View Full Version : Wii's Wario wary of widescreen

wraggster
January 16th, 2007, 18:03
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/16/wiis-wario-wary-of-widescreen/)

Weally. In posting his impressions of Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, Chris Kohler at Game|Life adds yet another title to his 4:3 Hall of Shame. Joining Rayman: Raving Rabbids and Trauma Center: Second Opinion, Wario's waggle-fest only supports a 4:3 display ratio, generally known as fool fullscreen. While it's easy to agree that the lack of proper widescreen support doesn't impact on the game's fun, it still remains an annoying oversight, especially for HDTV owners.

The Wii's shunning of HDTV support is an understandable topic (and already debated to death), but inconsistent EDTV and widescreen support just seems lazy in the year 2007. Several Gamecube and PS2 games provided different display modes -- heck, a widescreen mode is one of the selling points for the Wii version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Come on Nintendo, put things in perspective here.

werpu
January 16th, 2007, 21:53
Wario Ware is the best looking title on hdtv so far. I was not quite sure why, but I am pretty much convinced due to lack of antialiasing in fonts and very intensly contrasted colors.
While Zelda still looks sort of washed out on HDTV with a component cable, due to its blurry textures, Wario looks sharp and bright.
The aspect ratio issue was not noticed by me until I read the article here.