PDA

View Full Version : PSP: Convert MVS and CPS2 ROMS For NJ's Arcade Emulators On OS X With MacX_romcnv

b8a
January 17th, 2007, 11:45
I've spent a bit of my spare time over the last few months porting NJ's ROM converters to OS X. Anyway, what with all of the different OS X versions and the different PowerPC and Intel macs, I do not know how many setups this will work under, but I've thoroughly tested it on a PowerPC running 10.3.9. Feedback on how this works on other people's Macs would be very much appreciated (although I don't pretend that I'll be able to do anything about problems arising from setups that I can't duplicate/anticipate).

It should go without saying, but this is only for use with games that you legally own. Accordingly, I have only tested it with a few games (and even then, I've only checked that they initially work, I haven't had the chance to extensively test-play any yet). If you find that this doesn't work with any of your games, please post which one(s) they are and I will see if there isn't anything I can do to fix it.

The usage should be self explanatory, but complete instructions are included in the readme file.

Much thanks to NJ and the original MAME team for making this possible.

Note About The GUIs
In a seperate thread, Paladinja pointed out that if you choose the "Generate compressed cache files" under the CPS2 section, and then later try to unzip and use those files, that they WON'T work. When I first read that, I thought "of course", but then I recently launched the GUI and saw that displayed text message does say that it WILL work. I appologize for this, but the cache system has undergone many changes since I started porting this tool, and originally the zipped cache files WERE the same as the unzipped files. I can't remember when the change occured, but the data contained in each file type is now indeed different. So, rather than releasing a GUI update just to fix that one sentance, I'm letting you know here.

Update: 3/14/2007
These are the backend command line tools for converting roms for compatibility with the 2.0.6 versions of both emulators. As before, I haven't tested much, and if you like graphical interfaces, then you'll need to add these to one of the appropriate packages from below.

Due to the fact that NJ made some major changes to the source code, I think that these will run on Intels, but I don't know for sure.

If these don't work on Intels, cheer up, because NJ's raw source is now super-easy to compile on macs, so just go ahead and grab the sources and compile yourself some converters.

These steps were all it took to compile the converters from NJ's virgin source on my mac:

Change all instances of "zopen(" to something else (I use "z_open("). This doesn't even take 10 seconds using a text editor that can recursively search-and-replace. TextWrangler (freeware) does this beautifully.
Remove all <malloc.h> headers. I only found one in common.h and unzip.c each.
cd into the romcnv source directory and compile! (make -f makefile.mvs UNIX=1)
I always ran into a problem at this point that required me to run: ranlib ./obj_mvs/zlib.a
Run make one more time

Of course, I had to tweak the code to make them compatible with the GUI front end, so raw compiles from NJ's source won't work with my GUI. -- Just in case anyone was interested.

Update: 2/18/2007
Finished porting the converters for the 2.0 versions of both emulators. I've tested these even less then the previous versions, but the tests I have done have gone well. Please let me know if you have any problems.

These are just the command line tools, so if you prefer to use a graphical interface, you'll also need one of the GUI versions from below.

Update: 1/20/2007
There have been reports that the GUI below doesn't recognize zip files for some people. The details of the reports have been somewhat vague so I can't say for sure, but I think this is a 10.4+ specific problem. In any case, if this is a problem that you've had, either use the raw CLI backends or try this alternate GUI which has been confirmed to address this specific issue. This package does not contain any of the nessecary CLI backends, so you will have to use use the ones from the 2.0 update above, or the original release below. See this post (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=333222&postcount=14) for instructions on where to put the CLI backends.

Original GUI+Converters Release: 1/17/2007
This is the original release package which contains both the GUI and the CLI backends for romcnv_mvs for MVSPSP 1.63 and romcnv_cps2 for CPS2PSP 1.66. Source is included in this package. There are English and Japanese versions of the program and all materials, and I can always package more if anyone out there is willing to do translations for other languages.

Chrice
January 17th, 2007, 13:15
Excellent work!! The os x/psp scene is getting bigger and bigger!! :)

Ill test it as soon as possible and report back!

wilbur
January 17th, 2007, 14:49
Thanks b8a.
there needs to be more mac friendly psp code. We all know macs are the way forward. Windows is Gash

grit
January 17th, 2007, 16:06
ThanX!!

Accordion
January 17th, 2007, 17:39
glory!!!

any reasons for me not to boot windows is always great news!

Doofus
January 17th, 2007, 19:29
I've been here since he beginning of this madness... im not a programer by any extent... but i HAD to stop and thank you for taking the time to port this to OSX i was feelig a bit left out of all the NEO GEO goodness i hope u feel honored as this is my first ever response to a release .. im hoping ot encourage more mac development.. RESPECT..

Doofus
January 17th, 2007, 19:30
heh before anyone calls me on the join date... nevermind that my orignal acccount dosent work , or i lost my password..

dcorreia
January 17th, 2007, 22:35
Tried it but it won't recognize any zip files.

It's a PowerPC Build. I'm using an Intel MAC.

Could this be compiled as Universal? It might solve the problem I'm having.

Chrice
January 17th, 2007, 23:55
Yeah im having the same issues. :S

Can mac peoples please have a look at my blog, link below! Cheers

paladinja
January 18th, 2007, 05:23
Cheers to b8a for the the attempt, in fact: BIGUP to EVERYONE supporting the macmaziv in the PSP scene! That being said.. Sadly this isn't working on my Mac Powerbook G4. Loads up all fine & dandy, but doesn't recognize the zipped game files. I also tried the "convert multiple files" option by putting a few game zips into a separate folder and going that route, but that also failed to do anything. So my questions are:
1) Can anyone fix this? Mac support could only help the scene peeps, smell a friend!
2) What kind of macs WOULD this work on? (don'tevenMAKE me dust off my G4 desktop)
***MOST IMPORTANTLY*** (Moderators...?)
3) Which "original pre-converted files" can be removed from the zip resulting in a smaller file? I'll do it manually and re-zip if need be, but do NJ's PC converters do this?

Thanks to anyone who helps this happen!!!

b8a
January 18th, 2007, 10:01
Yikes. I was thinking this probably wouldn't work on Intels, but I'm truly surprised about it not working on the PowerPC (since that's what I built it on).

Could you guys tell me how far you got(ie, does it even start the conversion process, etc...), and exactly what errors you're getting? I'm not exactly sure what to make of "doesn't recognize the zipped game files" and "it won't recognize any zip files". This could be a simple fix as I built it to filter files based on zip paramaters.

Similarly, has anybody tried the CLI backends? Only the GUI attempts to filter based on ZIP paramaters. The CLI backends are pretty much straight ports from NJ's originals. The GUI is a whole complicated layer that attempts to make the process easier, but ultimately it just uses the backends, so the results will be the same.

Also, please let me know what OS version you tried it on.
Remember, I built and tested this on PowerPC G4 running OS X 10.3.9 If that's what you're running and it still doesn't work, I would REALLY love to hear from you.

I would also love to hear if anyone has used this successfully on their machines yet.

paladinja:
when the converter is running, it will display a list of files that it's processing... Those are the files that can safely be removed from the original zip.

Chrice
January 18th, 2007, 17:47
Yeah i can t select the zip files, tried the folder option and it lets me start the conversion then immediately says its complete but hasnt created any files or done anything that i can see.

Im using a powerbook g4 running 10.4.8

benn
January 19th, 2007, 09:15
nice one. i will try and get this done over wkend.
though i am running an intel 10.4.2 so prob not going to work based on other posts. i will let you know how far i get tho.

thanks for helping mac psp scene

b8a
January 19th, 2007, 09:56
Alright, based on Chrice's report (thanks!), here's a different version. I believe that the problem is in 10.4, but since no one else who has actually had the problem has reported their OS version, I don't know. (For that matter, no one's even confirmed that it works on their machines, so I can only guess that this is the problem and the only problem...) For the time being, if the GUI isn't recognizing zip files, try this version.

I think the cause of this problem has to do with UTIs which were introduced with OS X 10.3, but whose use was greatly expanded in 10.4. In the previous version I used a custom UTI definition (since, to the best of my knowledge, 10.3 lacks an official definition) to attempt to validate zip files. Since I lack the development environment to fully diagnose and solve this problem, I've simply replaced the function which previously checked file UTIs. It now performs a simple filename extension check. This means:

1) The zip files you attempt to use must have the .zip extension (or .ZIP or any other variant)
2) This version of the GUI has no means of determining if the file you feed it is a valid zip file or not. That means that it'll try to process any files that you feed it that have a .zip extension. Text files, graphic files, anything. This obviously isn't the scenario that this tool was designed for, so I suggest that you only feed it valid zip files (and/or only folders that contain only valid zip files).

Since this is only a simple GUI update, you'll need the CLI backends from the previous release to use it. If you don't know how, follow these steps:

1) Once you have downloaded the previous release, ctrl+click on the (old) MacX_romcnv application icon and choose "Show Package Contents" from the pop up menu that is displayed.
2) Open up "Contents", then "MacOS". There should be a folder there called "converters".
3) Follow the same steps as above with the new MacX_romcnv application and copy the "converters" folder over to the same location in the new MacX_romcnv application.

@benn:
My pleasure. Good luck.

Chrice
January 19th, 2007, 17:19
CPS2 side all working!! Excellent work buddy!! Ill test the other hopefully 2moro!

THANKS!!

seros
February 19th, 2007, 15:29
Thanx alot for all your hard work on this. The new link for the 2.0 converter doesn't seem to be working though? it jus takes me to the login/access denied screen? Any help would be appreciated..cheers.

*Just used Camino and it d.l fine.. Thanx again..

kyo00
February 19th, 2007, 21:59
Thanx alot for all your hard work on this. The new link for the 2.0 converter doesn't seem to be working though? it jus takes me to the login/access denied screen? Any help would be appreciated..cheers.

Try Firefox!!

I have problem!!!MacX_romcnv don't see my cps2 and neogeo roms.zip....why??

seros
February 19th, 2007, 23:49
I have problem!!!MacX_romcnv don't see my cps2 and neogeo roms.zip....why??

Its working ok here.. d.l "Attachment 14555" from the first page and use that. Then remember to replace its "converters" folder with the one from "mac_romcnv_2_0.zip" using the instructions a few posts above.. hope that helps..

b8a
February 20th, 2007, 09:49
kyo00: Yup, the instructions that seros posted should solve your problem. The only reason why "Attachment 14555" exists is to address that issue. (!_!)

paladinja
February 22nd, 2007, 20:12
Sorry if I was unclear earlier. Got these all up & running! SO nice not to have to bounce things off of my girl's PC! You ROCK b8a!! Question: Will these work on NJ's newest versions (the cps2 with ad-hoc, etc)? Also, could someone "in the know" post a links to NJ's newest? I missed a few days of homebrew/hacker news once I got Streetfighter EX2, Jojo's, & Tobal2 rocking on pops! OMMFG! Time to get back to the CPSgoodnes though, Strider & Captain Commando are ready to search the city for strangers to wreak, anyone live in NYC?... or we could play... quiz & dragons...:rolleyes:

diceone
March 5th, 2007, 04:38
I installed your converter and tried running the latest build of NJs Adhoc CPS2 emulator.
I got the error of the cache files being in unsupported V09
and
current required version is V20

please rebuild cache file

do i need to update my package from you?
or is that not a resolved issue?

I wish this worked on intel macs.

diceone
March 5th, 2007, 05:09
CPS2 + adhoc is now working
tested on power pc 10.3.9 using vers1 + 2.0 converters
tested on macbook pro intel 10.4.8 using vers1.0a + 2.0 converters

b8a
March 14th, 2007, 11:45
@paladinja: Good to hear that you got the previous versions working. I think there was a certain degree of compatibility with the cache files created from those and the AdHoc emulators, but you're best off using the newest converters. Hopefully the ones I just posted will help you out.

btw, NJ's site is: http://nj-emu.hp.infoseek.co.jp

...if you're still looking for the latest official files.

@diceone: Whoops! Sorry it took me so long to get the newest versions up (I've been busy). I think the newest versions should work on Intel though, so if you give it a try, please let me know how it turns out.

grit
March 14th, 2007, 23:23
b8a, thanX again!! :)

superfan
March 24th, 2007, 13:27
Thanks a lot. Great work. I appreciate it. NJ's emulator is my favorite, but getting on boot camp was terrible. Thanks muchly!!!

dcorreia
October 26th, 2007, 02:03
Any chance of this getting updated to the new rom converters?

paladinja
October 26th, 2007, 14:43
Yes that would be cool, because I am SO lost as to which converters are needed nowadays (haven't upgraded my emus in a while)

b8a
November 12th, 2007, 09:26
Sorry guys, just noticed your posts.

Unfortunately I've got far too much going on right now to look into what it would take to update the converters and 2.0.6 still works fine for me so I don't really have the motivation to do it either. It would've been a big help if NJ hadn't branched out the development of his emulators, but as it is, I don't even know what's going on with them anymore. Personally I thought the changes were primarily for the slim, which I was under the impression was only developed so that the converters wouldn't even be needed anymore. Obviously there's still a need for the converters if people are asking about them, but I just haven't had the time to stay on top of the news.

But, as long as the converters haven't radically changed (and I doubt they have), they can still be easily compiled to run on OS X. And since all of the tools needed come with every modern Mac, you don't really have any excuses not to do it (!_!) Instructions for doing so are still in the first post of this thread (obviously you need to install the Developer Tools first...).

I'll look into updating when I get some free time again, but that probably won't be anytime soon.

chuwii
November 8th, 2008, 02:01
hey man could you update the converters to v22 ?? what you have here is v20 and its not compatible with the new version...

Nocreator
December 1st, 2008, 08:46
Hi im new to this site.Im look'n for an emulator that is mac compatible,please be patient with me im still kind of new to the Mac osx.THANX!!

njury77
May 22nd, 2009, 02:55
okay im am running a mac mini with osx when i use your application it will not recognize any zip file.. wtf .. tried lastbld2.zip and yea i drag and drop and pick a destination and the begin stays grey and inactive.. I have been traying all day to get at least one game to work on mvspsp 2.06 adhoc and NOTHING IS WORKING ARRRG!!I am running mvspsp on a psp phat 5.0-6 m33. please email me back with a response at [email protected]

santaclaz
October 26th, 2011, 07:00
this may be a bump idk im not on fourms much but whats up with the attachments, i cant get accesses to them it just takes me to a page saying

"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/sendmessage.php)" i'm trying to get accesses to the Attachment 14555 (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14555) that allows me to fix the .ZIP issue for 10.4(i'm on 10.5.8).
i'd appreciate if someone got back to me on this with at least a private message or something at the least i've been trying to find ways to convert this stuff for weeks

jhone
November 4th, 2011, 15:38
thank you so much
for this session
and pleas don't through in banned list
excuse for bad english